Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Less Popular Talent You Loved on Batman

Share those comics you truly enjoyed by bat-talent who aren't widely beloved, or at least, not widely-beloved on bat characters.

Inspired by my rereading Odyssey this morning and genuinely loving Adams' plot, characterizations, extrapolations, while acknowledging that yeah, he's got his weaknesses and weird choices, and yes, nobody else seems to "un-ironically" love the thing as much as me.

But, Neal Adams isn't exactly "less popular," so...

Alisa Kwitney, long-time comics editor, novelist, and occasional comics writer did a wonderful short spirit of Gotham tour of the No Man's Land era city, with pitch perfect use of Penguin, Oracle, Ivy and many landmarks of the city. Strong work. Nobody seems to remember it.

Adam Warren is so ridiculously talented, and his Batman-playing-Robin in Scissors, Paper, Stone was cool, actiony, existential. I don't even think Scissors, Paper, Stone has ever gone back into print after the first run.

Igor Kordey does a brilliant Batman. Depth, strength, a wonderful Bogart-y weariness to him.

Enrique Alcatena has done some gorgeously romantic bat-comics, and he's not exactly an unknown to any extent, but he never seemed to get appreciated in bat-circles all that much.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Alisa Kwitney, long-time comics editor, novelist, and occasional comics writer did a wonderful short spirit of Gotham tour of the No Man's Land era city, with pitch perfect use of Penguin, Oracle, Ivy and many landmarks of the city. Strong work. Nobody seems to remember it.

Igor Kordey does a brilliant Batman. Depth, strength, a wonderful Bogart-y weariness to him.
    First one sounds interesting and I always dug Igor Kordey - what issues do I need to look for?

I've always liked Sam Keith's work on Batman. An acquired taste I know.

I didn't know Warren had done any Batman work. I'll have to track that down. Thanks.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I for one really liked War Games, NML, and I really love Hush.

I like pretty much love all of Loeb's Batman works, and I'm gonna surprised that he doesn't get more love.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    First one sounds interesting and I always dug Igor Kordey - what issues do I need to look for?
    The Kwitney story was the opener of the NML Secret Files oneshot. It may be the in the new NML collections, but I really doubt it. Those Secret Files things tend to resell cheap, in my experience, anyway.

And, Kordey drew Batman in the Tarzan crossover, Claws of the Cat-Woman. Which, does have a trade.

Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I like all of Judd Winick's work on Batman, except that awful Superman/Batman issue.
    Buh-bye

I don't have any good picks right now. I was thinking Brian Azzarello but I figured he might be consider too much a bat writer/is to well known. I will follow this topic though since I find it quite intresting and might find some gems.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I for one really liked War Games, NML, and I really love Hush.

I like pretty much love all of Loeb's Batman works, and I'm gonna surprised that he doesn't get more love.
    What did Loeb had to do with War Games and No man's Land? Also Loeb got in the six spot. Loeb is recognised as a Bat writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_11 View Post
    I've always liked Sam Keith's work on Batman.
    He was the name I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title. Secrets was great.

I also liked Dave Lapham's City of Crime which doesn't get much love.

Another one is Peter Milligan. He gets a lot of love on these boards, but overall I don't think his run is that well known - which is a shame because it's brilliant.

David Hine Azrael, Arkham Reborn, B&R 16
    Kevin Smith Widening Gyre
    Steve Niles Gotham County Line
    Jean Marc Lofficier Nosferatu and the the entire expressionist trilogy (also artist Ted McKeever's black & white short, Constant Mourning)
    Peter Milligan as dancj mentioned he's well known but not so much for Batman. The new trade this December should make it easier for people to find his run

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The Kwitney story was the opener of the NML Secret Files oneshot. It may be the in the new NML collections, but I really doubt it. Those Secret Files things tend to resell cheap, in my experience, anyway.

And, Kordey drew Batman in the Tarzan crossover, Claws of the Cat-Woman. Which, does have a trade.

Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I like all of Judd Winick's work on Batman, except that awful Superman/Batman issue.
    Even Long Shadows and that dire Jason Todd arc in B&R?

BANNED

• Seth Fisher on Batman: Snow
    • Al Barrionuevo on Batman: Gotham Knights
    • James Jean doing Batgirl covers and War Games TPB covers
    • Damion Scott doing Batgirl interiors
    • Marcos Martin on Batgirl: Year One
    • Jae Lee doing Batman: Gotham Knights covers
    • David Hine on Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Reborn and Batman and Robin #26
    • Landry Quinn Walker on Joker's Asylum: The Mad Hatter
    • A.J. Lieberman on Harley Quinn
    • Ales Kot on Suicide Squad's Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I also liked Dave Lapham's City of Crime which doesn't get much love.
    I adore the covers that he did for that run. Shame Sienkiewicz didn't follow him on the interiors.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    A.J. Lieberman on Harley Quinn
    Definitely, can't wait for the trade to re-read this stuff.

I'd like to mention Devin Greyson on Gothan Knights. I liked most of the run, but the Hugo Strange arc 'Transference' sticks in my mind. She also had Bruce formally adopt Dick, which was touching and a great move.

Also Roger Robinson on Azrael/Gotham Knights.
    Last edited by exile001; 07-02-2014 at 07:27 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    I don't have any good picks right now. I was thinking Brian Azzarello but I figured he might be consider too much a bat writer/is to well known. I will follow this topic though since I find it quite intresting and might find some gems.

What did Loeb had to do with War Games and No man's Land? Also Loeb got in the six spot. Loeb is recognised as a Bat writer.

Nothing, I was listing the Batman titles that most don't really like.

I also really like Winick's work.

Broken...and done... Blackblood's Avatar

Batman: Manbat - John Bolton and Jamie Delano
    Batman: Nevermore - Bernie Wrightson, Guy Davis and Len Wein
    Batman & Demon - James Murray and Alan Grant
    Batman: The Blue, the Grey and the Bat - Alan Weiss and Elliot Maggin
    Batman : Holy Terror - Norm Breyfogle and Alan Brennert
    ''Still they cry out for him...for their hero and savior...but he is broken...and GOTHAM IS MINE!!!'' - Bane

''Just you. And me. And Smith and Wesson.'' - Detective Harvey Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Definitely, can't wait for the trade to re-read this stuff.

I'd like to mention Devin Greyson on Gothan Knights. I liked most of the run, but the Hugo Strange arc 'Transference' sticks in my mind. She also had Bruce formally adopt Dick, which was touching and a great move.

Also Roger Robinson on Azrael/Gotham Knights.
    I thought Grayson would count as a more popular, since she launched an ongoing bat-title, but maybe not.

Gotham Knights up until she left was a great title, though, for her stuff, for the great occasional inventory story they'd run, like Jen Van Meter's Barbara Gordon story, and for the usually-great backups.

Grayson's look at Alfred's time in Gotham, all the whys for staying, and pairing him off in this unspoken, occasional thing with Leslie was wonderful stuff.

Retired

There's no good way to answer this. However you phrase it's bound to be unflattering to the person involved. You're effectively saying: Hey, not many people like you or respect you, but I'm going to single you out for pity's sake.

I'd hate to be in the shoes of one of these folks and seeing my name on here. Most people don't know they're unpopular until it's pointed out to them.

But I'll take the risk and name two guys who are dead--so they're past caring. This would be Bob Powell and Norman Saunders who did the painted images on the Batman bubble gum cards from Topps in 1966. They had a cool, pulpy, jazzy way of rendering the Dynamic Duo and their foes--and I was getting these cards before I got the comics--so they had a profound influence on how I saw the Gotham Gangbusters. The cards probably were popular at the time--but as time has marched on most of the Bat-maniacs have forgotten them.