Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Netflix seems afraid of non "muggle" shows.

Maybe that is where the audience is, but take a look at some of the shows I'm watching or looking forward to.

-the flash
    -game of thrones
    -limitless (RIP)
    -the magicians
    -the expanse
    -killjoys
    -dark matter
    -westworld
    -walking dead
    -the strain
    -gotham
    -agents of shield (this is so effing good now)
    -powers

and of course... the netflix marvel shows

-daredevil
    -jessica jones
    -luke cage
    -iron fist

-punisher

Notice a problem here? all the marvel stuff on netflix is ULTRA mundane and low powered (jesus effing christ spend some damn money - they seemed to spend more on "the get down" than any of these shows.

I enjoyed daredevil, and jessica jones, going to watch luke cage but expect to like that least of all. Why? There are a smattering of powers, but the choices here seem tailor made to do as LITTLE as possible that does not look like an actual comic show. Contrast this with the flash, the special effects, the exotic characters, those guys are FEARLESS, the chains are off. Can you IMAGINE netflix having a show like that?

I'm most looking forward to iron fist since it seems like it will have a more mystical bent, but the other shoe to drop on a future marvel show? The Punisher.... I get it, people liked the punisher but... once AGAIN it's just some no powered anti hero. Grow some BALLS netflix! WTF is wrong with them? Is it JUST me that feels this way?

hbo has game of thrones, in glorious 1080p.... if that (not sure what the streaming quality is). THAT is a show that could use the 4k treatment for my 4k tv. It's an epic show that is NOT constrained by mundane effing reality, like you know... marco polo is. See the difference? Large budget on each, but NETFLIX chooses to almost NEVER go higher fantasy or sci fi. But let's make sure to show fuller house in 4k, and more comedians...

THAT IS NOT WHAT WE NEED in 4k, we need you to be a bigger champion of sci fi and fantasy! Who gives a damn if house of cards is in 4k, I want to see the expanse in 4k !!!!!!!! But I can't because netflix is not the producer of that show.

Even the marvel stuff, where you'd think they'd be FORCED to go more fantastical... agents of shield runs circles around all the marvel netflix shows so far as far as spectacle goes with powers.

I saw westworld tonight, looks extremely promising. And of course it's not on netflix, why?

Now some of you may think, who cares, it's on other networks so the stuff is still being made. Sure. And it gets released in INFERIOR ways. if you are LUCKY you can get it broadcast in 720p/1080i.

4k broadcasts? Sure, for sports or pay per view, the former being the MOST perishable of ALL POSSIBLE god damn content, oh sure, we'll broadcast THAT in 4k. But a show like game of effing thrones, that consistently wins awards for visual effects? 720p peasants. Netflix has the better distribution model, but not the content. And the other networks are not cowards when it comes to more exotic sci fi / fantasy shows, but they seem to want these archaic delivery windows, broadcast with commercials, then a day later 1080p single episode downloads (maybe hulu plus streams the next day). And 4k streams? TOTAL silence. But I bet some of these jerks will try to milk 4k blue ray as the only 4k versions of the show instead of just streaming that in higher quality. I find this all absolutely maddening.

Would you all rather see this kind of scene in 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zL6bPLzKA8

or this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwUzF1q5w4

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXuGLswn2l0

When I go to the theater, I ONLY go to the AMC that has dolby cinema, because the ONLY movies I see are the kinds that are filled with more spectacle. That is where I intend to see Doctor Strange, I am not going to WASTE my time seeing something like Bridget Jones Diary in that kind of venue.

Well netflix is the dolby cinema of the tv streaming world, and their chosen content is less game of thrones, less the flash, less agents of shield or the expanse... it's fuller house.

Step the hell up netflix.

Comic books have a variety of tone and power levels. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are no less comic book shows just because they don't have time travel or talking gorillas.

Cant do high sfx on tv

Flash show looks retarded and corny as hell. Ditto for super girl

Dd, jj, and cage are street level. There powers arent visual and flashy.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

And Preacher and iZombie are no less (non-Netflix!) comicbook shows because they don't even have superheroes or costumes in them.

Incidentally, while i's difficult to find hard data on this, Daredevil seems to have had a much larger budget than shows like The Flash or Arrow. And it shows. Special effects aren't everything.
    And fiming the DC series on the cheap in Vancouver helps a lot.
    Last edited by Carabas; 10-03-2016 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Cant do high sfx on tv

The Daredevil and Luke Cage comics they're pulling from are pretty fucking visual and flashy. The genres they're playing in are pretty visual and flashy. Daredevil's powers are actually super visual and flashy, they just don't even kind of try doing that in the Netflix show.

Hell, just look at that page.

The Flash show looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comic books have a variety of tone and power levels. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are no less comic book shows just because they don't have time travel or talking gorillas.
    True, though for my money it's hard to top a talking telepathic gorilla .

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The MST3K revival is going to be on Netflix, which will probably be what finally motivates me to get Netflix.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Of course they are comic shows, but netflix/marvel duo seems to only want to focus on the most mundane of all possible aspects. Why? The magicians has more fantasy on syfy than the marvel shows.

Incredible Member

Cant do high sfx on tv

You can do high sfx on television, on the high end there is game of thrones, and on the more budget end that still reaches for the fences you have the flash. Some effects like the cgi gorilla and cg flash are a bit off, but the rest of the show looks remarkably good for the money spent.

And yes, I know dd and cage are street level. I know their powers are not flashy, and neither are Jessica Jones in what we've seen, with maybe a small carve out for iron fist. But you know what? Netflix/marvel tv CHOSE that, and the new expansion of the punisher just continues that trend. My issue here is not that they have less flashy characters and street level stories, it's that they ONLY seem to want to show that kind of show. Almost as if netflix is afraid of mixing in more effects heavy first party content. To me this smacks of a deep insecurity. HBO does not let that constrain the stories they want to tell, even effing CW does not do that will FAR less money. But netflix...

FX has legion, that will almost certainly feature more fantastical powers, even if done in a more budget friendly way. That is the kind of show I'd prefer to see included on netflix, along with the expanse and dark matter and killjoys that are more sci fi fare. But netflix won't. Stranger things will pretty low effects for most of the show. Marco polo has more effects but the goal there is to pad the creation of standard reality as it once existed.

This should rub EVERYONE on this forum the wrong way. You all are not here talking about the latest CSI, reading the latest standard novel about a historical figure. This is a COMIC forum. And last I checked, there is a wide open universe out there beyond mundane low powered comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    You can do high sfx on television, on the high end there is game of thrones, and on the more budget end that still reaches for the fences you have the flash. Some effects like the cgi gorilla and cg flash are a bit off, but the rest of the show looks remarkably good for the money spent.

And yes, I know dd and cage are street level. I know their powers are not flashy, and neither are Jessica Jones in what we've seen, with maybe a small carve out for iron fist. But you know what? Netflix/marvel tv CHOSE that, and the new expansion of the punisher just continues that trend. My issue here is not that they have less flashy characters and street level stories, it's that they ONLY seem to want to show that kind of show. Almost as if netflix is afraid of mixing in more effects heavy first party content. To me this smacks of a deep insecurity. HBO does not let that constrain the stories they want to tell, even effing CW does not do that will FAR less money. But netflix...

FX has legion, that will almost certainly feature more fantastical powers, even if done in a more budget friendly way. That is the kind of show I'd prefer to see included on netflix, along with the expanse and dark matter and killjoys that are more sci fi fare. But netflix won't. Stranger things will pretty low effects for most of the show. Marco polo has more effects but the goal there is to pad the creation of standard reality as it once existed.

This should rub EVERYONE on this forum the wrong way. You all are not here talking about the latest CSI, reading the latest standard novel about a historical figure. This is a COMIC forum. And last I checked, there is a wide open universe out there beyond mundane low powered comics.
    Which street level Marvel character that they have the rights for that the movies have no plan for do you want to see show up on Netflix that have "fancy" high SFX powers?

Id rather have top class acting and SFX that looks good instead of shitty CW acting along with "it looks ok I guess" CGI.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And Preacher and iZombie are no less (non-Netflix!) comicbook shows because they don't even have superheroes or costumes in them.

Incidentally, while i's difficult to find hard data on this, Daredevil seems to have had a much larger budget than shows like The Flash or Arrow. And it shows. Special effects aren't everything.
    And fiming the DC series on the cheap in Vancouver helps a lot.

I'd argue that both preacher and izombie are FAR more fantastical in their presentation, even with non flashy effects than the marvel netflix shows. Again, with marvel they seem to be going out of their way to keep a lid on the spark of life that pervades their universe.

What is the POINT of having a marvel show, if the show runners and creators seem to want to do all in their power to tamp down on what separates their shows from a standard procedural? We... or at least I want them to break out of that mold. The entire effing POINT of why I prefer sci fi and fantasy is that they are FAR less constrained by standard reality. It expands the stories that can be told, and the marvel netflix shows are doing the least possible they could, both in how they are told and in what stories they decide to even BOTHER telling.

daredevil
    JJ
    luke cage
    iron fist (could be the exception if we get a great mystical origin story)
    punisher

look at the non netflix marvel stuff

agents of shield with ghost rider and inhumans swarming around
    legion with ultra powerful mutant as the prime focus

Even that playstation show POWERS is less tepid than marvel! Now THOSE are some cheesy looking effects, but at least they are not shooting for the dirt instead of the stars.

Incredible Member

Which street level Marvel character that they have the rights for that the movies have no plan for do you want to see show up on Netflix that have "fancy" high SFX powers?

Id rather have top class acting and SFX that looks good instead of shitty CW acting along with "it looks ok I guess" CGI.
    You are in the minority if you think the flash looks terrible and is uncompelling. I don't know what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3Wmyy8pPw

not compelling?

k, go watch csi 9000 because that is the effects level of many of the marvel shows, you clearly don't give a damn about the kinds of things that make comics and sci fi stand out. Why even bother with them at all? This sort of giving up, this focus on the least fantastical corners of the universe... if this is what you all are sated with... again, I don't know what to say.

But netflix does not deserve the kind of success a show like game of thrones has, because they seem far too insecure and unwilling to take risks on higher fantasy and sci fi.

They are in the best position of all to offer the premium television experience and the kinds of shows that could best take advantage of their superior streaming. Even the tick on amazon and the alternate history of the man in high castle comes across as more otherworldly than the marvel netflix shows. I feel like I am surrounded by muggle tastes. The kind of people who chose soldier in mass effect over an adept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    You are in the minority if you think the flash looks terrible and is uncompelling. I don't know what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3Wmyy8pPw

not compelling?

k, go watch csi 9000 because that is the effects level of many of the marvel shows, you clearly don't give a damn about the kinds of things that make comics and sci fi stand out. Why even bother with them at all? This sort of giving up, this focus on the least fantastical corners of the universe... if this is what you all are sated with... again, I don't know what to say.

But netflix does not deserve the kind of success a show like game of thrones has, because they seem far too insecure and unwilling to take risks on higher fantasy and sci fi.

They are in the best position of all to offer the premium television experience and the kinds of shows that could best take advantage of their superior streaming. Even the tick on amazon and the alternate history of the man in high castle comes across as more otherworldly than the marvel netflix shows. I feel like I am surrounded by muggle tastes. The kind of people who chose soldier in mass effect over an adept.
    Answer the question homeslice...

Netflix knows what it is doing
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Answer the question homeslice...

They could do the runaways on netflix. They could expand on inhumans with a spin off show that focused on some far off corner that had peoples powers unlocked with the release of the terrigen mist in the fish oil. Those are two off the top of my head. They could spin off ghost rider as a standalone show in a year, they could make up a character that fit in their universe that tapped into magical powers, but some of that is already contained in the runaways characters.