Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman in TRINITY #1 Spoilers

Surprised this hasn't come up already...

I enjoyed her characterization, for the most part. The boar thing was ridiculous. Repeat: the boar thing was ridiculous. And I'm glad that, apparently, Diana and Lois will be friends..."sisters" even.

Favorite part? "I want you to Stop looking at me like that, Lois."
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

I kinda agree that the boar thing was ridiculous because first, that animal was not even skinned before it was brought to Lois. It was just on Diana's back, as if she was bringing over Macaroni and Cheese.

I get why the writer had her bring a wild boar; to emphasize her ancient roots and the fact that she is from an ancient society, as opposed to a modern one, but I am sort of half and half on this one to be honest.

I personally don't mind that she brought the boar, but the writer probably should have had a short sequence of pictures showing Diana hunting the boar, skinning it, and preparing it for dinner, BEFORE she went to Lois and Clark.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 09-28-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    I kinda agree that the boar thing was ridiculous because first, that animal was not even skinned before it was brought to Lois. It was just on Diana's back, as if she was bringing over Macaroni and Cheese.

I get why the writer had her bring a wild boar; to emphasize her ancient roots and the fact that she is from an ancient society, as opposed to a modern one, but I am sort of half and half on this one to be honest.

I personally don't mind that she brought the boar, but the writer probably should have had a short sequence of pictures showing Diana hunting the boar, skinning it, and preparing it for dinner, BEFORE she went to Lois and Clark.
    I dunno.

If she were taking it to a JL meeting or a friend's apartment? I'd be with you on that.

But she was taking it to a farm, where they (supposedly) slaughter animals for food. Kinda made weird sense to me

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I like the fact that it's calling back to Rucka's run, but I feel like Wondy's been so disjointed from the rest of the DCU (until the Finches, and while I don't hate their run quite as much as most fans I talk to, I don't think it was very great) that it's hard to see how she "should" interact with the rest of the universe, or newcomers to it (sort of) like Lois and Clark. She feels a lot more insecure than I like my Diana - I still love the Rucka Ambassador, with power, position, authority, security, and warmth. This one has the power and warmth, but seems to lack the security and position (I felt the same when Diana showed up in Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I dunno.

If she were taking it to a JL meeting or a friend's apartment? I'd be with you on that.

But she was taking it to a farm, where they (supposedly) slaughter animals for food. Kinda made weird sense to me
    But we also know this isn't her first dinner party. She's not new. She would know not to bring a completely unprepared wild boar to dinner, right? I mean unless it was her guest.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Anything that has to do with Pre-FLASHPOINT Lois and Superman feels so forced.

It'd be one thing if Diana were the Pre FLASHPOINT Wonder Woman, but she's not. All that "sister" stuff rang false for me especially because last I checked, Diana thought the same of The New 52 Lois who wasn't married and had a kid to a guy who looks an older version of Diana's lover. What happened with that relationship between The New 52 Lois and Diana?

BANNED

Most guests bring a bottle of wine, Wonder Woman brought a wild boar, for 5 people. To be fair it wouldn't take Superman more than 3 seconds to skin and break down that boar, however a rabbit would've sufficed. Well at least they have enough meat to last them a year. I just don't know if I like WW killing animals, I mean she used to chat with them

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    But we also know this isn't her first dinner party. She's not new. She would know not to bring a completely unprepared wild boar to dinner, right? I mean unless it was her guest.
    LOL at the idea of the boar as guest. And sure, she'd know it's not done in this culture--though maybe she just thought it would be nice to bring a bit of her culture with her. After all, it's not even that impractical; she or Kal could probably prep a boar for cooking in about a nanosecond.

By the way, it reminds me of when I was a kid in Queens, NY, and my aunt and uncle from Ireland visited and brought a pig's head to munch on. It was cooked, of course, and I guess it was a delicacy where they were from, and many other places; but still, my brother and I weren't used to something staring at us when we opened the refrigerator.

Anyway, I just thought the boar thing was just a funny/cute reminder of Diana's different cultural perspective. It wasn't the most realistic thing to portray her as doing, but it wasn't a huge plot point and I as a reader didn't feel I had to take it too seriously, so I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 09-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.

What else would Diana bring to a cook-out? It's nice when writers remember that the outlandishness of these characters is also supposed to be fun, with Clark and Diana especially.

I hope Manapul doesn't plan on trying to push the "Diana as glue" line they've got in the ads for this book. There are interesting ways to explore her relationships with both this Clark and Bruce without having to resort to her being the facilitator between the two of them.
    Last edited by Bosch; 09-28-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Good thing the guests were not some types of Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, vegan, animal lovers, or people who just don't slit animals' throats. If Diana was just off the island, I'd buy it. But she is supposed to be out here for some time. She came across culturally clueless. This is not the Superman she knows so how could she assume they are okay with it? A nice wine would have been fine. It's kinda trying to hit us over the head she is from another culture which is not necessary at this stage in her storyline tbh. Plus aren't they playing up the animal empathy in this rewrite with Rucka? So what did she say? Excuse me, Mr Boar, I am going to stab you to death now?

Then there is the odd Lois/Diana convo. New 52 Lois and Diana were fine with each other. There was no rivalry between them. So this "sisters" thing as if it is some novel idea is not new. I do know in th eold verse there were stories Lois had insecure feelings for the Diana of her world. And Diana feels a little wishy washy regarding her loss. And this I am so lost thing just irritates me no end because it is such a plot device to retcon whatever they want to.

She asked Lois about dietary restrictions when she was invited, and the boar was terminal, so she mercy killed it and ate it out of respect for the cycle of nature. Problems solved.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I dunno.

Farms don't slaughter animals nowadays as they are usually sent to facilities that deal with them, also it is often depicted that the kent/smith farm grows crops rather then raising livestock. Also I'm aware that this comment is made in a light hearted tone, just figured I would point that out.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It's a bit of an ancient tradition for Diana to bring the boar. She may have intended the gesture as mostly a ceremonial nod to tradition.

Ancient peoples considered meat a particularly rare commodity. Only the rich ate meat on a regular basis. It was quite a generous gesture for you to show up at another person's house and freely offer them a huge quantity of meat. I would imagine bringing an animal that you personally hunted and killed would be an even greater gesture.

Diana may have simply intended it to be a symbolic gesture of how seriously she took the meeting.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    Farms don't slaughter animals nowadays as they are usually sent to facilities that deal with them, also it is often depicted that the kent/smith farm grows crops rather then raising livestock. Also I'm aware that this comment is made in a light hearted tone, just figured I would point that out.
    Plus the kid was traumatized smoking his own cat the other day. Would he be okay with dad skinning an animal who was prob still warm? I think it's not that Diana couldn't bring a boar...I just think in the story for a person who had adapted to her world she would not. I don't think Diana is that clueless. I think Manapul just wanted to use imagery to contrast her to the others...the woman from another culture and ancient time, the farmer and the dark detective...rather than logically considering her social awareness and resulting etiquette.
    Last edited by hellacre; 09-29-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    What else would Diana bring to a cook-out? It's nice when writers remember that the outlandishness of these characters is also supposed to be fun, with Clark and Diana especially.
    No kidding, right? It's really nice seeing all the quirks and foibles of characters who really aren't like us at all if you stop and think about it. In a weird way, it kinda makes 'em more down to earth.