Thread: Amazons Series

Default Amazons Series

Would you be interested in an ongoing or mini series starring the Amazons (but not necessarily Diana herself)? If so, what ideas would you like? What characters would you focus on in particular?

For me, I'd do an eight issue mini series that starts with the Amazons in the past to the present where they reintegrate into the modern world. I'd deal with the idea of the Amazons taking in lost girls like Donna Troy and their thoughts on how Man's World has changed and stayed the same.

I'd also deal with the idea of potential mistrust from certain elements from the outside world, but show the Amazons as having allies as well. I would like to see someone like Senator Finch from Batman vs Superman, someone who is wary of the heroes but not outright hostile to them.

The focus would be Hippolyta, Philipus and others.

Thoughts?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yup! One of the reason's I'm so worried about Red Hood and the Outlaws right now is I really liked Artemis from Rucka's run. So far, reports are good, but I'm...just not very trusting with Lobdell's writing longterm.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I would do kind of an anthology series where I'd focus on one Amazon, or a group of them, and tell a story around them.

Options include:

1.) Artemis is active in Man's World right now. Give her a story or two of her heroic adventures in the world.

2.) No one else seems eager to use Grace Choi? I say have her encounter an Amazon or two (maybe Diana herself,) reveal her Amazon origins to her, and have her decide to actually come to Paradise Island and learn about her heritage.

3.) Hippolyta can have stories based on her adventures as Queen. Maybe a new threat has come to PI, and Diana may not be available to help. Hippolyta gets her Queen on and deals with it with the resources of her island and her people at her command. Maybe she deals with some internecine political strife within the Amazons themselves. Maybe she, like Aquaman, is interested in getting PI recognized as a sovereign nation, and she ventures into a world of intrigue as she works with world leaders to gain that recognition.

4.) Maybe establish an Amazon or two who come to Man's World on a different mission than Diana's. All kinds of story options exist: helping empower women; taking care of war refugees; providing protection for people against some threat or another, etc.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yup! One of the reason's I'm so worried about Red Hood and the Outlaws right now is I really liked Artemis from Rucka's run. So far, reports are good, but I'm...just not very trusting with Lobdell's writing longterm.
    I gave it two issues. I'd love to pick it up again if someone else ever gets put on writing duty.

I think a revamped Themysciran embassy in DC would be a good setting to feature some Amazons. I don't know why it's always been played so straight. Give them a sprawling Classical villa in the heart of DC that could serve as Diana's equivalent to the Batcave, stock it with Ferdinand and a strong supporting cast of Amazons trying to adapt to an alien way of life, then let hijinx ensue.
    Last edited by Bosch; 09-30-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

What about a series titled.WONDER WOMEN and not only have story of the AMAZONS but as an anthology book with all the heroiens of the DC UNIVERSE or it can be a team book like marvel's A-FORCE and my team would consist of.

WONDER WOMAN=LEADER
    HAWKWOMAN=SHAYERA=CO LEADER
    DR LIGHT=KIMIYO
    LODESTONE=RHEA JONES
    EMPRESS=ANITA FITE
    MANITOU DAWN

One spin based out of N52 characters could be to look at Exorcisto again, her back story wasn't really explored that I recall so she might be a good character to explore the early Amazons. Perhaps follow it up with Hessia's story and then cap off the 3-part story of Exiled Amazons with either someone new, Artemis or maybe Mirina and Grail.

I'd also love to see Hippolyta in some adventures again, maybe investigate her leadership of the Amazons for over 3,000 years, some battles with Doom's Doorway and maybe some conflict with the gods.

Artemis and Philipus also deserve some attention IMO ... I'd like to see them teamed up for some adventures in Man's World

Mighty Member

Id love it.

I think the main character to focus on is Hippolyta she's actually the only recurring character in her mythos that never gets retconned and she has so much story already that could make a good solo. We can get some stories about her pre Themyscira days when she first met Phillipus and when she was a lot more reckless before becoming a queen. Hercules would be a recurring villain and maybe some run ins with Circe along with a bunch of other mythological characters. Also a great way to develop the amazons more.

Artemis is already with the Outlaws but I can see her in a darker more anti hero type story maybe a revenge plot.

This will never happen but a OITNB type of series for her villains set on Reformation Island would be funny. They are all stuck and power less so they get up to silly shenanigans on the island. You can have Mala playing a big role in it.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.