Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #7 *spoilers!*

Wow, The Lies just kicked into high gear! Diana, Steve, and Cheetah all have really fascinating developments this issue, and Sharp's art is really excellent and intelligently structured.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 09-29-2016 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Oops
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Always Rakzo

Thought this was decent buuuuut it still follows some of the problems I've seen since the beginning of this particular segment, namely the heavyhanded writing which is once again demonstrated by the one-dimensional "All women are weak!" villain that tries way too hard to push the theme they're going for.

Sharp's art is once again, er, sharp but the proportions and storytelling can be off at times.

Lots of spoilers:
    The Good - Great development of Cheetah and Trevor; art so good you can almost feel the different cloths and metals on WW's uniform.
    The Bad - Wonder Woman facial features seems to be frozen in quite some panels - no expression at all; the villain was sold as a god, but very easily vanquished; you got a worthy agenda, creative team, we got it, don't need to hammer it ever other page
    The Question - After all the great building of Cheetah as a solid second character and antagonist, ... is it all over?

BANNED

Just flatout boring.

Next arcs please!

Heh. He still calls her "Angel" .

I have to say, I really kind of sped through this issue waiting for something to happen. Perhaps I will appreciate it differently upon second reading but the story has me a little bored. The whole Urzawhatever plot has me a bit confounded...I really haven't found that the story is compelling. What are the stakes? Other than Steve doing his best Penelope Pitstop imitation...I mean what does it all mean for the Cheetah? Perhaps a hazard in writing an arc around lies is that the whole story begins to feel disjointed and somewhat convoluted and hard to connect to.

Also the art is very pretty but feels really static and lacking in terms of action scenes. Diana flies through Urzawhatever but comes out clean as a whistle? I don't need to see her covered in Urzagoo but maybe some visual to show that some kind of contact had been made? I have been hoping that the story would draw me in but I'm just not feeling that invested.

However, light years better than the Finch fiasco!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So I'm guessing the flashback panel we saw of Urzkartaga and his brides (with one of them being the Cheetah) in the last Lies issue means that they weren't flocking to his power, but instead imprisoning him like the girls and Barbara did in this issue. That begs the question of just what the Cheetah goddess actually is, and hopefully there will be some clarification. I can't really make sense of Urzkartaga's bride being able to imprison him, unless that's just the natural order of things that he corrupted. And he possibly took advantage of Barbara being "unfaithful" to him to corrupt the Cheetah and make it more of a violent slave than it otherwise would be.

Babs is back to being human again, and she feels she's been "lied" to. What she means by that is unclear to me, but I'm intrigued. I wonder if her origin story next issue will shed some light on things.

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    The Question - After all the great building of Cheetah as a solid second character and antagonist, ... is it all over?
    Antagonist maybe not (at least for now), but she's definitely going to be playing an important role as a mortal. She is apparently going to help find Themyscira, and we have her interlude in Year One emphasizing her importance

Isn't this issue number 7?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Astonishing Member

Quite heavy-handed, yeah, but I liked it. I really like the nuance involved though, in that we're getting another example that The Gods are all a bunch of liars feeding off of wrongful interpretations of their powers and patronage.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Funny - all of these are such valid points, but I'm finding myself more and more invested, because of the core relationships between Diana, Steve, and Barbara Ann. I think Rucka and Sharp are doing a really great job making me care about those three figures - I mean, I've cared about Diana for a long time, but not as much about Steve and Cheetah, but Diana's compassion for Barbara and her history is really strong, and when Steve said "Angel," it was like a beautiful light from the past.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I also like that, if what Urzkartaga said was true, then Barbara's initial motivation for becoming the Cheetah was steeped in jealousy over Diana's divine attributes. Just like Priscilla Rich being motivated by envy, Barbara is hardly a pure victim here. Those same character flaws may not have vanished with Urzkartaga, and while it's awesome to see her free herself from him, she could still wind herself up in a similar situation down the road. Cheetah is a character who never learns her lessons after all.

Agreed. A lot of fans seem to be complaining about her redemption here, but I don't see her as being permanently good - just perhaps more complicated now. I really look forward to her origin story in two weeks!

I agree as well. Seeing as the plant is still alive. I think she will have more control of her hunger as the cheetah now. I really like this issue! Glad the jungle is coming to an end. It made me happy to see Diana reunited with Steve and he calls her "Angel"

Mighty Member

(redacted)
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-28-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Mighty Member

(redacted)
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.