Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    However, I'm starting to se an influx of Adam Sandler and other types of films on the Netflix docket that has peaked my eyebrows.
    They cut a deal with Adam Sandler a while back. I think he signed on to do 5 or 6 movies with them. Say what you will about his movies but people do seem to watch them on Netflix quite a bit and that is why they made the deal with him.

As for their series I think they are way more hit than miss. For only coming on the seen with their original stuff less than 5 years ago they have done pretty good so far with a batting average way above alot of other services.

As far as their comedys go they have had quite a few I have really liked like the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Lady Dynamite, and Love. Plus they saved Trailer Park Boys to which I will always be happy for.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Master of None does not skew heavier into the drama side of things, and BoJack Horseman sure as **** doesn't unless the newest stuff has taken a massive shift.
    Dude, have you watched a whole season of Bojack? The last few episodes of every season get super existential and almost eerie. [Spoilers] The first season ends with the question "am I a good person?", the second ends with someone passing away and he was never able to mend/ be forgiven, and the third season gets bonkers in the last 2 episodes. The last episode of season 3, actually, if it weren't animated would feel like an AMC drama.

Also, Master of None has an underlying realism that makes a good drama and shows a deteriorating relationship as the subtext of the whole first season.

I'm not saying these shows ever stop being comedies or aren't funny, just that their situations/ plots/ structures tend to follow a more dramatic structure... and their writing teams do drama really well in the middle of comedies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by micahtaylor View Post
    Dude, have you watched a whole season of Bojack? The last few episodes of every season get super existential and almost eerie. [Spoilers] The first season ends with the question "am I a good person?", the second ends with someone passing away and he was never able to mend/ be forgiven, and the third season gets bonkers in the last 2 episodes. The last episode of season 3, actually, if it weren't animated would feel like an AMC drama.

Also, Master of None has an underlying realism that makes a good drama and shows a deteriorating relationship as the subtext of the whole first season.

I'm not saying these shows ever stop being comedies or aren't funny, just that their situations/ plots/ structures tend to follow a more dramatic structure... and their writing teams do drama really well in the middle of comedies.
    I've watched the whole first season. The first season ends with a cartoonishly shitty cartoon horseman asking that question, the absurdity of it is funny.

So Master of None isn't just a live-action cartoon, so what? It's not like it's Sideways, which is also very much a comedy.

Well, the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 is coming to Netflix soon(ish). That should bring the quality comedy! It's got a great cast, some really spectacular writers, and much of the original cast will return in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by micahtaylor View Post

One persons drama is just part of a comedy show to another person. All good, but netflix has had some good Stamd up specials. Chris tuckers,Cedrics,Hanibal and a few others that were really good. That weird but hilarious Bill murray christmas special

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Well, the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 is coming to Netflix soon(ish). That should bring the quality comedy! It's got a great cast, some really spectacular writers, and much of the original cast will return in some capacity.
    Wait...WHAT!?

They're bringing back MST3K?

****!!!

EDIT: Just read it's going to have a new cast. What the ****!!! That's lame.
    Last edited by Warmonger; 09-30-2016 at 05:02 PM.

BANNED

most of the action movies are mostly foreign and thats whats is worrying me. i can't wait to see Luke Cage and it came out today but i will start watching next week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Oh, I didn't know it was coming to Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Oh, I didn't know it was coming to Netflix.
    And with the entire first season paid for via Kickstarter and Netflix's propensity to renew practically everything for at least a second season I think odds are good for even more MST3K.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    Wait...WHAT!?

They're bringing back MST3K?

****!!!

EDIT: Just read it's going to have a new cast. What the ****!!! That's lame.
    Joel Hodgson's spearheading the revival, and his idea is that MST3K should essentially be like Doctor Who: neverending via recasting. Remember that by the end of the original run the entire cast was different from when it premiered. Many original cast members are returning for cameos (and Mary Jo Pehl and Bill Corbett are contributing writers - along with a murderer's row of great comedy writers).

No production company or tv network can hit everything out of the park. Everyone wants to make an amazing show but it's not that common because it is truly difficult. I'd say netflix batting average on original content has been well above average and something they should be proud of even if not everything is a slam dunk.

Their output is certainly increasing; but it's what they have to do to evolve I guess. With more eyes on the product, they need content, if exclusive, even better. PLus, people watch rubbish generally :-)