Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Action Comics #964 Discussion (spoilers...duh lol)

By far Jurgens' best issue of Action. Not up to snuff with Superman, Trinity or New Superman, but it was actually pretty darn good. I may need to give it a second read over, but my first thoughts are good. It's a little much at the end, but the idea was sound and it wasn't all that bad.

The ending was a strong idea. It was put on a little thick at times, but overall it was pretty good. Funny enough, the whole first half of the comic was largely devoid of Jurgens' more clunkier bits of dialog. The thought boxes weren't over used or contained too much reused information. The art was on point. Jurgens knows how to lay down a good mystery; I'm honestly interested in where it will go.

My highlights:

-Superman is clearly a super scientist/engineer again. I love his "addition" to the Smith house most of all.

-The mountain Fortress look is really cool. I like the mix of hand built and K tech. That's how you do it!

-The mystery is pretty fun.

You got me for another issue Jurgens. That Lois preview did look interesting.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

This really was better than it has been, about on-par with the better issues of Lois & Clark. Still not especially my cup of tea, but I'm willing to believe the first arc suffered for editorial mandate, same as I suspect with Superman. Also I guess it confirms this Superman is visually dissimilar from the previous one, if only slightly.

Still though, while I get the need to establish him even relative to the New 52 Superman, this is laying it on a little thick:

Like, okay, we get it, you prefer this guy to the last guy and think he's better and more interesting. You've made that very clear.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I think the whole slightly older thing will be in place for the 10 years idea. They're being very shy about using it right now, but I get the feeling that DC is just trying to get the major characters to their most recognizable age. How/if this plays into Lois' new double life will be interesting.

As for the ending? Yeah it's a little thick in some spots, but overall I'm into the idea of ending it with Clark's story/show of support for the new Superman to the world. I ultimately don't think it's offensive--more so a bit too transparent; take that for what you will.

Agree it was the best issue to date. But the article was VERY cringe-worthy. Took the whole enjoyment factor down a notch. We get it Jurgens, you don't like the New 52 Superman. Lay off it already. The "perhaps more so" line reeked of his bias seeping through and was thoroughly unnecessary and flat out inappropriate from a characterization point of view considering earlier in the story Clark identified the New 52 Superman as his friend. You don't take a shot at a supposed friend, a deceased friend at that, and a deceased friend whom is acknowledged in the article as still being mourned, by insinuating that the new guy is better than him.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2016 at 03:25 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Jurgens never misses a chance to use the characters as his mouthpieces, eh?

I hope he'll never write Kara.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-28-2016 at 03:45 AM.

Fantastic Member

After Peter Tomasi self-congratulatory issue, now comes Jurgens.

The amount of patting on the back is ridiculous and reeks of insecurity.

I really don't like the ending. it's a shame, because so far, both Action and Superman were, respectively, good and great. But it really rubs me the wrong way when somehow DC thinks it can just tell to me and everyone who favoured (and still do) New 52 Superman over Pre-Flashpoint Superman, that what we loved was an inferior version of the character, a lie in a sense. I find it insulting.

How ironic, Jurgens wouldn't have a story were it not for the new 52 Superman. Actions' whole plot is revolving around the dead Superman and it's not as if Jurgens is meeting the challenge to write Superman in any new way. If Superdad really were just this world's Superman seriously what would Jurgens bring that would be so awesome I wonder? His Doomsday Superman stuff was boring and the only interesting aspect of the story is related to the new 52 Superman/Clark Kent mystery. It's not like pre new 52 worked hard for this in this new verse either. Jurgens tells and never truly shows. He uses characters as mouthpieces to resolve plot points and just tells the readers instead of shows. Five years became ten. Then the guy just appears and is everyone's best friend, and gets the keys to the kingdom without earning it other than nostalgia for "their" 25 year old plus version in 2016. A good writer wouldn't have to slam another version over and over to make a point. It's lazy, self indulgent and eye rolling stuff.

Another meh issue for me, but that's fine. SUPERMAN, NEW SUPER-MAN, and SUPERWOMAN are what I stay for.

It's just Jurgens' biased writing. He's the guy who wrote in his Convergence: Booster Gold that NuSuperman ignore the calls from his fellow heroes.

Attachment 40331

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-28-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's just Jurgens' biased writing. He's the guy who wrote in his Convergence: Booster Gold that NuSuperman ignore the calls from his fellow heroes.

Attachment 40331

Oh Jurgens. Dude is way past his prime.

And this went nowhere. Sure he thinks he is Clark Kent, but we saw all of Superbro's life. Batman and Wonder Woman called him Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    And this went nowhere. Sure he thinks he is Clark Kent, but we saw all of Superbro's life. Batman and Wonder Woman called him Clark.
    What did you expect? He'll drag the mystery 'till next year at least.

BANNED

I agree with Superlad and Dispenser of Truth that this was the best issue so far, but it's still a long way from me considering to be any good.

On the topic of Clark writing about this Superman. Besides how poorly written it is, it doesn't make sense. To allude that Post-Crisis Superman has gone through more than New 52 Superman is just stating the facts, from DOS to OWAW, to Final Crisis to New Krypton, Post-Crisis saw and experienced more than New 52 Superman did. If Clark can pick up on how experienced Post-Crisis Superman is through conversation, that's fine.

But to imply that Post-Crisis Superman is more heroic and courageous, based on Clark's interactions with him, is rubbish. Clark's experience with Post-Crisis Superman is that he showed up and stopped Doomsday recently, and saved his life before taking him to his fortress to verify whether Clark was telling the truth, and then giving Clark a signal watch to use in case he ever needed help. And he heard that Superman helped a space traveler.

Meanwhile, Clark believes that in addition to the 5 years of New 52 Superman's superhero career, that New 52 Superman went out of his way to help Clark, continued checking up on him during the events of Truth when he was depowered, and only stopped because he died. Clark even called New 52 his friend.

But then he's saying Post-Crisis Superman may be more Supermanish than New 52 Superman? Yeesh.

On to something else in the issue...

spoilers:
    Kenny Braverman was mentioned by Clark, anyone think he might be the bearded guy wearing the cap?
    end of spoilers

Curious about the missing line from the article - where Clark says he's 'not that willing or able to sacrifice' (it's likely to come into play further down the line when he learns the truth and does end up sacrificing himself).