Astonishing Member

Default Should the DCCU be influenced more by the Classic DCU or the New 52?

I'm using 'Classic DCU' as a blanket term for DC's entire history before Flashpoint because lets face it, the elimination of the Multiverse and a few reboots aside, the DCU was pretty much the same animal up until the start of the New 52.

The truth is that I'm already seeing a fair bit of New 52 influence in the movies. Superman's suit for instance is an awful lot like the New 52 suit (though I dunno if it was influenced by that suit specifically, or if WB and DC simultaneously developed modernized Superman suits for both versions without the red shorts). And one can argue that the more aggressive Superman at odds with the authorities and the military is a lot closer to the New 52 version than the 'Boy Scout' of previous eras (then again, the New 52 version does channel the original Siegal/Shuster stories in that regard).

Batman's suit is said to be based on Miller's design from DKR...but to me, the bat-symbol and shorter ears aside, it can easily pass for the New 52 Batman suit as well (which again, itself is sorta a cross between the Year One suit and the Nolanverse Batsuit IMO).

The tentative inclusion of Cyborg in the Justice League, rather than Martian Manhunter, also reflects the New 52, as do the rumors of Jason Momoa playing Aquaman as an 'anti-hero'.

On the other hand, Superman is portrayed as being in his early-to-mid thirties and Batman is even older. They are certainly significantly older than their New 52 counterparts and a lot closer to the ages they've been traditionally portrayed as. So there's not as much emphasis on the DCCU being a 'young' universe, which reflects the Classic DCU. Martha Kent being alive and a constant source of guidance and emotional support for Clark, as well as Lois being aware of Clark's identity and being his confidante, also channel the Post-Crisis Superman mythos far more than the New 52. The idea of Clark traveling the world before becoming Superman is also from various Post-Crisis Superman stories rather than the New 52 (which basically has him moving to Metropolis fresh out of college and becoming Superman).

Personally, I think a 'best of both worlds' scenario, leaning more towards the Classic DCU, is the best bet. In terms of costumes, and other aesthetics, and perhaps elements such as the world's/government's perception of and reaction to superheroes, its probably best to go with the New 52. But in terms of characters' mythos and characterizations, I'd prefer they mine the Classic DCU (which is after all, the source of the New 52 as well).

The New 52 is a modern reinvention of the DCU...just like the DCCU is aiming to be. Instead of adapting another adaptation, why not just draw from the source, while taking some pointers from the new adaptation.

Another vote for Best of Both. Non-comics audiences are more aware of the character's legacies from the classic DCU, but they definitely need updating and modernising a la the New52 versions to keep audiences dragged in.

Classic DCU all the way.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I think a mixture of both could work.

Take a little bit of both. In general, the movies will be modernized so there will be similarities to the New 52. It's the same way that the MCU seems to draw more inspiration from the Ultimate universe over the 616. Ultimate was already created in a modern universe and many of the aspects could be easily translated. I see a similar situation where parts of the New 52 are used and parts of Pre-Flashpoint are used

BANNED

It should be its own thing. It shouldn't be afraid to mix and match from all elements of the DC canon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Take a little bit of both. In general, the movies will be modernized so there will be similarities to the New 52. It's the same way that the MCU seems to draw more inspiration from the Ultimate universe over the 616. Ultimate was already created in a modern universe and many of the aspects could be easily translated. I see a similar situation where parts of the New 52 are used and parts of Pre-Flashpoint are used
    Yeah... I'd have to agree.

I agree with both as well. Mixing 616 and Ultimate stuff has worked great for Marvel so I see no reason DC shouldn't do the same.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

I vote for neither. It should carve out its own path, taking influence from whatever better fits the story they want to tell.

I'll take the classic DCU.

The characters could still have been freshened up and moved forward
    in a way that the New52 has been having a hard time doing IMHO.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

BANNED

There's more story to draw on from Classic DCU. So I'd go with that. Even the Flash show seems more in line with the very end of the last continuity than the New 52