Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The highlight for me was Sebastian Fiumara's art in the 3rd story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I haven't read Abe, but I also haven't heard much good about Allie's writing in the series.
    Let me be the first to tell you that Allie's writing on Abe Sapien was excellent, and reads fantastically in the trades. I highly encourage you to go and pick up the series, and spend some time being drawn in to what was constructed there; that being an emotionally draining, somber ride through Abe's struggle to understand and accept what he is and what he is becoming.

Okay, and let me be totally honest here: nothing you wrote addressed the criticisms of Allie's writing.

I'm sure at some point I'll read it out of being a completist. I am not compelled to do that, and nothing you wrote has swayed me at all. *shrug*

Fantastic Member

Ah well, I'm sure you'll come around when this nebulous time in the future when the completionist in you forces you to break with the resistance you're feeling arrives. I think the main criticism of Abe Sapien under Allie was that Strobl wasn't that compelling as a villain and that, excepting a few issues, the slow burn of the series meant that reading it issue by issue was pretty tiresome; something which is sadly becoming more and more of a problem in comics as a whole. It honestly reads better in the trades, but even I'll admit that its maybe 15 issues of story stretched over 30. Ultimately I'm glad they cut it short.

I'm just saying, convince me it's actually good! Or don't, it's cool either way.

All-New Member

Hello all,

I have not made my mind up yet about the Hellboy Winter Special 2017, but as for Lobster Johnson: Garden of Bones, I found it a bit of a filler to be honest.
    The art is fine and I have no complaints about that and the story is not bad either (though I was a bit confused about where the resolution came from at first), but I personally just didn't find it very memorable.
    There is nothing wrong with single story issues with no real impact on longer running arcs, heh this universe is build on them, but some are strong and some are not.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

I'm fine with how the Winter Special read. I never expect much out of these one shots, but I thought the art was engaging throughout, and the stories were tidy little moments. My real only complaint is that I'm already beginning to tire of Roberson's characters' constant referencing of past events. I really liked it at first, but it's starting to remind me of that annoying friend who can't stop name-dropping at every given opportunity.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I just want to know when the next Hellboy LE will be out
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It'll be Hellboy in Hell, and I'm sure they're giving it some room from the individual HCs and SCs they've released.

I agree that the Winter Special was just alright. I liked the art in the first and third stories, but Grist just doesn't do anything for me, way to cartoony for this Universe. I am now not looking forward to the Visitor series.

My main aim as a reader is keeping an open mind. But this may mean I'll only read some stuff once I'm feeling 'ready' for it. (Like Abe I still need to read).

I find that any and every Hellverse title can add something, albeit in different ways, with even variating creative names working on it, or otherwise my expectations would be at fault.
    I can only applaud how the amount of different titles have been allowing for a steady publication schedule, with employing such diversity, obviously more than only one creator-owner could muster?! (By which I mean that I love how mr Mike Mignola has been about sharing his thing so much yet so dedicatedly all the same).

I'm postponing (harsher) judgements until I have at least read (the still upcoming) "The Visitor" both as "Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea", since those I look forward to the most.
    Then again, any looking forward of mine shouldn't mean over-expectation necessarily, so yeah.

I do see some titles get sollicited as a fun thing on the side, or either something *big*. Eventhough as said any title can add fundamental stuff if they do.
    I'm not about to write Roberson or Grist off yet, not when the bigger stuff hasn't even been published yet.

Plus I'm not allowing my expectations to turn anything sour, I'm real strict with myself that way.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I agree that the Winter Special was just alright. I liked the art in the first and third stories, but Grist just doesn't do anything for me, way to cartoony for this Universe. I am now not looking forward to the Visitor series.
    I think you should give it a chance. This was a fun little story about punching a possessed Santa Clause. It wasn't that serious to start with.

I wasn't really into Corben Hellboy until I saw how he drew The Crooked Man and that turned it around for me. So, give it a chance, it might surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I think you should give it a chance. This was a fun little story about punching a possessed Santa Clause. It wasn't that serious to start with.

I wasn't really into Corben Hellboy until I saw how he drew The Crooked Man and that turned it around for me. So, give it a chance, it might surprise you.
    Well, I've ordered it, so i'll read it. It might be a fun story I enjoy, but I find that style of art off-putting for this. I remember when Marc Hempel drew some important later Sandman issues. Now Marc Hempel is a fine creator, but I found his artwork so incongruous to the whole feel of Sandman that those issues just fell flat for me. I imaging I will see the Visitor the same with Grist. It just doesn't work for me.

On the other hand I love Corben and love his Hellboy work.

There is an eBay auction for the Tonci Zonjic original art cover of this issue with all proceeds going to charity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/162386395475