Fantastic Member

Default Batman Beyond: Rebirth Question

Hi. I read the new Batman Beyond: Rebirth and I found to be enjoyable. I've seen the animated series and I've read the old comics, with the exception of the digital first series. Also, I've read Futures End. Could someone fill me in on what has happened in the Beyond timeline since then?

The phrase "the Beyond timeline" is problematic. The animated series and most of the prior BB series (including BB Unlimited and BB Universe) all seemed to be part of the same timeline, and presumably took place on Earth-12, if the Multiversity Guidebook is to be believed.

But the Terry McGinnis who appeared in Futures End was not from that time line, but allegedly the future of the mainstream DCU. And then he came back to a point in time 5 years in the future of the main DCU. And then he died in Futures End and 5-year-future Tim Drake took over the suit, and then went back further back in time to prevent that 5-year-future from happening and then he got flung forward in time to another timeline where Brother Eye had created a dystopia because that is what computers think best (or something like that). So an alternate future that might, possibly, be the future of the current DCU but, really, no way to tell. So Tim cleverly defeats Brother Eye, the brilliant computer (that, to preserve its safety, disabled every teleport except for the one that was standing right next to it). And then Tim, stuck in this future, takes over the role of Batman and fights a few villains, discovers that Brother Eye was even more incompetent than at first believed and failed to kill off the future Justice League as we first thought. So they were brought back. And then Tim finally tumbled that, in this future, Terry never did go back in time and was, in fact, still alive. He finds Terry and Tim then hands back the suit and drives off into the sunset (where he promptly disappears) and Terry resumes being Batman.

So that is where we are where Rebirth kicks in. It is a Terry in a future that is NOT the future of the animated series or any of the other prior BB books, but is the continuation of the timeline of the post-Futures End BB. You will note that the hideous dystopia that Brother Eye created seems to have been fixed, since we now have rich and poor again (as opposed to everybody miserable as the brilliant computer thought best). And the massive starvation that everybody was facing in the early Tim-Drake-BB series seems to have been miraculous fixed. Perhaps because of the Not-Dead Justice League that we have not seen since they were found to be Not-Dead.

Consider yourself filled in.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

BANNED

All you need to know is that bruce is dead because eye killed him, matt is next robin and terry is back after being mind controlled by some villain for weeks.

Everything else is largely irrelevant. As to it being the future future of DC, rebirth will be addressing how this is the main timeline of DC, maybe, sort of. Dont think about it too hard.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    The phrase "the Beyond timeline" is problematic. The animated series and most of the prior BB series (including BB Unlimited and BB Universe) all seemed to be part of the same timeline, and presumably took place on Earth-12, if the Multiversity Guidebook is to be believed.

But the Terry McGinnis who appeared in Futures End was not from that time line, but allegedly the future of the mainstream DCU. And then he came back to a point in time 5 years in the future of the main DCU. And then he died in Futures End and 5-year-future Tim Drake took over the suit, and then went back further back in time to prevent that 5-year-future from happening and then he got flung forward in time to another timeline where Brother Eye had created a dystopia because that is what computers think best (or something like that). So an alternate future that might, possibly, be the future of the current DCU but, really, no way to tell. So Tim cleverly defeats Brother Eye, the brilliant computer (that, to preserve its safety, disabled every teleport except for the one that was standing right next to it). And then Tim, stuck in this future, takes over the role of Batman and fights a few villains, discovers that Brother Eye was even more incompetent than at first believed and failed to kill off the future Justice League as we first thought. So they were brought back. And then Tim finally tumbled that, in this future, Terry never did go back in time and was, in fact, still alive. He finds Terry and Tim then hands back the suit and drives off into the sunset (where he promptly disappears) and Terry resumes being Batman.

So that is where we are where Rebirth kicks in. It is a Terry in a future that is NOT the future of the animated series or any of the other prior BB books, but is the continuation of the timeline of the post-Futures End BB. You will note that the hideous dystopia that Brother Eye created seems to have been fixed, since we now have rich and poor again (as opposed to everybody miserable as the brilliant computer thought best). And the massive starvation that everybody was facing in the early Tim-Drake-BB series seems to have been miraculous fixed. Perhaps because of the Not-Dead Justice League that we have not seen since they were found to be Not-Dead.

Consider yourself filled in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    All you need to know is that bruce is dead because eye killed him, matt is next robin and terry is back after being mind controlled by some villain for weeks.

Everything else is largely irrelevant. As to it being the future future of DC, rebirth will be addressing how this is the main timeline of DC, maybe, sort of. Dont think about it too hard.
    Thanks guys! That's been most helpful.

Is Bruce still considered Terry and Matt's biological father in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    All you need to know is that bruce is dead because eye killed him
    Sorry, but I have to be pedantic here. We have been told that Eye killed Bruce, but in this reality we never saw the body. And, frankly, Brother Eye has proven itself to be remarkably incompetent when it comes to killing people. It would not surprise me if we discover that Bruce is still alive. Heck, it will not surprise me if we find that Terry's Mom is still alive despite Terry telling us in Rebirth that she died during the war.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Sorry, but I have to be pedantic here. We have been told that Eye killed Bruce, but in this reality we never saw the body. And, frankly, Brother Eye has proven itself to be remarkably incompetent when it comes to killing people. It would not surprise me if we discover that Bruce is still alive. Heck, it will not surprise me if we find that Terry's Mom is still alive despite Terry telling us in Rebirth that she died during the war.
    If you don't see a body, there's still a chance the character has survived. That chance still exists even if a body is found, explicitly confirmed to be the person everyone thinks it is and destroyed right down to the atomic level.