Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I'm glad he apologized and maybe this will help him think more about how he portrays her in the book. (Not that any of us know how that will be yet.)

It's an important discussion to have, learn from, and then move on from. It's clear they're excited to take Diana on, so like most creators, I'll give them a shot with shaping her and her world. I do like his points about Diana being "fallible," "human," and "real." She's suffered from being and icon (which she is and should be) at the cost of characterization in the past. I've enjoyed Azz take on Diana. She's proved to be human, make mistakes and be heroic and leader under with pen, which has been fun.

We'll see what the Finchs do, but I'm ready to see Diana dealing with superheroics and some of her supervillains again.

And comparing one comment, to which he willingly clarified, to any of the above monstrous acts is beyond insulting to the man.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    He should have to apologize. Being afraid of feminism should be one of the most embarrassing things. On purpose or not, he's encouraging people to misunderstand the movement. It's so common and it's so ignorant.
    Yeah, if anything, the fact he probably didn't do so on purpose is the scariest proposition.
    It means that he genuinely doesn't know what feminism mean, and uses it in a way that encourage misconceptions. Unwillingly. And it means a large portion of the population just doesn't know what the word, what the concept means anymore.
    It's just.....sad, really.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Its sad alright. But I'm sad for entirely different reasons.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Feminist is is a dirty word in many circles. I can understand not wanting your comic to be stuck with a label.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, if anything, the fact he probably didn't do so on purpose is the scariest proposition.
    It means that he genuinely doesn't know what feminism mean, and uses it in a way that encourage misconceptions. Unwillingly. And it means a large portion of the population just doesn't know what the word, what the concept means anymore.
    It has been this way for a long time. Its no different than the way people corrupt and denigrate words like conservative, liberal, progressive, etc. The opposition re-defines what a movement means through fallacious arguments and pointing to the most radical wing of the movement and claiming it speaks for the whole .
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 07-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    DC should just stop having their creators do interviews on the internet.
    I could live with that.

Alot of them are not that interesting anyway.

Spectacular Member

He is not familiar with feminism or it's history. He's a comic book artist known for drawing action poses, and barbie doll looking women, etc. This does not make him a scholar. Not all people can be all things, and people shouldn't have to be actually, so eh, meh. Should he be drawing WW, probably not, since his women look like souless mannequins. Should his wife be writing it... Probably not. Since she has no writing credits to speak of, unless she's some undiscovered prodigy (doubtful). More likely it will be: "Honey, I really want a splash scene with WW decapitating a werewolf here. Write that for me, would ya?" "Sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    He is not familiar with feminism or it's history. He's a comic book artist known for drawing action poses, and barbie doll looking women, etc. This does not make him a scholar. Not all people can be all things, and people shouldn't have to be actually, so eh, meh. Should he be drawing WW, probably not, since his women look like souless mannequins. Should his wife be writing it... Probably not. Since she has no writing credits to speak of, unless she's some undiscovered prodigy (doubtful). More likely it will be: "Honey, I really want a splash scene with WW decapitating a werewolf here. Write that for me, would ya?" "Sure!"
    Well....true enough, but it's not like he answered a question about feminism. He's the one who brought it up. If you don't know what a word mean, then just don't use it.

BANNED

IMHO, Wonder Woman can be an feminist icon just for being a strong character, without any feminist preaching. I think that's what Mr. Finch meant, but with some poorly chosen words.

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Jesus, no wonder people are afraid to write Wonder Woman
    And no wonder it's so hard to take her to another media, outside comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Nobody's calling for the Finchs (Finches?) to be raped or murdered or locked up
    Yet. Just wait and see.
    Last edited by Andrew Eldritch; 07-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

the Finchs (Finches?)
    I believe it's "Finchi".

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm glad he apologized
    The most controversial thing to me seems to be figuring out whether or not that was an actual apology.

Always Rakzo

He probably didn't know the definition of the word until after he said it.

Ignorant? Sure, but I don't think he wanted to create a scandal.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Well....true enough, but it's not like he answered a question about feminism. He's the one who brought it up. If you don't know what a word mean, then just don't use it.
    Interviews are difficult. There is always a strong push to sound smart and deep, even if you are just grasping at straws. If people didn't do this, then every interview would be like any interview with Azzarello - awkward and short.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Eldritch View Post
    IMHO, Wonder Woman can be an feminist icon just for being a strong character, without any feminist preaching. I think that's what Mr. Finch meant, but with some poorly chosen words.
    Good things he's not writing the book, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The most controversial thing to me seems to be figuring out whether or not that was an actual apology.
    Ho, he was sincere, I think. It's just that the way he did it sort of underline why people has an issue with what he said in the first place.

BANNED

I thinks most cases like this happen aren't in purpose. It's just like of information and interest about the subject. Morrison did research on the subject. It's just a sympton of something bigger, much bigger than comics