Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    No kidding, right? It's really nice seeing all the quirks and foibles of characters who really aren't like us at all if you stop and think about it. In a weird way, it kinda makes 'em more down to earth.
    I agree. We talk so much about not wanting to have Diana perceived as perfect. Well? This is what imperfect looks like. It's a silly little cultural quirk. Nothing that makes her look like an idiot.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I agree. We talk so much about not wanting to have Diana perceived as perfect. Well? This is what imperfect looks like. It's a silly little cultural quirk. Nothing that makes her look like an idiot.
    Exactly.

10 characters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by username_ View Post
    Most guests bring a bottle of wine, Wonder Woman brought a wild boar, for 5 people. To be fair it wouldn't take Superman more than 3 seconds to skin and break down that boar, however a rabbit would've sufficed. Well at least they have enough meat to last them a year. I just don't know if I like WW killing animals, I mean she used to chat with them
    Wonder Woman could have skinned that animal in less than a second if she'd wanted, which was why I didn't understand why the animal wasn't skinned before she took it to Lois. But I suppose it was for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    Wonder Woman could have skinned that animal in less than a second if she'd wanted, which was why I didn't understand why the animal wasn't skinned before she took it to Lois. But I suppose it was for dramatic effect.
    It's disturbing enough to plop a dead animal in front of people. A bloody, skinless carcass? Even more so.

Plus, in ancient cultures, presenting the animal is like giving a gift. You want it to look good when it's given. Taking it away, skinning it, and butchering it is part of the ritual of accepting the gift.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It's disturbing enough to plop a dead animal in front of people. A bloody, skinless carcass? Even more so.

Plus, in ancient cultures, presenting the animal is like giving a gift. You want it to look good when it's given. Taking it away, skinning it, and butchering it is part of the ritual of accepting the gift.
    There are also plenty of rural (and not so rural) American folks who still hunt and kill all sorts of animals. It's not a big stretch to imagine a family living on a somewhat secluded farm would hunt deer and have a place out back to butcher animals, the family often participates in the process too. I know plenty of my family all throughout the Midwest and the Southern States would be mighty impressed with someone bringing a whole animal as a gift. I have an Aunt and Uncle who make jerky from Deer and use the hooves and horns to make and sell decorative items, and probably a hundred other things. Honestly, if anything this was a grandiose gesture, but not a totally off base one.

My concern is that this book is going to focus a lot on the kid too much. I was really hoping for an adventure comic centered on the Trinity, but I'm already getting the sense that a whole lot of this book is going to be about John learning is powers and turning out to be so powerful blah blah blah ... Franklin Richards comes to mind when I go down this path. Hopefully we'll get some stories that are about BM and some that are about WW and their supporting casts and not just have them feel like guest stars in a SM comic.

Fantastic Member

Over analyzing such trivial matters as Dinner offerings is so very tedious and Boar - ing

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Good thing the guests were not some types of Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, vegan, animal lovers, or people who just don't slit animals' throats. If Diana was just off the island, I'd buy it. But she is supposed to be out here for some time. She came across culturally clueless. This is not the Superman she knows so how could she assume they are okay with it? A nice wine would have been fine. It's kinda trying to hit us over the head she is from another culture which is not necessary at this stage in her storyline tbh. Plus aren't they playing up the animal empathy in this rewrite with Rucka? So what did she say? Excuse me, Mr Boar, I am going to stab you to death now?

Then there is the odd Lois/Diana convo. New 52 Lois and Diana were fine with each other. There was no rivalry between them. So this "sisters" thing as if it is some novel idea is not new. I do know in th eold verse there were stories Lois had insecure feelings for the Diana of her world. And Diana feels a little wishy washy regarding her loss. And this I am so lost thing just irritates me no end because it is such a plot device to retcon whatever they want to.
    Diana did say she should have asked if they were vegetarian first. It's surprising that a boar is generating so much discussion. ;-)

As for the Lois/Diana thing, New 52 Lois and Diana were fine with each other, but that Lois never dated Clark/Superman. Also, remember that the Lois we have in this story is the Lois from the old universe who had insecurities about her Diana. This Diana not only dated her Superman but she lost him. I can see how that might bring back some old insecurities that Lois had. Remember that the story is told from Lois' point of view. She saw Diana as a rival, so Diana had to put her mind at ease. I think visually they showed that Diana hasn't gotten over her Clark, and maybe in future issues they might go into it in detail.
    Not Peter David.

Spectacular Member

double post
    Not Peter David.

Spectacular Member

I just don't know if I like WW killing animals, I mean she used to chat with them
    Yeah, I don't like it either. Sometimes I think some of the people who work on things with her aren't aware of her abilities. At least Greg Rucka knows, so in saying that Trinity gets the thumbs down from me.

Her ability with animals is one of the big components that attracted me to her.
    Last edited by Farron; 10-01-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Ok, sorry I brought it up. I'm getting Boar-ed with it now. ;P
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    Yeah, I don't like it either. Sometimes I think some of the people who work on things with her aren't aware of her abilities. At least Greg Rucka knows, so in saying that Trinity gets the thumbs down from me.

The author placed the boar on Diana's back to emphasize the fact that she is a warrior from an ancient tribe of women called the Amazons. It was all done for a dramatic effect; that is all. I really don't think people need to overly stress about it, or even a little bit. As for Diana hunting and consuming animals, with all due respect, she is not snow white. She is the "warrior" part of the Trinity. To think Amazons or even Diana are vegetarians would be, well, I can't tell people what to think, but I could never digest (no pun intended) that Wonder Woman is a vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Ok, sorry I brought it up. I'm getting Boar-ed with it now. ;P
    No I actually think it is interesting. Why shouldn't Diana hunt animals to eat, especially with her cultural background?

The only thing I didn't like about Trinity was the statement that both Clark and his son were the most dangerous people on earth. (sucks teeth), oh please. I could think of several people who would fit that description in the DCU, including Wonder Woman.

If this author is going to be one of those writers who power worships Superman and Superman only then it is obvious that this book is not going to be my cup of tea. Write each character fairly according to their full abilities; don't favour any character over any.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 10-05-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    Why shouldn't Diana hunt animals to eat, especially with her cultural background?
    Because of her affinity with animals and being able to communicate with them?

Ferdinand was even her chef who prepared her meals without meat.
    Last edited by Farron; 10-05-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Because of her affinity with animals and being able to communicate with them?

Ferdinand was even her chef who prepared her meals without meat.
    Aquaman can communicate with fish. He still eats them.

Communicating with animals doesn't mean you're incapable of recognizing that everything eats everything else. I can see her preferring meat that was humanely slaughtered, but that doesn't mean she has to never eat meat again.

The no meat thing was one writer's interpretation of Diana's powers. Perez had Diana explicitly state that she DID eat meat, and she even remarked on how delicious the lamb smelled. He was the one who GAVE her the animal empathy.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

She couldn't bring herself to kill the Minotaur, I like to think Wonder Woman wouldn't sink her teeth into a cute little lamb, stolen from its mother, especially if she can communicate with them. She might as well eat humans I mean where does she draw the line…Besides, lab-grown meat is more convenient, that's where we're headed, the Amazons would've been doing it for decades

She couldn't bring herself to kill the Minotaur,
    The Minotaur was a thinking, intelligent creature, easily on par with humans. He was helpless and no longer a threat to her. Killing him would've been right up there with murdering a human being.

Also? New 52 Diana never demonstrated animal empathy.

I like to think Wonder Woman wouldn't sink her teeth into a cute little lamb, stolen from its mother, especially if she can communicate with them. She might as well eat humans I mean where does she draw the line
    1.) The lamb was already cooking when she arrived. She would've had no idea of what it's fate was.

2.) It's never been clear to what extent she can "communicate" with animals. Animals do not have the intelligence for a meaningful human conversation. Aquaman clarified this about his powers as well. He doesn't "talk to fish." Fish aren't intelligent enough to speak with (dolphins, being an obvious exception.) Most animals would be much the same. Prey animals, especially, tend to be lacking in intelligence.

3.) An animal life is not nearly on the same level as a human life.

4.) Ancient Greek beliefs held cannibalism as possibly the single greatest sin of all. Certainly one of them, anyway. Big difference between that and eating meat when you're hungry.

…Besides, lab-grown meat is more convenient, that's where we're headed, the Amazons would've been doing it for decades
    Yay! More yummy chemicals in our diet!

And the Amazons haven't had the technology to brew up meat in petri dishes since the end of the Silver Age.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--