View Poll Results: Who was the first Dr. Mid-Night / Dr. Midnight you ever read about?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dr. Charles McNider (1941)

55 61.11%
  • Dr. Beth Chapel (1985)

6 6.67%
  • Dr. Pieter Anton Cross (1999)

29 32.22%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

I really think the classic Doctor Mid-Nite costume is one of the better designs for the original JSAers. And it's probably what Dick Grayson should have chosen as a costume upgrade when he grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I really think the classic Doctor Mid-Nite costume is one of the better designs for the original JSAers. And it's probably what Dick Grayson should have chosen as a costume upgrade when he grew up.
    I agree, I have always really loved his costume.

And little acknowledged, but he was one of (if not the) first superheroes with a disability.

Dr. Charles McNider, when he participated in the Silver Age JSA/JLA "Crisis On..." crossovers (long before Crisis On Infinite Earths.) I was just a bit too young to catch him in the original Golden Age comics.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Looks like responses to the poll so far show
    * 28 people said "Dr. Charles McNider (1941)"
    * 10 people chose "Dr. Pieter Anton Cross (1999)"
    * 3 people voted "Dr. Beth Chapel (1985)"

Dr. Pieter Cross for me in the pages of the JSA. IIRC they briefly toyed with Dr. Mid-Nite and Black Canary becoming a couple. Regardless the friendship that developed between Pieter and Mr. Terrific was fun to read.

BANNED

Definitely read about Charles first.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Dr. Pieter Cross for me in the pages of the JSA. IIRC they briefly toyed with Dr. Mid-Nite and Black Canary becoming a couple. Regardless the friendship that developed between Pieter and Mr. Terrific was fun to read.
    However, while I read about Charles first, I prefer Pieter in just about every way. I was really bummed when Dinah dumped him because Oli came back to life, and I definitely agree that his overly serious/nerdy friendship with Michael was great.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    However, while I read about Charles first, I prefer Pieter in just about every way. I was really bummed when Dinah dumped him because Oli came back to life, and I definitely agree that his overly serious/nerdy friendship with Michael was great.
    Yeah, Dinah kinda did wrong by Pieter, especially with how obvious it was she broke up with him because Ollie was back, particularly given she never really explained it to him all that well.

He deserved better then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Dinah kinda did wrong by Pieter, especially with how obvious it was she broke up with him because Ollie was back, particularly given she never really explained it to him all that well.

He deserved better then that.
    They would have made a great couple and provided a new dynamic rather than the classic Green Arrow and Black Canary pairing (again.) What could have been...

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Doctor Mid-Nite (McNider) was the first I read, only to catch his death in Zero Hour
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

The first one I paid attention to was in the 2000s era of JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't feel bad she was DEAD by the time that 92 JSA series started. I have her first appearances and death issue.
    Dr. Chapel was actually still alive at that point, she didn't get slaughtered until a couple of years later in Eclipso.

Dr. McNider was seriously under-utilized - I wish he got more solo stories, but I think writers never truly knew how to handle his blindness, he never seemed to have much of a personality.

I remember being pretty miffed about the casual and shitty way both Drs were disposed of. Zero Hour really did the JSA dirty -- 50 years of history and they were just pushed aside in a couple of panels by a shitty secondary villain (don't get me started on how they ruined Hawk but I digress).

I first read about McNider and I love that old costume, but I'm a big fan of Cross, from the Wagner mini to his tenure in JSA. I really wish they'd bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I first read about McNider and I love that old costume, but I'm a big fan of Cross, from the Wagner mini to his tenure in JSA. I really wish they'd bring him back.
    Well, Cross himself did show up during the New52.

That was in Green Arrow #35 back in 2014.
    (Off-hand, I'm not aware of any further appearances after that.)

Current responses to the poll show
    * 37 people said "Dr. Charles McNider (1941)"
    * 12 people chose "Dr. Pieter Anton Cross (1999)"
    * 5 people voted "Dr. Beth Chapel (1985)"

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Current responses to the poll show
    * 37 people said "Dr. Charles McNider (1941)"
    * 12 people chose "Dr. Pieter Anton Cross (1999)"
    * 5 people voted "Dr. Beth Chapel (1985)"
    And since then, two more people have voted for "Dr. Charles McNider".