Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deathstroke 3 spoilers

Rose is a little more powerful than I remember her from Teen Titans. When did she get a super power?

I don't think the story was as compelling as previous issues but I blame the Rose origin just not being as compelling as Slade's. I did really enjoy when Slade lectured her I wondered if Priest has a daughter and it made me laugh. Also telling was her reactions to her father and Wintergreen. I know the surprise alive thing and all but it felt like that was normal whenever she sees the two of them.

Good solid issue.

BANNED

Great issue, I continue to be amazed by the depth of the characterization, the next 2 issues are going to be sweet.

Extraordinary Member

Rose was implied to have developing clairvoyant powers back in the 90's; she had a dream where she pulled a Jericho on a future Deathstroke.

The Rose origin seems more tantalizingly hinted at right now. Rose is still clearly a developing teenager as far as her psyche goes, and Slade is just as clearly a miserable excuse for a father. Her insistence that Nightwing taught her something good is fascinating; I kind of hope that Slade will be forced to grudgingly admit that her physical skills are worthy of a daughter of Deathstroke. And I really hope we see some complexity coming from her struggling with the morality Dick (and whatever other parental figures she has) clashing with Slade's purely mercenary ethos and his cynical logic. As a teenager, she should still be devoloping her own moral code, and there's a part of me that wants to see a mix of deconstruction and reconstruction on superhero morality.

Because Priest is definetly embracing this view of Slade as a totally amoral sonufagun. What honor he may have is clearly more pragmatic and self centered than anything else, and you can really feel the difference between him and, say, Batman. Slade is such a consequentialist in comparison to Bruce that reading books with them back to back highlights how Batman has this core of altruism, humanism, empathy, and Slade's just a vacant and proud warrior out for himself and people who serve a function in his life (even as family and loved ones). And Priest is very subtly handling the Rebirth idea; this week we saw that Rose is much closer to her brothers in age, with Slade's reacquaintance with Lilly lining up with his failure to defend Joeseph from retribution. Combine this with his clearly negligent and abusive treatment of Grant and Joe, and this is clearly a guy who's family life, while a part of his identity, is in a distinctly inferior position to his own wants and desires.

And right now, I can't wait to see how Priest handles the Batman and Robin crossover.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Excelent issue. This series is all I was expected of it and more.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Because Priest is definetly embracing this view of Slade as a totally amoral sonufagun. What honor he may have is clearly more pragmatic and self centered than anything else, and you can really feel the difference between him and, say, Batman. Slade is such a consequentialist in comparison to Bruce that reading books with them back to back highlights how Batman has this core of altruism, humanism, empathy, and Slade's just a vacant and proud warrior out for himself and people who serve a function in his life (even as family and loved ones). And Priest is very subtly handling the Rebirth idea; this week we saw that Rose is much closer to her brothers in age, with Slade's reacquaintance with Lilly lining up with his failure to defend Joeseph from retribution. Combine this with his clearly negligent and abusive treatment of Grant and Joe, and this is clearly a guy who's family life, while a part of his identity, is in a distinctly inferior position to his own wants and desires.

And right now, I can't wait to see how Priest handles the Batman and Robin crossover.
    I agree with this point of view. Slade is warrior, a total bastard who loves the fight. Nothing, absolutely nothing cause more satisfaction to him that the fight. Maybe he loves his wife and his children in a really twisted way but the fight is his real love. I enjoy this type of characters with a crude vision of the life and the cruelty that is reflected in this type of series. It's a good reminder of the real world and an excellent way to criticize it if you ask me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Rose is a little more powerful than I remember her from Teen Titans. When did she get a super power?
    She's had an adrenaline triggered precognition-sense for quite a while, but it usually only really manifests in the way she just knew where her opponent was going to be... kinda like Slade's 90% tactical mind it just made her hard to hit.

As for the issue... I am not sure. I still find the structuring interesting with the glimpses into the past. But personality wise I kinda get why Slade only seems to have one friend in the world, which makes me wonder why he cares now for a family he didn't seem to give much of a hoot about in the past and as a result most of it hates him.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She's had an adrenaline triggered precognition-sense for quite a while, but it usually only really manifests in the way she just knew where her opponent was going to be... kinda like Slade's 90% tactical mind it just made her hard to hit.
    Her precog hasn't been around since before flashpoint though. What I love most about this issue is it basically fixed everything they did horribly at the start of the new 52. Rose is finally Rose again. She has her precog ability, she has the correct mother, she isn't whitewashed any longer, her having trained with nightwing is back, that whole Harvest debacle seems to of been wiped from her history, Slade's a horrible parent again, and her personality overall. After so many years Rose finally resembles the girl who once went skinny dipping in Titans Tower with Kid Devil again.

OK, I remember hear that Rose was the daughter of Slade and another woman, half/sister of Slade son..

QUESTIONS.

Rose had powers and call Slade(to his father) in the past? I don´t remember this in N52..
    Nightwing??
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-29-2016 at 04:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post

As for the issue... I am not sure. I still find the structuring interesting with the glimpses into the past. But personality wise I kinda get why Slade only seems to have one friend in the world, which makes me wonder why he cares now for a family he didn't seem to give much of a hoot about in the past and as a result most of it hates him.
    I think Slade's protectiveness of his family initially stems from his pride: they're literally "his people" in an almost possessive sense, and while he probably does have some sympathy and fondness for them, what sets him off when they're attacked is that it's an insult to his abilities. This is why he relies on his warrior abilities to try and free Joe, getting Joe's throat cut, and why Rose and he clearly have a more professional association than anything personal.

Having said that, I don't think we're supposed to see Slade as sociopathically disengaged from his family. Rather, he does love them as people, but he's still so entirely self-focused that he can't quite contextualize that, which is why what we saw of his family life before the attack on Joe seemed unhealthy on all sides. Slade kind of treats Addie and the kids as an addiction he has to feed, but is capable of assessing criticism accurately and seems have some kind of desire for Addie's emotional well-being. He just ignores it when it clashes with his desires. And this issue seemed to imply that he got tunnel vision while trying to save Joe's life, not assessing Addie's hostility until he was shot in the head. In a way, it's the perfect twist on Deathstroke and his family versus Batman and his: Batman's main relationships are formed via his empathy and willingness to unconditionally love someone, while Deathstroke has all kinds of conditions that end up destroying his family.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The continuing theme of this book seems to be that Slade Wilson is a terrible parent
    Abused his kids
    His work ends up getting one of them killed
    His work ends up getting another one killed
    His work ends up getting one more killed

I think right now Rose is his last chance at being a good father for what its worth

In a way, it's the perfect twist on Deathstroke and his family versus Batman and his: Batman's main relationships are formed via his empathy and willingness to unconditionally love someone, while Deathstroke has all kinds of conditions that end up destroying his family.
    Basically Slade is the summum of the egoism, pride included. The comparison with the Bat-family is curious. If Bruce treats his people with empathy and willingness like you said, a lot of times he been left aside his family or he has lied or hidden things to protect them, for his obligations like Batman and his sense of duty.

Slade, in the opposite, been left aside his family or he has lied or hidden things for his own interests, his egoism and his love for fight. Obviuosly not in the same level, but is interesting the comparison between Slade and Bruce and how, with opposed views, sometimes do the same things in a diferent ways and for diferent reasons.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 09-29-2016 at 06:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    OK, I remember hear that Rose was the daughter of Slade and another woman, half/sister of Slade son..

QUESTIONS.

Rose had powers and call Slade(to his father) in the past? I don´t remember this in N52..
    Nightwing??
    The New-52 sucked, this is the real Rose who was trained by Dick for a while and started referring to Deathstroke as Slade after they were estranged.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
    Her precog hasn't been around since before flashpoint though. What I love most about this issue is it basically fixed everything they did horribly at the start of the new 52. Rose is finally Rose again. She has her precog ability, she has the correct mother, she isn't whitewashed any longer, her having trained with nightwing is back, that whole Harvest debacle seems to of been wiped from her history, Slade's a horrible parent again, and her personality overall. After so many years Rose finally resembles the girl who once went skinny dipping in Titans Tower with Kid Devil again.
    I've been reading DC Comics for 40+ years and did not know most of this info on Rose Wilson. Thank you for getting me up to speed!

This book is part of my personal obsession with collecting all DC Rebirth books that are tasked with restoring destroyed or removed New Teen Titans continuity. With Deathstroke, Titans and Teen Titans, DC and Geoff Johns have got Dan Abnett, Christopher Priest and Ben Percy reclaiming and renewing the legacy of the Titans. I refuse to miss an issue of any of these books.

Priest is an unusual comic scripter in that he packs a lot of narrative in the details requiring fans to PAY ATTENTION to, well, everything. I totally missed the security guards and armored car in the background of one scene so when Rose and the hired guns jump them I had to go back a page and look for the guards and their car on the previous page. Couple that with the titles at the beginning of each sequence which always reference some small but crucial detail and I always have to read Priest's Deathstroke at least twice to catch all the details I missed. Not an easy book to read; you have to be constantly on your toes and read this book slowly to catch all the critical information Priest packs into every script. It's especially challenging when he flips back-and-forth between past and present sequences in the same issue within just a few pages. I love to read, but Priest makes you work hard to follow his storytelling.

This ain't no little kid's book and it isn't dumbed down for the masses either.

The art has been solid and coherent with good action sequences, but it's also workman-like and unspectacular. I'm not complaining, though. It's well-drawn, just not flashy. And yeah, I like flashy art.

Deathstroke's initial sales orders were higher than I expected and I hope they continue to stay at that high level. I like the story they're telling here, I'm loving the ongoing restoration of NTT's continuity and I am in it for the long haul!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
    Thankfully.

I think Slade's protectiveness of his family initially stems from his pride: they're literally "his people" in an almost possessive sense, and while he probably does have some sympathy and fondness for them, what sets him off when they're attacked is that it's an insult to his abilities. This is why he relies on his warrior abilities to try and free Joe, getting Joe's throat cut, and why Rose and he clearly have a more professional association than anything personal.

Having said that, I don't think we're supposed to see Slade as sociopathically disengaged from his family. Rather, he does love them as people, but he's still so entirely self-focused that he can't quite contextualize that, which is why what we saw of his family life before the attack on Joe seemed unhealthy on all sides. Slade kind of treats Addie and the kids as an addiction he has to feed, but is capable of assessing criticism accurately and seems have some kind of desire for Addie's emotional well-being. He just ignores it when it clashes with his desires. And this issue seemed to imply that he got tunnel vision while trying to save Joe's life, not assessing Addie's hostility until he was shot in the head. In a way, it's the perfect twist on Deathstroke and his family versus Batman and his: Batman's main relationships are formed via his empathy and willingness to unconditionally love someone, while Deathstroke has all kinds of conditions that end up destroying his family.
    Thats true... but it just seems like one of those terrible relationships where Slade is only saving them because he wants to continue to be awful to them. Either that or Slade really is emotionally damaged where he just can't show normal affection.

Yeah... kinda like a 'hurts you because he loves you' kind.

Always Rakzo

Really digged this one. I particularly love the voice that Priest gives to Slade, long gone are the Tony Daniel days where he acted and sounded like a stupid fratboy and now he's intelligent, manipulative and yet strangely caring for his family in his own way. This is pretty much how the character should be written.

Loved Bennett's art as well, he knows how to tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Really digged this one. I particularly love the voice that Priest gives to Slade, long gone are the Tony Daniel days where he acted and sounded like a stupid fratboy and now he's intelligent, manipulative and yet strangely caring for his family in his own way. This is pretty much how the character should be written.

Loved Bennett's art as well, he knows how to tell a story.
    Joe Bennett is underrated. And yes, this run is so much better written than Tony Daniel's which was awful.

The retelling of how Joseph was kidnapped and lost his voice coupled with how Slade lost his eye in the process was a very nice surprise. Classic Titans stuff; very enjoyable!