Default I didn’t know that!

Hey guys!

If, during the course of your day, you run across some random factoid that you’d never thought to look up, and you learn something new, feel free to share it here.

Doesn’t matter if everyone else knows it, if it’s new to you.

For example, I only just found out medicine cabinets (mostly in homes built before the seventies) used to have a little slot that went into the wall.

It was there to dispose of one’s shaving razor blades when those were still a thing!

That means there are old houses out there w. potentially hundreds of razor blades just sitting in the walls.

Astonishing Member

I used to dispose of used razor blades through the slot in the medicine cabinet, back when I was a younger shaver and razor blades were flat.

^^^Ah, that’s pretty cool!

Still, I’d be afraid someone was looking at me through that thing…

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Ah, that’s pretty cool!

Still, I’d be afraid someone was looking at me through that thing…
    LOL! So true today too.

I have seen plenty of those old cabinets but none with the razor-blade slots.

But, if I ever do.....I may just peek inside to see if someone is hiding in the walls!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    LOL! So true today too.

I have seen plenty of those old cabinets but none with the razor-blade slots.

But, if I ever do.....I may just peek inside to see if someone is hiding in the walls!
    ^^^But what if someone IS in there???

This is when I pull out the duct tape!

Do ppl highly trained in H2H combat really have to register their hands as deadly weapons in the U.S.?

Nope… except for in one U.S. territory- Guam!

There, in Title 10- Health & Safety Division 3- Public Safety, Chapter 62, it states,

Any person who is an expert in the art of karate or judo, or any similar physical in which the hands and feet are used as deadly weapons, is required to register with the Department of Revenue and Taxation.

U.S. military members and law enforcement, are exempt, though. The registration fee is nominal (though I can’t find the exact price) and never needs to be renewed.

If an expert fails to register and this is discovered by the authorities, he or she will be found guilty of a misdemeanor crime.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I used to dispose of used razor blades through the slot in the medicine cabinet, back when I was a younger shaver and razor blades were flat.
    These days you buy a small plastic box with that slit to dispose of your razor blades. And yeah, that's still a thing. My older brother turned me on to that, you use the blade once or twice, then pop it out of the razor body and dispose of it as indicated, and put a new blade on. I also use a brush and shaving soap instead of that bottle with the cream. When that little plastic box is full, you dispose of it and get a new one from Amazon.

Boisterously Confused

Rome (well, to be accurate, the Western/Italian chunk of the empire) didn't fall because the Visigoths sacked it. It fell because the Visigoths and other enemies tore down the aqueducts that brought it water from hundreds of miles away. Without the hydration and sanitation capacity the aqueducts provided, the city couldn't sustain its population.

It'd be like somebody cutting all of New Yorks tunnels and bridges