Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Diana has been with Mera (Aquaman's wife, and they stayed around each other so much that Nereus got jealous

in addition to the fact that Mera was also Diana's first kiss..

She's also in a relationship with Kasia by the start of the new comics, and also apparently was been or is also in, one with Meghara

So yes.... this was known by anyone who has read comics ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I dislike the whole idea. It's too easy, too expected, yet sensationalist and falls into too many stereotypes. It's far more interesting for her to be a queer character without being queer herself.
    I think you may be on to something here. I'm not surprised that Diana would have sexual relationships with other women on Paradise Island; I just assumed that in my "head canon". But on the local radio station when I was driving home from work, the reporter said "Wonder Woman writer reveals she is GAAAAYYYYYYY"! (which is not what Rucka said). Diana is an awesome character and my favorite superhero, and I just don't want her to be pigeonholed in Western notions of gay or straight, any more than I want her seen as simply a superhero for girls. The beauty of the character for me is that she's above our attempts at categorization.

Diana I've always felt was Pansexual. Gender doesn't matter to her. She falls in love with someone's heart. I doubt Diana if she feels a connection towards someone cares whether they are male or female or omnipotent, or a god or goddess or a being, or someone who doesn't identify with one gender or the other. I don't think those physical things really matter to Diana when it comes to choosing someone to be with.

So I've always felt she was pansexual to be honest. If Diana feels a connection to you, it's because of who you are, not what you are. They can call her bi/pan or whatever they want tbh. She's always been portrayed that way.

Heck even in the "old days" she said(after sipping a beverage way before Kermit made it popular) "All I will say on the matter.. is that they don't call it Paradise Island for nothing..." when asked how she managed her intimate/physical attachment needs without 'men'.

I agree. If she were to label herself, I think she'd choose "pansexual," even though that kind of categorization should feel alien to her.

I'm not surprised this is getting so much traction, but I wonder if DC is happy about it. I'm now in the camp that thinks Rucka has to be cooking something up between Barbara and Diana. Why else give an interview about it? Fans have been assuming this for years, and anyone who read #2 of Rebirth knows she's now definitely been with women. Her friends listed a litany of former lovers. That's not even subtextual.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Re: Mera

This doesn't make sense.

She says that she was Diana's first kiss. Is Mera immortal now?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I don't quite see how Iceman is supposed to be different than Bruce Wayne. If the argument is that Bobby is gay because he hasn't had a steady girl friend. Then why isn't that the case for 80% of male SH''s in the same situation? I've asked this question over and over again and no one has answered it.
    Personally I don't think anyone should ever imitate the Iceman reveal because it was terrible.

Incredible Member

It's a interesting take they're trying to push forward now but doesn't it seem like this is leaning a little toward 'Gays are made and not born' territory? That if you gather one gender together for a long period of time that homosexual relationships will develop among all the occupants?

Or could it be just that when Diana had an 'itch' she scratched it but didn't really develop any romantic feelings toward her partner and didn't start to fall for someone until she met Steve and Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    It's a interesting take they're trying to push forward now but doesn't it seem like this is leaning a little toward 'Gays are made and not born' territory? That if you gather one gender together for a long period of time that homosexual relationships will develop among all the occupants?
    That is why to much should not be made of Diana's behavior on PI, beyond the idea that Diana does not hold any bias toward the idea of entering (or having had entered) into a relationship with a woman. That is much different than self identifying as a bisexual. The idea that having been brought up by "lesbians" makes you a "lesbian" or being brought up by "bisexuals" makes you "bisexual" is not really one that moves any real world concerns forward in a positive way.

The other thing that is never really brought up is that there is this idea floating around.
    - The Amazons lived on an island in isolation for thousands of years, so of course they would have had sexual and romantic relationships.

Forget that this is fiction, that idea is always put forth. But I NEVER hear that idea put forth when it comes to the Oans. Why? Because they are little blue men as opposed to scantily clad maidens? That is rather sexist isn't it?

I am not denying that the character of WW originally had kinky/free love elements that perfumed the writing. But I think there is a big problem with equating lack of bias with preference.

Ultimate Member

I just always pictured the Oans as asexual myself. Isn't that why Ganthet and Sayd's relationship was so controversial to the rest of them. Also Rucka makes it pretty clear that she'd only be labeled if we use modern Western-style labels. But that Diana herself, or the Amazons in-general, don't see it in that way. They love who they love, and race/gender/nationality/etc doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Diana I've always felt was Pansexual.
    She's always seemed oddly asexual to me. Writers rarely have been allowed to explore that part of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Re: Mera

This doesn't make sense.

She says that she was Diana's first kiss. Is Mera immortal now?
    I don't believe DC Bombshells is actually in continuity. I mean, it's a comic based on a series of statues.

Spectacular Member

I can't believe this is an issue to some who consider themselves fans.

Ok, maybe to those who just looked at her on the surface level, who just thought she was some girl who can do fighting moves, etc and have no idea of her life or age, etc.

But for those who know a bit more about her... Wonder Woman is thousands of years old and was stuck on an island with only women, never knowing any men. They think in those thousands of years nothing went on?
    Last edited by Farron; 10-01-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Ultimate Member

I've never really seen Diana as asexual myself. They have touched on her at least being attracted to people before. I see that mostly as many writers being afraid to put her in a flat-out romantic/sexual relationship in the past, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    I can't believe this is an issue to some who consider themselves fans.

Ok, maybe to those who just looked at her on the surface level, who just thought she was some girl who can do fighting moves, etc and have no idea of her life or age, etc.

But for those who know a bit more about her... Wonder Woman is thousands of years old and was stuck on an island with only women, never knowing any men. They think in those thousands of years nothing went on?
    Again, let me reiterate. The issue is not that she has sexual relationships with women. The issue is the way this may be twisted by the mainstream by folks who are not comic book fans or WW fans. Also, I have no doubt that Rucka would explore this in a sensitive and mature fashion. But he won't be the WW writer forever and the next writer may not have his skill or tact. What if Scott Lobdell is the next writer when Rucka leaves? Do you want to read his take on those issues? I don't.

I'm as big a fan of Diana as I assume you are, and I want her to be portrayed with the respect that the character deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Diana I've always felt was Pansexual. Gender doesn't matter to her. She falls in love with someone's heart. I doubt Diana if she feels a connection towards someone cares whether they are male or female or omnipotent, or a god or goddess or a being, or someone who doesn't identify with one gender or the other. I don't think those physical things really matter to Diana when it comes to choosing someone to be with.

So I've always felt she was pansexual to be honest. If Diana feels a connection to you, it's because of who you are, not what you are. They can call her bi/pan or whatever they want tbh. She's always been portrayed that way.

Heck even in the "old days" she said(after sipping a beverage way before Kermit made it popular) "All I will say on the matter.. is that they don't call it Paradise Island for nothing..." when asked how she managed her intimate/physical attachment needs without 'men'.
    I think Pansexual was the word I was looking for. I totally agree with this post.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    Again, let me reiterate. The issue is not that she has sexual relationships with women. The issue is the way this may be twisted by the mainstream by folks who are not comic book fans or WW fans. Also, I have no doubt that Rucka would explore this in a sensitive and mature fashion. But he won't be the WW writer forever and the next writer may not have his skill or tact. What if Scott Lobdell is the next writer when Rucka leaves? Do you want to read his take on those issues? I don't.

I'm as big a fan of Diana as I assume you are, and I want her to be portrayed with the respect that the character deserves.
    Yeah, I wasn't meaning you or anyone else in this topic as to reacting the wrong way or anything, but others out there.

I've seen a few posts by some on twitter thinking along the lines of this fouls her as a character, and then talking about how their grandmother loves Wonder Woman and this news isn't nice and will turn away families from the Wonder Woman film. Then going on and saying things like what Greg Rucka is talking about is him just trying to draw attention to himself and that DC would never stand for it - only to trust what DC Comics says.

Thing is I don't think you need an 'official announcement' from DC Comics, it's just sort of non news.