Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Strange has a Budget of $165 million. About the average for a non avenger Movie. (Gog was $170 AM was $130)
    Is that prod. budget for Strange accurate? I can't find any confirmation. BTW GoTG had a final prod. budget of $232 million.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    If it doesn't do better than Ant-Man I'd be surprised. And Ant-Man made over $519 million.

The only way I could see a Marvel movie doing bad at the box office right now is if it was put up against some bigger juggernaut.
    It's only up against Dreamworks Trolls as significant competition. Family films run a risk of syphoning off viewers from films like this, but it's hard to read Trolls. It could be a flop.

BANNED

CGI cartoons have been doing crazy good this year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    If it doesn't do better than Ant-Man I'd be surprised. And Ant-Man made over $519 million.

The only way I could see a Marvel movie doing bad at the box office right now is if it was put up against some bigger juggernaut.
    But what studio would put a movie out against an MCU film?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's only up against Dreamworks Trolls as significant competition. Family films run a risk of syphoning off viewers from films like this, but it's hard to read Trolls. It could be a flop.
    I saw the poster and thought "oh my god, they're really determined to mine every toy possible". There's even an emoji movie of all things. To call this bottom of the barrel is an insult to the underside of a round wood container.

All-New Member

And yet no one has mentioned Mads Mikkelsen!!! The cast for Dr Strange is probably the strongest yet for a Marvel movie (Avengers had a few years to put the pieces into place). And if a decent amount of screen time is given to Mads then I'm expecting him to be a strong presence. Check out his Danish stuff (Pusher 2, Open hearts, After the wedding, The Hunt) to see how good this guy is.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I saw the poster and thought "oh my god, they're really determined to mine every toy possible". There's even an emoji movie of all things. To call this bottom of the barrel is an insult to the underside of a round wood container.
    I hear they're mulling over an Asterisk franchise, too. They're counting on people misreading it for "Asterix." Should do very well in Europe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unicron1978 View Post
    And yet no one has mentioned Mads Mikkelsen!!! The cast for Dr Strange is probably the strongest yet for a Marvel movie (Avengers had a few years to put the pieces into place). And if a decent amount of screen time is given to Mads then I'm expecting him to be a strong presence. Check out his Danish stuff (Pusher 2, Open hearts, After the wedding, The Hunt) to see how good this guy is.
    Very good point! He's a superb actor.

Yea like Guardians of the Galaxy I am not to familiar with character. I have only read a few Marvel comics with Dr. Strange in it so I will be going into the movie blind. But I am hoping the movie will be a surpise hit like Guardians was as the aspect of the multiverse in the MCU is very appealing. If this works that means Fantastic Four, and X Men could come over to the MCU fairly easily despite being owned by different studios. Just remember a lot of fans on forums thought Guardians was going to be a flop because of the obscure characters and whatnot and we all know how that turned out. So I wouldn't count this movie out. Also it's MARVEL people will be flocking to see this just because of that fact alone.

I'm sure it will be fine, the Iron Man and Thor Sequels weren't very good and people still watched them.

BANNED

500-600 million easily. Holiday season also.. Oh yeah It's gonna make money.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

As others have already mentioned, fans thought GotG and Ant-Man would flop but they didn't, and neither will Doctor Strange as it will do well, not on the level of Civil War, but it will be a hit. If anything, I suspect the film will do quite well because of one particular factor....Cumberbabes, the legion of female Benedict Cumberbatch fans who figure to flock to multiplexes to see their hero. Sounds silly, stupid even? You betcha, but don't count that out as a reason for a robust success at the box office.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    But what studio would put a movie out against an MCU film?
    All of them other than Disney. Then again, Disney put their own movies against each other already this year, so even there you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicron1978 View Post
    You say that Avengers thing like The Avengers has the best cast of a Marvel movie.

It doesn't seem to be getting as much marketing as Civil War and Rogue One, but then again Civil War was a summer release, and Rogue One is well, Star Wars.

Mads is also in Rogue One, although probably not as big a role, as I don't think he's been in any of the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Yes.

Benedict Cumberbatch doesn't have a dedicated fan-base enough for this movie to carry its legs. Should have cast Will Smith instead!
    ...except for the fact that Sherlock is the 8th most popular British drama TV shows of all time, and had sold-out showings of the Christmas special stateside last year. Which means he has international appeal.
    Last edited by micahtaylor; 09-29-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Quote did not format