Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Netflix knows what it is doing
    I'm sure they do. I don't doubt that plenty of people will pile on watching fuller house. But I think it's time people stop pretending that netflix is some holy grail for fantasy and sci fi, because their bigger bets are usually not in that vein.

sense 8 was not really sci fi heavy, and the closest thing I can think of that has a chance of being a bit more focused there is black mirror, but we won't see longer engaging story arcs, that is designed to be more one off type outer limits style episodes to look at technology.

For sci fi lovers and fantasy lovers, netflix is NOT a prime location. It's just not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    They could do the runaways on netflix.
    Hulu picked up the Runways

They could expand on inhumans with a spin off show that focused on some far off corner that had peoples powers unlocked with the release of the terrigen mist in the fish oil. Those are two off the top of my head.
    Majority of Inhumans are off limits and you'd run into the same problems as AOS--no mention of the royal family.

They could spin off ghost rider as a standalone show in a year, they could make up a character that fit in their universe that tapped into magical powers, but some of that is already contained in the runaways characters.
    Ghost Rider could very well become a spin off, but Marvel got the rights back for it after the Defenders slate was scheduled.

They could do the runaways on netflix. They could expand on inhumans with a spin off show that focused on some far off corner that had peoples powers unlocked with the release of the terrigen mist in the fish oil. Those are two off the top of my head. They could spin off ghost rider as a standalone show in a year, they could make up a character that fit in their universe that tapped into magical powers, but some of that is already contained in the runaways characters.
    Those aren't street level.

Runaways is already taken, and at one point there were movies plans so who knows if that was even a possibly when Netflix first got involved.

Inhumans has movie plans. And is already been done on AoS with not the greatest results because you can't use the Royal Family, which is there hook.

Ghost Rider is on AoS now as well and may very well be a possibility in the future. But the Ghost Rider rights reverted like a few months before the Netflix deal was announced if I remember correctly. He may not have been apart of the negotiations at the time this deal was actually done.

So, once again... street level characters Marvel actually has access do and don't have future plans already with fancy powers you want on Netflix?

If you are criticizing them, you should have a laundry list ready to go that fit this criteria.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Those aren't street level.

Runaways is already taken, and at one point there were movies plans so who knows if that was even a possibly when Netflix first got involved.

Inhumans has movie plans. And is already been done on AoS with not the greatest results because you can't use the Royal Family, which is there hook.

Ghost Rider is on AoS now as well and may very well be a possibility in the future. But the Ghost Rider rights reverted like a few months before the Netflix deal was announced if I remember correctly. He may not have been apart of the negotiations at the time this deal was actually done.

So, once again... street level characters Marvel actually has access do and don't have future plans already with fancy powers you want on Netflix?

If you are criticizing them, you should have a laundry list ready to go that fit this criteria.

I don't want to constrain television to street level, that is the Point !!!!!!!!!!

the expanse is not a street level show, nor is game of thrones

a live action xmen with the budget of a game of thrones would be infinitely preferable to xmen movies covering the same ground. I get they do not have the rights to them on television, but they have other properties with near infinite capacity to tap into. Inhumans can literally be as varied as the xmen, and since marvel has openly abandoned the xmen they can cut the pretense and prop up other properties they can tap into.

Incredible Member

You know not of what you write. The producers of Flash/Supergirl would kill to have Daredevil's budget. Ditto for Dark Matter and Killjoys, I would bet. Netflix isn't afraid to spend money.

Netflix also just had a little show called Stranger Things which you might have heard of. Monsters and psychics and other dimensions.
    There's also Sense8, but honestly I have no interest in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Flash show looks retarded and corny as hell. Ditto for super girl
    Supergirl does suck but The Flash is easily the best comic book television adaptation ever and has consistently solid, near-feature film quality special effects.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I honestly don't see a problem here, as you yourself said op, there are plenty of other TV shows (and might I add movies) that do focus on Superpowered heroes. There is nothing at all wrong with Netflix focusing on street-level heroes. I really don't see the point of complaining you aren't getting something from a particular source when so many other sources are giving you what you want.

Also I would like to add neither Flash or Supergirl suck. And neither do the Netflix Marvel shows. They are just aimed at different parts of the same audience. :P
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    The Daredevil and Luke Cage comics they're pulling from are pretty fucking visual and flashy. The genres they're playing in are pretty visual and flashy. Daredevil's powers are actually super visual and flashy, they just don't even kind of try doing that in the Netflix show.

Hell, just look at that page.

The Flash show looks pretty good.
    But this is not a Luke Cage comic from 2016. A Cage comic in 2016 would look more like the Netflix show. Think Alex Maleev or David Aja/Steve Epting.

I don't want to constrain television to street level, that is the Point !!!!!!!!!!

Netflix presumably wanted an Avengers-like universe construction for their OTT platform with Daredevil used as their Iron-Man. What other properties would you suggest that wouldn't interfere with their movie properties during the timeline the Netflix universe was outlined?

BANNED

This should rub EVERYONE on this forum the wrong way. You all are not here talking about the latest CSI, reading the latest standard novel about a historical figure. This is a COMIC forum. And last I checked, there is a wide open universe out there beyond mundane low powered comics.
    You have an extremely narrow vision about what comics are and can be.

BANNED

I'd argue that both preacher and izombie are FAR more fantastical in their presentation, even with non flashy effects than the marvel netflix shows. Again, with marvel they seem to be going out of their way to keep a lid on the spark of life that pervades their universe.
    The Netflix shows have a lot more spark of life than most other comicbook shows.

What is the POINT of having a marvel show, if the show runners and creators seem to want to do all in their power to tamp down on what separates their shows from a standard procedural? We... or at least I want them to break out of that mold. The entire effing POINT of why I prefer sci fi and fantasy is that they are FAR less constrained by standard reality. It expands the stories that can be told, and the marvel netflix shows are doing the least possible they could, both in how they are told and in what stories they decide to even BOTHER telling.
    The point is the characters and the story.
    And if you do not like crime stories, then perhaps Daredevil and such are not your thing. This is your issue, not Netflix's.

daredevil
    JJ
    luke cage
    iron fist (could be the exception if we get a great mystical origin story)
    punisher

look at the non netflix marvel stuff

agents of shield with ghost rider and inhumans swarming around
    legion with ultra powerful mutant as the prime focus
    I have looked. I have judged.
    Nothing in the tv realm comes close to the Netflix series in terms of quality.
    And I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding Legion's power level.

Even that playstation show POWERS is less tepid than marvel! Now THOSE are some cheesy looking effects, but at least they are not shooting for the dirt instead of the stars.
    There are many words to describe the Netflix shows. "Tepid" isn't one of them.

HAving huge special effects does't make a tv series better or worse. It's just your personal preference and nothing else.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You have an extremely narrow vision about what comics are and can be.
    ^ This 1000% I mean comics are more then just people in silly costumes with powers. Just like any other medium they can contain a vast array of genres. Superhero, Scifi, Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Comedy, Mystery, Crime/Noir, Slice of Life, Horror, Western, all-ages, etc.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

a live action xmen with the budget of a game of thrones would be infinitely preferable to xmen movies covering the same ground. I get they do not have the rights to them on television, but they have other properties with near infinite capacity to tap into. Inhumans can literally be as varied as the xmen, and since marvel has openly abandoned the xmen they can cut the pretense and prop up other properties they can tap into.
    Once again, waiting for heroes that netflux coukd use to fit ur narrow definition that are not being used elsewhere

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Supergirl does suck but The Flash is easily the best comic book television adaptation ever and has consistently solid, near-feature film quality special effects.
    I groaned so hard at the captain cokd/heat dude vs flash "fight" i yhink i have a hernia

Maybe it got better since s1, lost me there

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I honestly don't see a problem here, as you yourself said op, there are plenty of other TV shows (and might I add movies) that do focus on Superpowered heroes. There is nothing at all wrong with Netflix focusing on street-level heroes. I really don't see the point of complaining you aren't getting something from a particular source when so many other sources are giving you what you want.

Also I would like to add neither Flash or Supergirl suck. And neither do the Netflix Marvel shows. They are just aimed at different parts of the same audience. :P
    I've seen cost estimates for daredevil of around 3-3.5 million average cost per episode. Not sure if that's accurate. I have also read somewhere that the flash was around 3 million per episode, which seems low but maybe that is what they get. If anything it makes you wonder how the flash is able to do so much more for the same or less money. It's still more money per season since the flash has around DOUBLE the shows, but still.

To your point about other shows still being made. I agree in part, other channels and companies ARE being more expansive in the types of stuff they bankroll. I am biased though. It's an unreasonable wish, but I want most of the stuff I like watching bankrolled by netflix, because then and apparently ONLY then will it be released in higher quality and instantly sans commercials and dvr skipping.

We won't get the flash in 4k, let alone something down the road like HDR on broadcast tv. direct tv has a smattering of 4k broadcasts, but it's live sports and pay per view movies. NOT the bread and butter stuff people want to watch... TV series !!!!!

The MAIN thing you'd WANT to see in GLORIOUS 4k, with HDR (and the tv versions of special effects spectacles) are NOT usually shown on netflix because THEY are not releasing THOSE kinds of shows, the other channels are. And that is why I have to watch the expanse in 720p broadcast. Or wait a day and direct download a 1080p episode for 2-3 dollars... or wait and torrent, not that I would ever do the latter, I LOVE commercials.

This is why I gave the dolby theater example, I am in the Los Angeles area, and there are only THREE theaters in the area that have laser projection that I know of. The chinese theater in hollywood (which I hate getting to, and if you are not close you are so far back it may as well be on a small screen), and two amc theaters that have their amc prime theater rooms retrofitted with laser projection, better recliner seats, and better sound.

Whenever I go see a movie I REALLY want to see, the latest star wars, star trek, captain america civil war, doctor strange, I pay EXTRA money to go to that theater to see the movie in the best possible light. I would never pay the extra money for that theater to see an adam sandler movie, or even a potentially good movie that was less of a spectacle.

And most of tv is delivered via low rent theater quality projection. If other networks started releasing their shows in higher quality streaming options, I'd be happier and less bothered by netflix not picking up the slack. But who knows how long that's going to take.