Extraordinary Member

Default What year did Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X take place?

I remember there was a specific year given (sometime in the 1960s), but for the life of me I can neither remember or find it anywhere. I googled it and even looked at the trade at my local library and nothing (for whatever reason I'm guessing in the various reprintings they obscured it in the panels). I remember the sequel in the regular Wolverine book at the time by Larry Hama and Marc Silvestri was partly written to vague it up a bit because TPTB didn't like a solid date on that, but I'm really super curious.

Anyone know?

March - September 1991, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_X_(story_arc)

And for the graphic novel, here are the ISBNs:

Collected editions
    The story has been collected numerous times, first in a 1993 hardcover (ISBN 0871359464) then a 2007 hardcover (ISBN 0-7851-2667-8) which was reprinted in 2009 as a paperback (ISBN 0-7851-3726-2).

Additionally, the story is one of several others in the Best of Wolverine, Volume 1 hardcover, published in 2004 (ISBN 0-7851-1370-3).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    March - September 1991, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_X_(story_arc)

And for the graphic novel, here are the ISBNs:

Collected editions
    The story has been collected numerous times, first in a 1993 hardcover (ISBN 0871359464) then a 2007 hardcover (ISBN 0-7851-2667-8) which was reprinted in 2009 as a paperback (ISBN 0-7851-3726-2).

Additionally, the story is one of several others in the Best of Wolverine, Volume 1 hardcover, published in 2004 (ISBN 0-7851-1370-3).
    No, he means when is the story set. Not when it was published.

Oops, my bad. The more you know.

I looked for a bit and couldn't find anything. Not even a newspaper on a desk or background or anything.

Well, it happened in the decade or so following his involvement in World War 2, so I would guess the 50's or VERY early 60's. This is just based on time between WW2 and his recruitment in the X-Men (with a date of 1975).

Of course, Marvel's sliding timescale may shift the Weapon X program to anywhere from 1946 to 1980. No way to really tell, and I doubt that Marvel is too keen on the idea of clearly defining the date, what with the sliding time scale and all. Best not to ever pin characters down to specific moments in real time.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Well, it happened in the decade or so following his involvement in World War 2, so I would guess the 50's or VERY early 60's. This is just based on time between WW2 and his recruitment in the X-Men (with a date of 1975).

Of course, Marvel's sliding timescale may shift the Weapon X program to anywhere from 1946 to 1980. No way to really tell, and I doubt that Marvel is too keen on the idea of clearly defining the date, what with the sliding time scale and all. Best not to ever pin characters down to specific moments in real time.
    I do remember reading somewhere that there was a specific date mentioned, though. Sometime in the '60s. And a large reason the Hama/Silvestri sequel in the main Wolvie book was written was because Marvel didn't like a solid and set date like that because, yeah, they like their sliding timelines. I flipped through the trade at my library and looked at what I think was all the newspapers in all the panels, but they were all far too smudgy for me to make out. It makes me wonder if they did that on purpose with the reprints because they didn't like the set date. I tried going through all the monitor screens in the panels but there are just A LOT in that story that I probably didn't even get through a fraction of them. I'll probably end up checking it out sometime in the next week to take another look, but if anyone knows before that, yeah, just let me know!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    No, he means when is the story set. Not when it was published.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    Oops, my bad. The more you know.

I looked for a bit and couldn't find anything. Not even a newspaper on a desk or background or anything.
    Logan has at least one memory of meeting Captain America during World War II which canon verifies as true...

Sometime soon after World War II ended, Logan was taken by a group of scientists led by Dr. Cornelius as part of the Weapon X program. Cornelius was hired to perfect and use a technique that would bond the indestructible element Adamantium to human bone cells. Logan's skeleton was bonded to the Adamantium, and he was indoctrinated into the Weapon X Program.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 07-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

1964!

I was searching through some old Wizard magazine issues I have and found a Wolverine special they did and they said the story was set in 1964, which was the first time they had hinted that Wolvie was as long lived as he was! Then right after that Larry Hama was given the orders to vague it up a bit because they didn't like the set in stone date which is why he came up with the idea for memory implants, which he did not like having to do at all because of how much he loved the original story!

God, that was going to drive me CRAZY if I couldn't figure that one out! Of course later that date seemed to have been moved up some to the '70s or perhaps even the '80s now, but the original story was set in 1964!

Whew! Now I can finally get on with my life!

BANNED

Some old Wizard magazine isn't remotely considered canon... Nonetheless, any chance you can tell us the year and issue number of said wizard magazine or scan said page(s) and post them for all of us to read?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Some old Wizard magazine isn't remotely considered canon... Nonetheless, any chance you can tell us the year and issue number of said wizard magazine or scan said page(s) and post them for all of us to read?
    photo-8.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Keep in mind, I wasn't necessarily looking for what was in canon now. I was merely looking for what was in canon as of that story's publication. As stated by Larry Hama, himself (in this very article), he was given the orders to vague it all up and other writers have since invalidated that date. But as of that story's publication up until Hama and Silvestri's sequel it was canon for however short of a period it was.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 07-02-2014 at 03:31 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

It wasn't in the 60's. He stopped being part of team x in 1968. He then spent roughly 10 years doing vietnam and working ad an agent in department K. Then weapon x happened. So if you have to put a stamp on it sometime during the 80's which is followed by 10 years as a member of department H before defecting to the X-Men.
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    It wasn't in the 60's. He stopped being part of team x in 1968. He then spent roughly 10 years doing vietnam and working ad an agent in department K. Then weapon x happened. So if you have to put a stamp on it sometime during the 80's which is followed by 10 years as a member of department H before defecting to the X-Men.
    Yeah, that's what they changed it to later after Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X. As someone else pointed out, Marvel does like their sliding timelines. If they didn't, Tony Stark and the FF would be far older than they appear to be today.