Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm still hopeful for this run, and I have faith in Finch.

But, the thing is - to me - if he'd said WW was feminist, or he was, or his wife said it, there'd be a massive wave of fanboys claiming it was because PC this and pressure that and how dare political oh noes! and then there'd be an ugly rape threat against somebody, and the suggestion that feminism doesn't mean equal rights or representation for men in the world.

Finch seems to have hedged his bets, and I think it's fine to suggest he made an error, or even that he was chicken, if you believe that. It's not a slight against his overall character. It's not damning. And he got right out there and clarified, because he's a grown up and can explain himself just fine.

Just looking forward to a Wonder Woman run where I don't roll my eyes as often as I did on Azz's before I jumped ship. Talk about a run with dodgy politics (and a brilliant artist, who probably just should've written their own run).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

This is why we can't have nice things. Seriously.

Just because Finch doesn't call his upcoming take on Diana "feminist," a term that's been misused so much by the political class that its very use in day-to-day conversation causes extreme reactions on both sides (justified or not), he has to apologize? Ridiculous.

Yes, feminism is a huge part of Diana's history (especially early on), but just because she isn't necessarily labeled by a creator working on her book as feminist doesn't mean she isn't one. Actions speak louder than words, after all. I say let the work speak for itself: if their run starts and Diana becomes a squeamish, submissive weakling, THEN we can talk about this again.

For now, it's extreme and needless overreaction, and I think David Finch deserves an apology.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Does Superman have to be an alien?
    How is feminism a species, again?
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

I'd be amazed if he cared enough to have it even cross his mind to feel like he was owed an apology. He's been in the game long enough, he has to know how ridiculously sensitive parts of the fanbase can be. He did his "damage control"--perhaps whilst trying not to gag on the silliness of it all--and by tomorrow he'll probably have forgotten about it.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    Interviews are difficult. There is always a strong push to sound smart and deep, even if you are just grasping at straws. If people didn't do this, then every interview would be like any interview with Azzarello - awkward and short.
    Heh. Azzarello's interviews are hilarious. Most of the time, it's really just grunts.
    And, again, I get it. But the guy is also making a public statement, so it really should come to no surprise that people look at what he says and don't just assume he's misusing words. Because you really have no way of knowing that, especially in written interviews.
    The first rule of a successful public intervention is to know your limitations so that you don't go into a territory you're not prepared to go to, after all.
    Maybe Finch should just have done the same sort of appology this mustached fella did :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqIYqMlYhpY
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd be amazed if he cared enough to have it even cross his mind to feel like he was owed an apology. He's been in the game long enough, he has to know how ridiculously sensitive parts of the fanbase can be. He did his "damage control"--perhaps whilst trying not to gag on the silliness of it all--and by tomorrow he'll probably have forgotten about it.
    The way he uses the term seemed to be the same cartoon version of feminism that it's detractors have. That's not silly. Awkward and clumsy, but not silly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Good things he's not writing the book, eh?
    Actually, as far i know, he's only plotting the book, just like he did with "The Dark Knight".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That or I may find legitimate issues with Finch's wording.
    Whatever helps your philosophy of life, I suppose.
    His exact wording was, "I don't want to say feminist," which was all it took to start this ball rolling. Just the mere declaration that he didn't want to throw his hat into this particular ring and now Mother Jones is writing sensational (and inaccurate) headlines and he's trapped in the exact sandpit he explicitly said he didn't want to get trapped in.

There isn't a sentence in the English language that can't be turned into a "controversy" so long as people looking to be offended say, "And what do you mean by that?" enough times.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Oh I don't think clarification is silly. Something was interpreted by some in a way he didn't mean, so he clarified what he meant. That's all good. Just the idea that he needed to outright apologize is what's silly. Actually silly is an understatement.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-01-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

Just because Finch doesn't call his upcoming take on Diana "feminist," a term that's been misused so much by the political class that its very use in day-to-day conversation causes extreme reactions on both sides (justified or not), he has to apologize? Ridiculous.

Yes, feminism is a huge part of Diana's history (especially early on), but just because she isn't necessarily labeled by a creator working on her book as feminist doesn't mean she isn't one. Actions speak louder than words, after all. I say let the work speak for itself: if their run starts and Diana becomes a squeamish, submissive weakling, THEN we can talk about this again.

For now, it's extreme and needless overreaction, and I think David Finch deserves an apology.
    This. This times a thousand.

I in no way blame Finch for not wanting to use the word "feminist" in relation to the character. As you say, the word has been misused in the mainstream for decades and with the advent of "tumblr feminism" and such, it can often be scary for a man to even think of using the word. Look at how people like Patton Oswalt and Joss Whedon have been treated for self-identifying as feminists depsite being cishet white dudes, especially in the wake of the Elliot Rodger shooting in Santa Barbara.

The response to Finch's statement (which was, yes, poorly-phrased, but the intent is there) has largely been overblown by our culture of offense, and many of the "offended" couldn't even get his name or job title correct. If Diana is shown to be less than human in the run, then that's the time to get pissed off, but we're judging a visual artist on a poorly-worded statement given in an interview about a book he's not even writing. I mean, COME ON.

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.jpg
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

The reason we can't have nice things is people talking about things thay do not know. just that

Dr. Knight

We are truly living in a dark age when everything that anyone says or does is being dissected and is considered offensive. Finch said nothing offensive to cause an uproar. And before any judges me just from this one comment, let it be known I'm not a male chauvinist, prejudice bathing in hate of any kind. What I do have a problem with, is when people lack common sense and being extremely thin skinned.

It's truly a sad situation on what the internet has become. It's just a foul place of hatred, loathing, cynical, and demands a sense self entitlement. No longer do we discuss about ideas, laugh and jest, come up with "What If?" scenarios, or just something as simple as a conversation.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 07-02-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: argumentative

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Eldritch View Post
    Actually, as far i know, he's only plotting the book, just like he did with "The Dark Knight".
    Oh good, that should make people feel a lot better.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    The reason we can't have nice things is people talking about things thay do not know. just that
    And then those same people telling others, who have everyone reason to be alarmed, to let it go. We don't learn anything from doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    He probably didn't know the definition of the word until after he said it.

Ignorant? Sure, but I don't think he wanted to create a scandal.
    It doesn't matter what he wanted. It matters what he did and it matters that he didn't really do anything about it.
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 07-01-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Just struck me as funny, that anyone on a public messageboard designed for talking over comics and comics characters to death thinks pros shouldn't be permitted to talk about comics or comic book characters. Which is what a "no interviews" policy is.

Just funny, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Knight View Post
    We are truly living in a dark age when everything that anyone says or does is being dissected and is considered offensive. Finch said nothing offensive to cause an uproar. And before any judges me just from this one comment, let it be known I'm not a male chauvinist, prejudice bathing in hate of any kind. What I do have a problem with, is when people lack common sense and being extremely thin skinned.

It's truly a sad situation on what the internet has become. It's just a foul place of hatred, loathing, cynical, and demands a sense self entitlement. No longer do we discuss about ideas, laugh and jest, come up with "What If?" scenarios, or just something as simple as a conversation.

A lot you have become vile and venomous. Something that monsters and demons hope to aspire to. Good job society.
    Overreact much?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)