Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I'm happy for you guys but there's nothing for me this time.
    I feel the same way.

America getting a book is cool. But Deadpool the Duck.... Seriously?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This has been underwhelming from the comics part
    We need better comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Yup. Nothing newsworthy really. They've already announced most of their upcoming events, and they can't very well announce another relaunch while the current one's still underway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    the biggest thing to some people is they announced an america chavez ongoing series but without a creative team attached to it

that's a worthless announcement at this point

Yeah this was a very poor showing for anything comic related. Announcing a book that doesn't have a creative team is kind of dumb. They mostly just reiterated stuff we already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I feel the same way.

America getting a book is cool. But Deadpool the Duck.... Seriously?
    Thank you God for Image Comics.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I kind of feel the same way but I'm all fairness it is hard to announce new books when they are just now starting their new line of books for an event that they are not even able to talk about to much because it got delayed into December. Kind of put themselves into a corner with that one.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Has there been any direct answer from Marvel as to why there are NO X-Men Marvel NOW titles? Or Fantastic Four? Are they still denying the lack of comics/movie rights connection?

Not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it sure seems like we've been duped.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think the most logical answer they'd give is that the books they have are continuing uninterrupted. Marvel NOW isn't a relaunch of everything and not every line gets a Marvel NOW book (same with Daredevil for example and I think Captain America, but I could be wrong). The line regarding the X-Books for awhile has been that they want each book to contribute something unique and different rather than be two versions of the same thing, which is why you have only the books you have now.

Now is that 100% true? I doubt it. I think the sentiment is 100% right - please don't make X-Books just for the sake of having another X-Book (and they don't sell nearly well enough to justify just slapping X on everything). That being said, there's absolutely room for a "school" style X-Book. The closest you get is All-New X-Men, but they're a road trip book. I also think there's room for a more whimsical book (maybe an Excalibur book since I believe there's a Captain Britain anniversary this year). I'm also shocked there isn't an Iceman solo book, which fits Marvel's goals perfectly. So I would hope they'd at least consider some Marvel NOW X-Book.

Fantastic Four, on the other hand, just don't sell well and they're too important to be a small niche book. Given that, I think Marvel thinks it's better for them to wait for awhile (and hope a return could build up publicity). Do the movie rights factor in? I'm sure they do a little bit. At a minimum, Marvel would hope that a successful Marvel movie would spur interest in the characters for a new book.

ETA: A few more thoughts. First, on Marvel NOW in general - it's also possible that IvX and ResurrXion will have big consequences and any announcement before then would have spoilers (I'm also pretty sure ResurrXion isn't until February or March). I can see holding off until then.

Second, on a Mutant Academy type book. I just said they need a book like that - and I think they do. The one concern I'd have is this: While I don't agree with Joe Quesada's approach in wiping out the mutants in M-Day, I think there's a fundamentally valid point that you can't just create new mutants as a crutch. There are too many forgotten mutants over the years who get created and abandoned in favor of new toys. A Mutant Academy type book works best with an all-new cast - newly discovered mutant kids who are coming to a school to learn about their powers. However, that just means, five years from now, they might be forgotten too as another group of mutant kids get used for a book. That's a cycle that I think is fundamentally problematic and I don't want to see it continued.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 10-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Did Priest get conscripted to come back to Marvel to work on some projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think the most logical answer they'd give is that the books they have are continuing uninterrupted. Marvel NOW isn't a relaunch of everything and not every line gets a Marvel NOW book (same with Daredevil for example and I think Captain America, but I could be wrong). The line regarding the X-Books for awhile has been that they want each book to contribute something unique and different rather than be two versions of the same thing, which is why you have only the books you have now.

Now is that 100% true? I doubt it. I think the sentiment is 100% right - please don't make X-Books just for the sake of having another X-Book (and they don't sell nearly well enough to justify just slapping X on everything). That being said, there's absolutely room for a "school" style X-Book. The closest you get is All-New X-Men, but they're a road trip book. I also think there's room for a more whimsical book (maybe an Excalibur book since I believe there's a Captain Britain anniversary this year). I'm also shocked there isn't an Iceman solo book, which fits Marvel's goals perfectly. So I would hope they'd at least consider some Marvel NOW X-Book.

Fantastic Four, on the other hand, just don't sell well and they're too important to be a small niche book. Given that, I think Marvel thinks it's better for them to wait for awhile (and hope a return could build up publicity). Do the movie rights factor in? I'm sure they do a little bit. At a minimum, Marvel would hope that a successful Marvel movie would spur interest in the characters for a new book.

ETA: A few more thoughts. First, on Marvel NOW in general - it's also possible that IvX and ResurrXion will have big consequences and any announcement before then would have spoilers (I'm also pretty sure ResurrXion isn't until February or March). I can see holding off until then.

Second, on a Mutant Academy type book. I just said they need a book like that - and I think they do. The one concern I'd have is this: While I don't agree with Joe Quesada's approach in wiping out the mutants in M-Day, I think there's a fundamentally valid point that you can't just create new mutants as a crutch. There are too many forgotten mutants over the years who get created and abandoned in favor of new toys. A Mutant Academy type book works best with an all-new cast - newly discovered mutant kids who are coming to a school to learn about their powers. However, that just means, five years from now, they might be forgotten too as another group of mutant kids get used for a book. That's a cycle that I think is fundamentally problematic and I don't want to see it continued.
    I was just wondering if there'd been any further announcements at NYCC about the X-Men. Also, the list of comics I saw (Marvel NOW 2016) includes 1 X-Men comic. Death of X. No Extraordinary. No Uncanny. No All-New. Nothing.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The old books are continuing same as before, it was announced soon after the initial announcement. Death of X is obviously a new book, but it's also a mini-series (same as IvX).