Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    i can't believe i'm saying this but i actually somewhat agree with you, but only on the part about not being a part of the solution. it's not finchs job to showcase the good side of feminism, but he didn't have to go out of his way to put it in a negative light, even if unintentionally. one of the women in there claims not to be a feminist because she acknowledges that the current movement is not what it used to be.

finch's use of the word doesn't help her see what real feminism is about. if it's a topic he wished to avoid, he shouldn't of said anything about it.
    Clearly is not his job teach about feminism, this not mean that he can't help people understand the movement.

what he said wasn't helpful for him, feminist and the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He is going to help give the real meaning for the word "feminism." He and his wife are going to be writing "Wonder Woman." A book that is all about showing the real meaning of feminism by definition.

Once again, unless the Finches try to deliberately sabotage Diana as a feminist character, then she WILL be a true feminist. It's not even up for debate. "Wonder Woman" equals "Everything right about feminism." Unless she's being written badly, that is always going to be the truth.
    how they will show the meaning of the word feminism if :
    finch has no idea what it means.

they aren't writing a feminist character. Meredith said she is a female icon, I really on't know what it means.
    I really don't have high hopers or any hope for this run
    Last edited by Blacksun; 07-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I love the soldier in Afghanistan.

Sorry, lady, but without feminsm you really would not be allowed to wear that uniform.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    how they will show the meaning of the word feminism if :
    finch has no idea what it means.
    How do you know he doesn't know what "feminism" means? He didn't say anything like that. He just said that "feminist" was the wrong all-inclusive word to describe how Diana was going to be in this book. If he said Diana was going to be a misandrist, or a pushover who lets men walk all over her, then THAT would indicate that he has no idea what feminism means.

they aren't writing a feminist character. Meredith said she is a female icon, I really on't know what it means.
    I really don't have high hopers or any hope for this run
    They ARE writing a feminist character. They are writing Wonder Woman. A female icon. A woman who is considered the gold standard in her particular media.

One more time. If they write Diana the way she's supposed to be written? Then she'll be a feminist. The very best feminist in fiction, in fact. It doesn't matter that Finch didn't want to use the word to describe her. If they write her the way she's supposed to be, then she'll be a feminist.

It's really that simple.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

How do you know he doesn't know what "feminism" means? He didn't say anything like that. He just said that "feminist" was the wrong all-inclusive word to describe how Diana was going to be in this book. If he said Diana was going to be a misandrist, or a pushover who lets men walk all over her, then THAT would indicate that he has no idea what feminism means.

They ARE writing a feminist character. They are writing Wonder Woman. A female icon. A woman who is considered the gold standard in her particular media.

One more time. If they write Diana the way she's supposed to be written? Then she'll be a feminist. The very best feminist in fiction, in fact. It doesn't matter that Finch didn't want to use the word to describe her. If they write her the way she's supposed to be, then she'll be a feminist.

It's really that simple.
    on his explanation, Fich seemed very ignorant of what the word means and I don't have high hopes of him edcating himself on the subject.

write a feminist character doesn't mean they will write her as feminist. Specially when one of them say she is not feminist and the other say female icon

BANNED

on his explanation, Fich seemed very ignorant of what the word means and I don't have high hopes of him edcating himself on the subject.

write a feminist character doesn't mean they will write her as feminist. Specially when one of them say she is not feminist and the other say female icon
    you had me and you lost me lol wth does that even mean?

No one said that she wasn't a feminist! He said NOTHING of the sort. This is verifiable, objective truth.

If they write Wonder Woman AS Wonder Woman, they'll be writing her as a feminist. Once again, unless they write her as a misandrist or a pushover who let's men walk all over her, she will be written as a feminist. And if they write her as a misandrist or a pushover, then they're not writing her as Wonder Woman.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Invincible Member

No one said that she wasn't a feminist! He said NOTHING of the sort. This is verifiable, objective truth.

If they write Wonder Woman AS Wonder Woman, they'll be writing her as a feminist. Once again, unless they write her as a misandrist or a pushover who let's men walk all over her, she will be written as a feminist. And if they write her as a misandrist or a pushover, then they're not writing her as Wonder Woman.

Well...He DID say, "I don't want to say feminist," in his first statement. He was obviously trying to distance the character from that term a bit.

I understand your point that if the Finches write WW the way she was meant to be written, the character will be a feminist role model by default, but that's part of what fueling the controversy, we don't know what kind of comic we're going to get. We might get The Joy Luck Club in a cape or we might get brunette Red Sonja by way of Kill Bill. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well...He DID say, "I don't want to say feminist," in his first statement. He was obviously trying to distance the character from that term a bit.

I understand your point that if the Finches write WW the way she was meant to be written, the character will be a feminist role model by default, but that's part of what fueling the controversy, we don't know what kind of comic we're going to get. We might get The Joy Luck Club in a cape or we might get brunette Red Sonja by way of Kill Bill. We'll just have to wait and see.
    If we get any of the things you describe, the entire fanbase will abandon the book en masse, and the Finches run will last all of three issues.

And since, as you say, we don't know what we're going to get? Then throwing around phrases like "He doesn't want her to be feminist" is just as premature as saying "This is going to be the most GLORIOUS Wonder Woman run in history!"

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

I wouldn't mind some Simone Red Sonja, better than many WW writing in new 52

if they write her as feminist but at same time don't use it to describe her, how people will know it is feminist?
    Last edited by Blacksun; 07-15-2014 at 07:26 PM.