Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    WW should NOT be about idealogy. DC needs to put out the most mainstream interpretstion of Wonder Woman that they can. Too many times throughout the years has WW been overshadowed by more 'exciting' female characters such as Witchblade and Fathom. I want Woder Woman to be as popular as possible and not just be a niche character.
    Her iconic-ness tends to overshadow the character but i guess we are saying virtually the same thing i suspect.

I would like to see a Wonder Woman that embraces all of the virtues of Woman hood instead of being an angry cipher but what do i know?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Demarcoa View Post
    Can't she be both? I don't know... this is what I liked about the latest run of WW, which I admit I loved enough I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to keep reading when it ends. I would certainly argue WW is representing feminist ideals during the run without hitting people over the head with it. It doesn't have to be about feminism, but if there's no ideology or message, than the writing and story is ultimately pointless. So it has to be about something, or we might as well go back to the old days of comics being exclusively for children.
    this /thread

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    this /thread
    I'm new to the forum... can I ask what you mean by "/thread" ... WoW reference? I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

BANNED

I'm new to the forum... can I ask what you mean by "/thread" ... WoW reference? I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
    I believe it means "I think this is so good, that we can end the thread right here."

It's a reference to hypertext markup language that has [something] at the beginning and [/something] at the end.

In fact, if you hit "reply with quote" under this post, you'll see exactly that around my quote...

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

He means the thread is over because he agrees with the post. But it's still open, people can still post.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    He means the thread is over because he agrees with the post. But it's still open, people can still post.
    this, all though at this poit i think has pretty much got all the tinfoil out of the way lol

When we think about it all the big three are ideologies. U can't say she should not be about ideology unless u are talking about the story itself okay but Diana symbolize not only to love yourself but to not let others put you down. It doesn't have to be stated and hit you over the head the story itself should tell u her ideologies. She is about empowerment and justice. She about reform and love. She is about loyalty and forgiveness. She about sacrifice for the good of others. She as shown this though her stories. Sure she is a feminist but she doesn't talk about it she helps them by learning about themselves. These are her ideologies. Which as been always with her.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    When we think about it all the big three are ideologies. U can't say she should not be about ideology unless u are talking about the story itself okay but Diana symbolize not only to love yourself but to not let others put you down. It doesn't have to be stated and hit you over the head the story itself should tell u her ideologies. She is about empowerment and justice. She about reform and love. She is about loyalty and forgiveness. She about sacrifice for the good of others. She as shown this though her stories. Sure she is a feminist but she doesn't talk about it she helps them by learning about themselves. These are her ideologies. Which as been always with her.
    Exactly right.

This is about as good a summary of Diana's ideologies as I've ever heard.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    WW should NOT be about idealogy. DC needs to put out the most mainstream interpretstion of Wonder Woman that they can. Too many times throughout the years has WW been overshadowed by more 'exciting' female characters such as Witchblade and Fathom. I want Woder Woman to be as popular as possible and not just be a niche character.
    Witchblade I can give you, but Fathom?

Edit: Comics are pretty much a niche hobby, despite being idea farms for movie, tv and video game franchises these days anyway.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Following a controversial comment stating he did not want to call Wonder Woman a feminist, David Finch took to twitter to clarify his stance.

Full article here.
    Oh David, you act like you're new to the game.

You're a guy, so that's basically strike one right there.

Then you decided to talk about feminism and Wonder Woman at the same time, so that's pretty much strike two.

Then you failed to give anything less than a glowing endorsement of both? Haaaave fuuunn. Lol.

Extraordinary Member

The fact is Wonder Woman has not always been a positive feminist character. I've read 60s stories where she lets Steve treat her like a doormat.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The fact is Wonder Woman has not always been a positive feminist character. I've read 60s stories where she lets Steve treat her like a doormat.
    Or how about those wretched 70's stories that tried to appeal to first wave feminists, written by normally talented creators who couldn't seem to write a female character who was not a damsel in distress.

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batzarro View Post
    Or how about those wretched 70's stories that tried to appeal to first wave feminists, written by normally talented creators who couldn't seem to write a female character who was not a damsel in distress.
    70's would have been second wave feminists, unless you're implying the were trying to appeal to those who participated in the women's suffrage movement.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfingers158 View Post
    70's would have been second wave feminists, unless you're implying the were trying to appeal to those who participated in the women's suffrage movement.
    Yes, I stand corrected. Pardons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    What I got from the original interview was they were going for less feminism and more superhero...
    Because she can't be both?