Default How often would characters interact with The Watcher in "What If??" issues?

Just curious how often he went from "simply an observer" to actively interacting or even intervening with the characters in those issues? Did it ever happen?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Just curious how often he went from "simply an observer" to actively interacting or even intervening with the characters in those issues? Did it ever happen?
    I used to read a lot of those What If issues back in the day and as I recall he never did. He mostly served as the "host" of the comic and usually provided the introduction to the story and then a closing to the story. Now in the comics he has broken that vow quite a lot , for example with the Coming of the Galactus in the Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I used to read a lot of those What If issues back in the day and as I recall he never did. He mostly served as the "host" of the comic and usually provided the introduction to the story and then a closing to the story. Now in the comics he has broken that vow quite a lot , for example with the Coming of the Galactus in the Fantastic Four.
    In agreement with you about "The Coming of Galactus". Truly classic! Other fave examples would be...

The Trial of Galactus
    (However, he was granted permission)

Red Glare
    (Unfortunately, it was all a fake-out)

Hunting Season/Killable
    (A non-speaking role, though)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-29-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but Quasar #30 might be of interest. The Watcher enlists the aid of Quasar to recapture the Living Laser, who is causing all sorts of trouble in different alternate realities related to the "What If...? series. Uatu just observes & doesn't interact with those characters, but Wendell does (albeit, very briefly): https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Quasar_Vol_1_30
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-29-2021 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Most of the What If? stories were hypothetical, but viewed through the lens of actual events that occurred in divergent realities. It goes back to that old thought experiment that holds that actual reality is truly only manifest and valid once we perceive it. However, in order for that to be 100% true, Uatu would have likely met his own counterpart in those realities -- something that I don't recall ever happening. So in some respects it makes sense that the Watcher is merely the narrator and passive observer in most of those stories. But his role in the universe doesn't preclude him from being the focus of his own "What If?" scenarios. Uatu isn't so cosmically removed that his own reality doesn't diverge. Someday I hope to read a story to the effect, "What If the Watcher never died in the Original Sin event?"

In the What If comics he never interacted with the characters of the stories. He would just do the intro and ending and act as narrator.

In the comics he talked to people all the damn time. He broke his sacred rule of not interfering so much it was a damn joke. That is why I never really liked his character. Hell even in a Strange Tales issue he sends Torch and Thing back in time to Battle Kang while every 5th sentence is "I can not interfere". There was a great joke in Twisted ToyFare where the Watcher is working at a clothes store and uses the line.

"These pants are 15% off at Old Navy but I have Vowed to never interfere"
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Niffleheim

Correct if I’m wrong but wasn’t there a Silver Surfer episode where Uatu’s whole species turned into a huge slug like organism due to their interference?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough