View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deadly Class #22

1 5.00%
  • Descender #15

2 10.00%
  • Dream Police #12 (of 12)

0 0%
  • Eden's Fall #2

0 0%
  • The Hunt #3

0 0%
  • Island Magazine #11

1 5.00%
  • Lake of Fire #2

1 5.00%
  • ODY-C #11

0 0%
  • Outcast #21

3 15.00%
  • Postal #15

1 5.00%
  • Saga #38

7 35.00%
  • Snotgirl #3

1 5.00%
  • Surgeon X #1

1 5.00%
  • Thief of Thieves #35

1 5.00%
  • Wayward #16

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 39 - Surgeon X starts the procedure!

Welcome to the weekly Image poll, where we chat about newly released comics and vote for the ones we liked best.

Last time's most liked comic was Seven To Eternity! For those keeping score, that's an impressive 7 wins for Remender-written titles this year. 18.4% of all polls so far have been won by the dude!

And this week he gets another shot, as Deadly Class begins a new storyline! Other happenings: Dream Police finally wraps up after many delays, the new Top Cow event book Eden's Fall continues on, Lake of Fire already gets a reprint of issue one which might indicate strong sales for the crusaders vs. aliens story. ODY-C is also back with a new storyline, as is Wayward.

New this week is the much-anticipated Surgeon X. Written by documentary filmmaker Sara Kenney and drawn by Sandman-artist John Watkiss this promises to be a darkly humourous medical thriller, set in a politically far-right version of Britain during an antibiotic apocalypse. (Jeez Brexit really wasn't a great idea, huh? )
    Also noteworthy is that this one's edited by Karen Berger who spent many years on excellent titles at Vertigo.

259009.jpg

Deadly Class #22 and Descender #15 for me. Looking forward to both big time.

Amazing Member

Going to pick up a few this week, Descender, Lake of Fire, Outcast and Postal. I think Descender will get my vote eventually, but I did think lake of fire was pretty good so hopefully it stays strong.

Deadly Class
    The Hunt
    Lake of Fire
    Saga
    Surgeon X
    Wayward

Just Saga for me. I wasn't really surprised by the ending, but I'm intensely curious as to the repercussions.

I didn't care for Surgeon X - found it heavy handed, neither the characters or the story grabbed me.

Postal was good, and I'm happy to see Wayward make its return, especially now that it's in Ireland. Looking forward to digging into the folklore there.

Guess I'll go Wayward with my vote.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I only read Saga so far (I didn't read Wayward or Deadly Class cause I was busy this week). I guess it would get default vote because I don't expect much usually from Wayward or Deadly Class, though I honestly don't feel much for Saga either. The ending didn't really make an impact on me since honestly, I never really felt anything for the character (he/she/it never really left an impression on me) and since the comic is sort of a meat grinder, I'm pretty jaded to anyone getting killed in that series now.

Oh man, this thread is callous. I just read Saga and am still wiping tears from my eyes, only to see you guys mocking such a tragic occurrence. LOL that was my favorite character. BKV is a dick.

So yeah, voting Saga even though my fav character died.

I'll go with Descender. Deadly Class was great but the art in Descender kicks major ass. Really loving this arc of backstories for all of the characters, even Bandit. I know it's off-putting to some readers, but I'm enjoying it.

Liked Saga as well, this arc might turn out harrowing though. Voted for Island Magazine though, since this included another issue of Firebug (Jonnie Christmas' new series) which I'm absolutely loving. There's a kind of Mesoamerican vibe to the whole thing which I'm really digging. Probably my favourite series so far this year?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thief of Thieves for me!
    Never have been much of an Andy Diggle fan, but he is sure carrying this story forward. Characters act within their established natures, dialogue crisp and natural, plot big and engaging; and it sure looks nice. Still building toward the next big event, but doing so with assurance and pace.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Postal was my favorite. The Hunt was a strong episode. Fall of Eden is good but really feels like Postal flip side rather than its own story. I am not sure yet what Snotgirl is about. Saga is starting to seriously drift for me. I wasn't even interested when the book showed up in my pulls.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ok! I read Deadly Class and... that was incredibly irritating to read. Everyone is a dick or douchebag in this comic, but not the kind you like, want to follow, have any sort of charisma, or find them that complex. None of these new characters are interesting as well. They blur together with the rest of the jerks we got left.

I desperately hope Remender can do something with this series, but this is one of the worst issues of the series we had. Just... why should I care about anything that's happening with these people when I want everyone to die? It's like Reddit shot directly into the eye.

Now over to Wayward #16! .....we finally got to the human element part of the series, except for whenever Ayane interrupts things. She's so annoying. Otherwise, the issue is pretty dang slow until the very end when something happens. Regardless, this feels like a sidetrack despite the fact that this comic finally dealing with some character drama. Also, the artwork felt like a step backwards with decompression and being terrible at a lot of points when depicting emotion in character's faces. It just looks off in a lot of areas.

So all in all... I guess Saga was the best comic of the week, but only because the other comics that came back weren't very good.

My week has been like this:
    I really love Postal, it's a great book - Eden's Fall.....not so sure but it's only 3 issues.

Eden's Fall #2
    The Hunt #3
    Outcast #21
    Postal #15
    Surgeon X #1

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ok! I read Deadly Class and... that was incredibly irritating to read. Everyone is a dick or douchebag in this comic, but not the kind you like, want to follow, have any sort of charisma, or find them that complex. None of these new characters are interesting as well. They blur together with the rest of the jerks we got left.
    This is valid...

I think because the amount of backstabbing and angst and jerkiness from the first year, it's not really surprising anymore. Everyone is out for themselves and readers know that. I still enjoyed the issue and I'm curious to see how Remender does after the first year's finale. But I won't argue with you here at all because it's a very good point.

P.s. by first year I mean Marcus' freshman year. Not the first year of the book, obviously.