Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

October 1 - The Body Snatcher (1945)
    October 2 - Isle of the Dead (1945)
    October 3 - Dead Men Walk (1943)
    October 4 - Cat People (1942)

A classic of golden age horror that I've never gotten around to watching till now, though I've heard it spoken of a hundred times. What never seems to get mentioned is just how creepy the protagonists of this thing come off. I sort of just wanted the cat to kill them all.

31 Days 31 Monsters
    October 4th Son of Frankenstein (1939)

176395-004-093878AF.jpg

Son of Frankenstein is sort of a Good Bad Ugly type movie where three classically trained actors play a game of cat and mouse with Frankenstein just sort of in the background. Bella Lugosi plays Igor and he's the only one who actually feels like he belongs in a Universal Horror film. Basil Rathbone played the son of Frankenstein and Lionel Atwell played the inspector. I think my big problem with this movie is that every feels like they are in a different movie at different times. It's pretty ridiculous to have this modern family running around this gorgeous castle being taunted by an old school irish detective and a strange european monster with a broken neck!

I was never bored with it, but it just always felt silly to me. For Universal films to work you need decent continuity and Son of Frankenstein just didn't have it.

October 1st - Daimajin: Monster of Terror (1966) ****1/2 stars
    October 2nd - Tarantula (1955) ***1/2 stars
    October 3rd - The Living Skeleton (1968) ***
    October 4th - Son of Frankenstein (1939) **

Next Up, back to the Kaiju's

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    31 Days 31 Monsters
    October 4th Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Son of Frankenstein is sort of a Good Bad Ugly type movie where three classically trained actors play a game of cat and mouse with Frankenstein just sort of in the background. Bella Lugosi plays Igor and he's the only one who actually feels like he belongs in a Universal Horror film. Basil Rathbone played the son of Frankenstein and Lionel Atwell played the inspector. I think my big problem with this movie is that every feels like they are in a different movie at different times. It's pretty ridiculous to have this modern family running around this gorgeous castle being taunted by an old school irish detective and a strange european monster with a broken neck!

I was never bored with it, but it just always felt silly to me. For Universal films to work you need decent continuity and Son of Frankenstein just didn't have it.

October 1st - Daimajin: Monster of Terror (1966) ****1/2 stars
    October 2nd - Tarantula (1955) ***1/2 stars
    October 3rd - The Living Skeleton (1968) ***
    October 4th - Son of Frankenstein (1939) **

Next Up, back to the Kaiju's
    Son of Frankenstein was a very weak follow up to 2 classics.

Creepshow (1982): My favorite horror film ever with Psycho being second! this is what got me into horror in the first place 31 years ago when i was 4 when i saw it on video with my mom and dad and loved it, been a favorite of mine since and i collected Fangoria magazines since and got into horror comics. This is an entertaining and wonderful tribute to the classic EC and DC horror comics of the 50's by George Romero and Stephen King to give us a nostalgic tribute with making the film a living comic with live-action and animation sequences and special effects by Tom Savini which are excellent. Nice cast too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TomServofan; 10-05-2016 at 05:28 AM.

I likely won't manage 31. I never do.

But I did watch Children of the Corn for the first time in a loooooong time the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Watched The Wave back when it first showed up on Netflix. It's ok, but god damn does it have some really stupid moments. Seems weird this guy that was so sure this was all going to happen didn't get his family out right away when leaving was something they were already doing, or at least get them to the high place he already knew would be safe beforehand. Hey guy, maybe just tell your wife to take her last day off and drive up this one mountian you've already told her about in the past because you're pretty sure this whole town will be underwater. I know your happy to see your wife dude, but maybe wait until you aren't underwater to make out with her. It's weird that this not melodrama disaster movie just starts going for melodrama at the zero hour. It also seemed weird that the only thing that brought the dad back was the kiss of life from his son. Like, it feels like it's meant to be symbolic, but it wasn't like the father and son had a bad relationship and the son just wasn't giving up on him even after the mom stopped trying CPR. It feels like a Sleeping Beauty moment, only between father and son, and after the wife couldnt get it to work. Very strange...and maybe the true horror of the movie? No? Whatever. Not bad, not really all that good either, worth a watch on a lazy Sunday if you can't find anything else of interest. Would say Aftershock and Bait were better disaster movies. Bait's wave comes with sharks, and being trapped with them in a store and parking garage.
    Maybe the horror was the kiss between father and son.

Yea it's not that impressive. I guess one could say it's special for a foreign movie cause other countries rarely do them but there was nothing out of the ordinary. They made the same bad decisions as their US counterparts. The guy playing the dad was a good actor I thought, though.

I have never seen Bait, I love sharks so I'll probably check it out. The only good one in recent memory that I have seen was The Reef. Pretty stunning.

Incredible Member

October 1. The Crooked Man (2016)
    October 2. Creature (1985)
    October 3. Twins of Evil. (1971)

October 4. The Vampire Lovers (1970)

The first half+ of this movie has a very tawdry feel, like I was watching an exploitation (Whitesploitation? Britsploitation?) film. Hell, it was hard to find a poster that wasn't NSFW. That said, if you're going to be one of the pioneers of the lesbian vampire subgenre, I imagine one couldn't have done much better than getting Ingrid Pitt as the seductress and Madeline Smith as her favored prey. They're both names I've heard before, as is Kate O'Mara who plays the governess of the estate, but I can't say I actually had any familiarity with them. Quite frankly, both women had my jaw hitting the floor a couple times, I don't know if medical science was advanced enough in 1970 to have given them such endowments.

The movie is a retroactive distant sequel to Twins of Evil. This is really Hammer's adaptation of the classic story, Carmilla. It's been years since I've read it, but to my recollection the main story here was pretty faithful. It's also well shot, most of the night scenes actually look believable as night. The story leaves a couple loose ends, which I seem to recall the book did as well. Peter Cushing is underused, but brings the stalwart gravitas whenever he's one screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Twins of Evil is Great. I discovered it last year and was shocked I knew nothing about it. It's without a doubt one of the best Hammer vampire movies(along with Vampire Circus). Like Circus, it's so decadent and sinful.
    This is the sort of movie I wouldn't mind seeing remade, instead of another slasher from the 80s.

Cushing is supposed to be the hero yet takes quite a pleasure at whiping his nieces. It must have been a ball being Peter Cushing doing all these movies.
    Well, he didn't do any whipping on screen. It's certainly a far cry from his Van Helsing character, who is a true paragon of steadfast virtue. In fact, Cushing wouldn't reprise that role in another Hammer flick (Kiss of the Vampire, maybe?) because the ending involved the hero using black magic against the vamps but he insisted his character would never resort to such measures.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-25-2016 at 12:57 AM.

^^^ they could never remake a Hammer vampire movie nowaday. Nothing in the last 15 years as shown me that the movie industry in the current shape could. Unless Fincher took a ...stab at it?

Interesting tibbit about Cushing.

------------

Almost didn't make it this time....

October 5 - The Boy Who Cried Werewolf(1973)

How could I had not known about this movie? Of all the times I've spent looking for good werewolf movies and nobody has even mentioned it, nobody had the movie in their top werewolf movies, nothing. I got lucky tonight by having somebody mention in on You Tube. This is a GREAT werewolf movie.

This is done very well and done in a realistic manner where a boy's father is a werewolf and nobody believe him. And the director doesn't screw around, the boy is not spared, when the dad changes, he becomes pure evil monster and attacks the boy every chances he's got. The film is enhanced by the kid being the protagonist cause he's the ultimare weak prey and you feel for him.

The movie is often frustrating to watch cause all the people make stupid decisions. But they all make sense. For example the boy act like a boy and as such say to everybody that the killer is a werewolf but nobody believes him. Instead of being subtle about it but he cannot cause he's a kid. The dad doesn't protect his boy against himself cause he really doesn't know what happens to him and anyway doesn't remember any of it. All these things including the cops being involved and a bunch of hippies brings it up to another level of different people being affected by it, making things more difficult.

One of the best things about the movie is the landscape, everything happens near a village that is very "forest-y" with a lot of trees. The boy and his dad have a cabin deep in the woods.

Anyway if anybody want to check it out, it's a pretty good movie.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-05-2016 at 08:52 PM.

BANNED

Maybe the horror was the kiss between father and son.

Yea it's not that impressive. I guess one could say it's special for a foreign movie cause other countries rarely do them but there was nothing out of the ordinary. They made the same bad decisions as their US counterparts. The guy playing the dad was a good actor I thought, though.

I have never seen Bait, I love sharks so I'll probably check it out. The only good one in recent memory that I have seen was The Reef. Pretty stunning.

Reef is awesome. Bait, not as good as Reef; but it's a fun high concept shark movie. I'd probably say it's the second best shark movie since the '90s I've seen, (which really isn't some great prize) with Reef being the best of those by a pretty wide margin. Shark talk reminding me I should watch The Shallows...so I'm gonna watch that right now.

Shark Night turned out to be a surprisingly fun movie. I wasn't expecting it to be half as good as it turned out. It's got some stupid **** when they're filming the party stuff that feels very '90s MTV, but overall it turned out to be a pretty entertaining schlocky film. It's got some nice casting too. Sand Sharks is one I thought would be total ****, but actually turned out pretty entertaining too; the only one of those gimmicky shark movies I've seen that's actually enjoyable to watch.

Reef is awesome. Bait, not as good as Reef; but it's a fun high concept shark movie. I'd probably say it's the second best shark movie since the '90s I've seen, (which really isn't some great prize) with Reef being the best of those by a pretty wide margin. Shark talk reminding me I should watch The Shallows...so I'm gonna watch that right now.

Shark Night turned out to be a surprisingly fun movie. I wasn't expecting it to be half as good as it turned out. It's got some stupid **** when they're filming the party stuff that feels very '90s MTV, but overall it turned out to be a pretty entertaining schlocky film. It's got some nice casting too. Sand Sharks is one I thought would be total ****, but actually turned out pretty entertaining too; the only one of those gimmicky shark movies I've seen that's actually enjoyable to watch.
    Watched The Shallows in theater the week it came out cause I wanted that big screen experience. There are good moments. I felt the shark was too aggressive to me which sort of caused the movie to lose some of the suspense. The key to Jaws was that even though the shark was super-human, there were times when the guys were on the boat where the shark would leave and disappear for a while. Like a real shark would do: attack, then leave, then return. A shark often just hits something hard to "analyzes" who it is in front of him. Then it returns to see if what he hit has being injured so he can take another bite. And often when it realises it's not a sea lion and the opposition is too challenging, they leave. In the Shallows the shark act more like a lion or tiger I felt like it will get the woman at all cost, even if there are other preys in the sea. It should make it scarier but it actually doesn't cause then it makes him more predictable and easier to defeat. Anyway I won't say more. lol

BANNED

October 5th

I think The Shallows just replaced Reef as my favorite shark film since the '90s, could probably just say since Jaws since it's not like the '80s had anything great in that regard. I hear what you're saying about the shark being unrealistically aggressive, it really fucking wants to kill Blake Lively, (and it seemingly just killed a blue whale) and that's something I thought a few times. But The Shallows ain't exactly going for real here. This is a movie where the main character has an animal sidekick, (that was a surprise) it could have been a cartoon the way it plays. One of the things I loved about the movie is it went for these kinds of big crazy things like that and totally nailed it, that bird is probably one of the best animal sidekicks in a movie. **** even superhero Marvel movies with their color costumes was like: Animal sidekick, thats too crazy and unbelievable, just give Falcon a drone.

I do disagree about Jaws though, that shark is just as unrelenting as this one, that shark is tracking them at the end for a longer period of time than this whole movie is meant to take place, and the Jaws shark has three barrels in it to stop it from going under.

I do kind of feel like the movie didn't get enough out of the dead whale. I mean, being trapped on something edible isn't exactly were I'd want to be.

If this movie had been a lot more violence, and the hook in the Sharks mouth had been a little bit bigger this could have been a Hook Jaw movie. After seeing that it had a hook in its mouth, and after seeing just how fucking huge they made the shark, I almost wondered if someone making this movie reads League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and saw a little Hook Jaw.

It's a little slow at the start, it could have been more violent, (you see more of the kills in the PG Jaws) it's probably got the coolest ending between main character and shark of any shark movie, and I just really loved that movie. Also loved the look of Blake Lively in this, there's some really so design work that went into her character. Cut legged jellyfish stung Blake Lively is such a great design that it could be toy, a great Halloween costume, and if that was a comic book character it would be one of the more memorable looking ones.

Oct 4: The Eves
    Oct 5: Prom Night (1980)

The Eves wasn't too bad, better than I expected it to be. Seemed like a blend between Texas Chainsaw and Children of the Corn. More suspense than outright blood. Not too bad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433343/

I've never seen the original Prom Night, but then again, I'm way behind in '80s teen slasher flicks. I enjoyed it. The boxed set came with the sequel so that'll probably be next.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081383/
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

BANNED

Was it a Blue Whale, or a Humpback? Now that I think about it it was probably a Humpback.

October 5th

I think The Shallows just replaced Reef as my favorite shark film since the '90s, could probably just say since Jaws since it's not like the '80s had anything great in that regard. I hear what you're saying about the shark being unrealistically aggressive, it really fucking wants to kill Blake Lively, (and it seemingly just killed a blue whale) and that's something I thought a few times. But The Shallows ain't exactly going for real here. This is a movie where the main character has an animal sidekick, (that was a surprise) it could have been a cartoon the way it plays. One of the things I loved about the movie is it went for these kinds of big crazy things like that and totally nailed it, that bird is probably one of the best animal sidekicks in a movie. **** even superhero Marvel movies with their color costumes was like: Animal sidekick, thats too crazy and unbelievable, just give Falcon a drone.

I do disagree about Jaws though, that shark is just as unrelenting as this one, that shark is tracking them at the end for a longer period of time than this whole movie is meant to take place, and the Jaws shark has three barrels in it to stop it from going under.

I do kind of feel like the movie didn't get enough out of the dead whale. I mean, being trapped on something edible isn't exactly were I'd want to be.

If this movie had been a lot more violence, and the hook in the Sharks mouth had been a little bit bigger this could have been a Hook Jaw movie. After seeing that it had a hook in its mouth, and after seeing just how fucking huge they made the shark, I almost wondered if someone making this movie reads League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and saw a little Hook Jaw.

It's a little slow at the start, it could have been more violent, (you see more of the kills in the PG Jaws) it's probably got the coolest ending between main character and shark of any shark movie, and I just really loved that movie. Also loved the look of Blake Lively in this, there's some really so design work that went into her character. Cut legged jellyfish stung Blake Lively is such a great design that it could be toy, a great Halloween costume, and if that was a comic book character it would be one of the more memorable looking ones.
    I thought the ending was way too convenient and unrealistic how the shark was killed. Again he was too aggressive and killed himself. When he started biting the cage and the floating thing I about threw my hands in the air in disbelief.

Also I HATE that freaking bird!

Lively was hot and the director kept hammering it with constant shots of her forms. Dude was a perv. lol
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-06-2016 at 06:39 AM.

BANNED

I thought the ending was way too convenient and unrealistic how the shark was killed. Again he was too aggressive and killed himself. When he started biting the cage and the floating thing I about threw my hands in the air in disbelief.
    The whole movie is unrealistic. It's a monster movie. It's not like the movie played one way and than switch over to something else at the very end.

But the kill is so fucking cool looking.

Also I HATE that freaking bird!
    You're clearly a monster.

Lively was hot and the director kept hammering it with constant shots of her forms. Dude was a perv. lol
    The director knew how to shoot the landscape and he knew how to shoot Blake Lively. But I'd say there's a reason for it besides it just looking really fucking good. End of movie Blake Lively doesn't look like opening movie having fun Blake Lively.

October 6 - The Possession(2012)

We plunge head-first into post millenium haunted people/house/object movie. I have no interest in this genre, as you see even the posters are all the same but I'm a Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan and he rarely does motion pictures so it was my "in" into the movie.

The movie was...solid. It was well made, the girl get possessed via a box that she opens. Wasn't very scary(maybe younger people would find it scary, who knows). I had a good time watching it though. The cinematography was great and JDM and the girl was good. I'll forget about this movie in a week, I bet.