Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The fact that Urz was so easily vanquished once the girls knew that they had the power to do so was the whole point, no? Now Cheetah may have to reckon with the fact that the agency she thought Urz had stolen from her was hers the whole time. She was only deceived and unable to see it. I think it's an interesting way to give her a tragic flaw, if Rucka goes that route.

My only nitpick was the absence of the B-plot at Langley. I could do without a few of the page-length panels if it meant a denser story. And I agree with the person who said that the art was static. Sharp's style worked well for me in earlier issues where it was building atmosphere and suspense, but the fight with Urz and the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" lasso circle were both anticlimactic in terms of visuals.
    Last edited by Bosch; 09-28-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I have to wonder just why the hell Urzkartaga wanted the girls there in the first place if he was afraid of them, unless he was trying to subvert their power the way he did the Cheetah. Cadullo made it sound like they were there to serve Urz, but that may have all been psychological BS to keep them in line and make them believe they were powerless. I guess the point of Urz and Cadullo is that they were ultimately pathetic, hence why Urz was shrunken down to a tiny, skinny little flower/phallus as opposed to the imposing figure he was before.

I was a bit bummed not to see Dr. Cyber (or whoever is on the cover of #9) show up on a page.

Huh. One thing I'm not sure on is whether Barbara is misremembering the past, in which case this is a segue to a substantively different Cheetah origin, or if we're meant to believe that Urz tricked Barbara into believing she was his subordinate from the beginning. My first read-through I assumed it was the latter, but it may just be a narrative device to retcon out the particulars of Azz's worldbuilding that Rucka doesn't plan on carrying forward and the abusive relationship aspect of the Cheetah character in one go.
    Last edited by Bosch; 09-28-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Rucka's pacing is pretty bad especially when you juxtapose THE LIES with YEAR ONE.

All of a sudden so many things happened in today's issue that could've been spread out since the relaunch of the title.

I would have preferred for the big story beats to have been more evenly spread out and built up than to have so many of them hitting you at once.

Was it just me or does this issue strongly hint that Diana and Barbara have a sexual past? Noting that Barbara wasn't "Pure" when she was married to Urz, and thus cursed, threw up a huge red flag to me. Not that its at all odd to entertain that she wouldn't be a virgin regardless, but just the fact that she and Diana have such a strong connection, and the fact that Barbara in part blames Diana for what happened to her, seems to me that's where this is leading. Or perhaps just implied yet never delved into (but I think that would be a shame to not explore it further).

In any case while I'm still not a big fan of the pacing, a lot more happened in this one issue than any of the others and I enjoyed it better than any previous issue of The Lies.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Was it just me or does this issue strongly hint that Diana and Barbara have a sexual past? Noting that Barbara wasn't "Pure" when she was married to Urz, and thus cursed, threw up a huge red flag to me.
    Urz cursing Barbara because she wasn't a virgin was always part of her origin story, so I'm not sure. I'd say the likelihood of them having a past is low just given the timeline. It's safe to bet she becomes Cheetah at some point in Year One, and I can't see Rucka's Diana betraying or leaving Steve to pursue someone else that quickly.

I could see something developing between them, though. It definitely seems to be alluding to an attraction on Barbara's part.
    Last edited by Bosch; 09-28-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Really hope there's more to Cheetah becoming human again, otherwise this ended up being a really bland story and a waste of her character.

Unless it results in her donning a cheetah costume. Then I'd be all for it.

BANNED

Please don't tell me Rucka tried to build up cheetah just to depower her.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Really hope there's more to Cheetah becoming human again, otherwise this ended up being a really bland story and a waste of her character.

Unless it results in her donning a cheetah costume. Then I'd be all for it.
    Or maybe Barbara is still able to become Cheetah, or willingly does so again, only to have the more traditional humanoid form because she's no longer under the curse?

Which admittedly would be a waste of her Rebirth redesign .

The classic Priscilla Rich Cheetah would slip in and out of her Cheetah persona as a double personality disorder. The Cheetah would disappear completely and then re-emerge. Perhaps Rucka may be setting up a return to the original "Two-Face" type of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    Urz cursing Barbara because she wasn't a virgin was always part of her origin story, so I'm not sure. I'd say the likelihood of them having a past is low just given the timeline. It's safe to bet she becomes Cheetah at some point in Year One, and I can't see Rucka's Diana betraying or leaving Steve to pursue someone else that quickly.

I could see something developing between them, though. It definitely seems to be alluding to an attraction on Barbara's part.
    Thanks for the heads up on the history of Cheetah's origin. She's gone through so many iterations I haven't done my homework on all of them. To me there just seems there could be some resonance there in regards to Barbara blaming Diana for what happened to her. I could be reading too much into it, but at the same time Rucka has just confirmed in an interview that his Diana has had relationships with women even if it won't be explored. All I know is that I get far more sexual tension vibes from these two than I even do Diana and Steve.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The classic Priscilla Rich Cheetah would slip in and out of her Cheetah persona as a double personality disorder. The Cheetah would disappear completely and then re-emerge. Perhaps Rucka may be setting up a return to the original "Two-Face" type of character.
    That's what I thought too. Barbara Ann may no longer be cursed but the lust for power that drove her to become the Cheetah is still there. I could easily see her donning a suit to become like the Priscilla Rich version of the character, all while resenting Diana for freeing her from her superpowers.

Extraordinary Member

Okay I am confused - since there is already a thread for #6, is this supposed to be about #7?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's what I thought too. Barbara Ann may no longer be cursed but the lust for power that drove her to become the Cheetah is still there. I could easily see her donning a suit to become like the Priscilla Rich version of the character, all while resenting Diana for freeing her from her superpowers.
    I had a similar idea earlier on but I never thought that a return to that version would be feasible but Im hoping that if this many of us think its a possibility that it comes true because that would be amazing.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-29-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

There were some really great character moments for Cheetah in this issue. No other writer has fleshed her out this much since Geoff Johns did in Justice League several years back. It was alluded to that Barbara wasn't the first Cheetah. I wonder if this means that Priscilla Rich and Debbie Domaine are back in canon?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.