Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Can we get the title corrected to Issue 7?
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Fantastic Member

Characters standing around explaining things and a lame fight. There's no real struggle here, nothing to overcome, and the only revelation-- that Urz is afraid of the girls (?) -- is told to us, not explicitly shown.

This is such a let down after Rucka's amazing first Wonder Woman run. I appreciate he's telling a different kind of story, a more super-hero-y tale, but it doesn't seem his strongpoint.

The art is beautiful, but as others have mentioned, it's rather static, and does little to enhance the story.

I like everything about this issue.
    The whole series has been terrific.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Can we get the title corrected to Issue 7?
    I tried, but I think it's not working. My apologies for the goof.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Really hope there's more to Cheetah becoming human again, otherwise this ended up being a really bland story and a waste of her character.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Please don't tell me Rucka tried to build up cheetah just to depower her.
    Barbara being human again is actually a very interesting direction to take now, because her intellect is what Diana needed to find Themyscira in the first place. I think whatever "Amazon secrets" she finds in the Year One interlude are going to be connected to that. Rucka said that they squeezed the Barbara origin in because it was a story they decided needed to be told, and it's interesting that it happens just after she is "freed" in the present.

Don't expect it to last though. Like others have said, I'm thinking this is Rucka's take on the old Priscilla Rich stories, in which she would be reformed only to fall off the wagon again. This seems even more tragic, whereas Priscilla was just crazier than an outhouse rat (still lover her though).

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Was it just me or does this issue strongly hint that Diana and Barbara have a sexual past? Noting that Barbara wasn't "Pure" when she was married to Urz, and thus cursed, threw up a huge red flag to me. Not that its at all odd to entertain that she wouldn't be a virgin regardless, but just the fact that she and Diana have such a strong connection, and the fact that Barbara in part blames Diana for what happened to her, seems to me that's where this is leading. Or perhaps just implied yet never delved into (but I think that would be a shame to not explore it further).
    I think she blames Diana because it was her envy of Diana, along with her own glory seeking/power hungry attributes, that lead her to Urzkartaga in the first place. She's deflecting the blame. But I like your interpretation, and hope it's canon. Writing it so that Diana had a past romantic relationship with one of her top tier foes (who is the same gender) is the one way he can 1-up Azzarello in terms of controversy.

As I'd mentioned elsewhere, doesn't exactly look like they are setting up Barbara/Cheetah as an arch nemesis.

Definitely seems more like a tragic friend and possible lover dynamic. But that's okay, she never had to be the arch-nemesis in my book. I like the confluct and drama played here about their relationship. I've always liked the idea better of Circe being her arch-nemesis anyway. Not saying she will be this go-round either, maybe they have an entirely different villain in mind like Dr. Cyber. But in any case I don't mind if Cheetah's role is different than expected.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

At this point, I'm just happy somebody is actually treating her as a character worth investing in. If Ares, Circe or Dr. Cyber take the arch nemesis spot, it won't bother me too much, because it seems Barbara/Cheetah is filling the deutragonist role for this run, a "Harvey Dent" type figure. Funnily enough, Rucka wrote a much better Two-Face than he did the Joker, and definitely seemed to favor the former.

Of course, I don't think their current dynamic precludes an "arch enemies" status either. I'm getting some serious Hal/Sinestro vibes off this (and if Tumblr is any indication, those two get slashed together quite a bit), and Diana herself states that Barbara's feelings of love for her can be intertwined with hate.

Extraordinary Member

Loved the reunion with Steve. The panel where they said they had missed each other felt like it had been 30 years coming

And then there's plant god - Urgonnabedissappointed.

Honestly, I think the Tom Baker adventure Doctor Who and the Seeds of Dooom did a much better job of presenting a plant monster as truly terrifying. I mean - they're in the jungle, Plants literally EVERYWHERE, but old Urnotthinkingthisthrough goes with a scary face hittable giant.

Come on Greg - plants have heaps of ways to be dangerous. Leaving off the ability of plant roots to crack and shatter solid stone, there are

Spores than can infect the airways
    Plants whose leaves emit toxins
    Hallucenogenic plants

There are so many more clever ways to make a plant god a genuine, insidious threat. You are fighting a creature that is literally all around you and has dozens of evolutionary fallbacks for attack and defense.

But - big plant chaos demon.

Sigh.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-30-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Yay for the title correction!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Yay for the title correction!
    Hooray! (red face)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Just got around to reading the issue.

Has any thread, since Rucka's return to the book, been filled with as many questions about what actually happened as this one? To me this isn't a good sign. I don't quite understand what was meant by the girls actually being "wardens".

[Scratches head and will read again at some point...]
    Last edited by Largo161; 10-02-2016 at 02:18 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Just got around to reading the issue.

Has any thread, since Rucka's return to the book, been filled with as many questions about what actually happened as this one? To me this isn't a good sign. I don't quite understand what was meant by the girls actually being "wardens".

[Scratches head and will again at some point...]
    I thought it was that Uzzblargblarg needed the girls to exist, but had brainwashed/kept them ignorant of their power over himself.

Mighty Member

I really liked this issue. It was a bit rushed storywise but I also dont think this was meant to be anything more than an introduction and because of that I can see that Rucka is doing some good work. He's actually rectified many of my issues with his first run in just this one story arc alone so itll be exciting to see where he goes from here.

I liked this issue a lot. The artwork is so good in this issue and I like this story line more than the other one at the moment. Both are really good but this issue made this one better.