Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Did Rose not get Slades Powers(Call it the Captain America package for short) too? I don't know from Birth or after she got the serum from him in the Teen Titans Series from 2003?

And I really like the new series.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    The New-52 sucked, this is the real Rose who was trained by Dick for a while and started referring to Deathstroke as Slade after they were estranged.
    There is no need to insult something that DC has destroyed for return to the past... is the second time of post-crisis rules.. 2 realities destroyed for this and his superman..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    There is no need to insult something that DC has destroyed for return to the past... is the second time of post-crisis rules.. 2 realities destroyed for this and his superman..
    It is not an insult, the new 52 wrecked Rose,Deathstroke himself was rebooted 3 times during that mess. I'll take a return to the past any day over the crappy Deathstroke comics published during the last few years.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think Slade's protectiveness of his family initially stems from his pride: they're literally "his people" in an almost possessive sense, and while he probably does have some sympathy and fondness for them, what sets him off when they're attacked is that it's an insult to his abilities. This is why he relies on his warrior abilities to try and free Joe, getting Joe's throat cut, and why Rose and he clearly have a more professional association than anything personal.

Having said that, I don't think we're supposed to see Slade as sociopathically disengaged from his family. Rather, he does love them as people, but he's still so entirely self-focused that he can't quite contextualize that, which is why what we saw of his family life before the attack on Joe seemed unhealthy on all sides. Slade kind of treats Addie and the kids as an addiction he has to feed, but is capable of assessing criticism accurately and seems have some kind of desire for Addie's emotional well-being. He just ignores it when it clashes with his desires. And this issue seemed to imply that he got tunnel vision while trying to save Joe's life, not assessing Addie's hostility until he was shot in the head. In a way, it's the perfect twist on Deathstroke and his family versus Batman and his: Batman's main relationships are formed via his empathy and willingness to unconditionally love someone, while Deathstroke has all kinds of conditions that end up destroying his family.
    Yes, exactly! Very well put. I especially love your phrase "Slade kind of treats Addie and the kids as an addiction he has to feed" because that's really accurate. His normal life is going around the globe killing people and hanging with Wintergreen, but every once in a while he has to go home to get a family fix. He's horrible at being a father, but still needs to do it now and then. Rose is the one kid that actually seems to be a reflection of him, so he's invested in her becoming the best at what they do, but he still can't act like a normal human father to her. Those feelings might be there deep under the surface, but he can't express them except in creepy ways like breaking into her apartment and staring at her while she sleeps.

This was another good issue. It was much more straightforward than the others, with only a single flashback. But that flashback was very powerful. I should have seen it coming, but it still surprised me when Addie shot him! The story is well told.

I also like the way everyone has their moment to shine - even Hosun, who's totally unaware he was talking to Ravager's father when he was going on about how hot she is - and Richard the boyfriend, who seems to make promises he can't keep. (Never promise fish and only deliver jam on toast, Richard.) It's interesting how well drawn the supporting characters are when you compare them to the mystery of Slade. He's like a dark star with lots of bright characters orbiting around him.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Not my favorite issue of the series, but that just speaks to the quality of it, because it's all been great thus far. I do think the narrative can get a bit confusing, but that just makes it more worthwhile when you pay attention to the details and go back to re-read the story. Once it's finished I'm sure a lot of the elements will blend together very well on second read. It's hard to write a character who is ultimately bad and amoral but still has enough humanizing qualities that make you root for them. The success of most modern television dramas shows us that it's an appealing dynamic.

Amazing Member

Reading this book is like having a full meal. I don't know if it's selling, but i'm in it til it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    This was another good issue. It was much more straightforward than the others, with only a single flashback. But that flashback was very powerful. I should have seen it coming, but it still surprised me when Addie shot him! The story is well told.
    That is one of the biggest selling points of Priest's Deathstroke: the sequences retelling classic continuity from the days of New Teen Titans. And that's important for multiple reasons.

One--all that continuity is being restored in DC Rebirth.
    Two--it works like many of the other Rebirth books does by working in tandem with multiple titles to weave together continuity across the DC Universe giving readers a bigger story that plays across the widest possible canvas.

Deathstroke, Titans and Teen Titans are all telling separate but equal chapters of Titans lore that work together to tell one far larger story for Titans fans. I'm lovin' it!

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanite View Post
    Reading this book is like having a full meal. I don't know if it's selling, but i'm in it til it ends.
    That is my experience reading Deathstroke, too. I usually read it twice to catch all the little things I missed. You have to be on your toes to read this book. There is a lot going on!

Yet another great issue. I love the relationship between Deathstroke and Rose. The Wilson family is one of the more dysfunctional clans in comics. The fact that Rose refers to him as "Slade" shows that she barely acknowledges the fact that he's her father. He clearly cares about his family but he tries to keep everything professional. Like Batman, the alter ego is dominant even in his normal life. Even around his family he tries to remain Deathstroke: The Terminator. He can't just pay her a visit. He has to break into her apartment and stare at her like a creeper.

Rose says she was trained by Nightwing. So I guess she was a Titan in this continuity. That makes me incredibly happy! I wonder what her role will be in the retelling of the Judas Contract.

I really hope this book is selling well because Priest is knocking it out of the park every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Yes, exactly! Very well put. I especially love your phrase "Slade kind of treats Addie and the kids as an addiction he has to feed" because that's really accurate. His normal life is going around the globe killing people and hanging with Wintergreen, but every once in a while he has to go home to get a family fix. He's horrible at being a father, but still needs to do it now and then. Rose is the one kid that actually seems to be a reflection of him, so he's invested in her becoming the best at what they do, but he still can't act like a normal human father to her. Those feelings might be there deep under the surface, but he can't express them except in creepy ways like breaking into her apartment and staring at her while she sleeps.

I also like the way everyone has their moment to shine - even Hosun, who's totally unaware he was talking to Ravager's father when he was going on about how hot she is - and Richard the boyfriend, who seems to make promises he can't keep. (Never promise fish and only deliver jam on toast, Richard.) It's interesting how well drawn the supporting characters are when you compare them to the mystery of Slade. He's like a dark star with lots of bright characters orbiting around him.
    A really good break down of the story and characterization so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yet another great issue. I love the relationship between Deathstroke and Rose. The Wilson family is one of the more dysfunctional clans in comics. The fact that Rose refers to him as "Slade" shows that she barely acknowledges the fact that he's her father. He clearly cares about his family but he tries to keep everything professional. Like Batman, the alter ego is dominant even in his normal life. Even around his family he tries to remain Deathstroke: The Terminator. He can't just pay her a visit. He has to break into her apartment and stare at her like a creeper.

Rose says she was trained by Nightwing. So I guess she was a Titan in this continuity. That makes me incredibly happy! I wonder what her role will be in the retelling of the Judas Contract.

I really hope this book is selling well because Priest is knocking it out of the park every issue.

A really good break down of the story and characterization so far!
    Thanks for this post. Can anyone tell me where and when Ravager getting trained by Nightwing happened? I totally missed all of that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Thanks for this post. Can anyone tell me where and when Ravager getting trained by Nightwing happened? I totally missed all of that.
    In the last issues of Devin Grayson's Nightwing, during the buildup to Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis itself. Basically, after Nightwing #100 and up to #117, because #118 is when the One Year Later time-skip takes hold.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In the last issues of Devin Grayson's Nightwing, during the buildup to Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis itself. Basically, after Nightwing #100 and up to #117, because #118 is when the One Year Later time-skip takes hold.
    Awesome! Now I know which back issues to look for. Thank you, sir!

Awesome! Now I know which back issues to look for. Thank you, sir!
    You're welcome, though you might have to look a little hard, since I don't quite remember where specifically after #100 the "Renegade" arc starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You're welcome, though you might have to look a little hard, since I don't quite remember where specifically after #100 the "Renegade" arc starts.
    I'm on a back issue buying spree for Nightwing Volume 1. Up to #55 and working towards the hundreds. I'll get there eventually as I plan to purchase the entire run.

Thanks again!

I'm on a back issue buying spree for Nightwing Volume 1. Up to #55 and working towards the hundreds. I'll get there eventually as I plan to purchase the entire run.

Thanks again!
    You're welcome, and good luck collecting Nightwing Vol. 1!