Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Default Death of X #1 Spoilers/Review. Again, SPOILERS.

This is a real review. I got the book early because I work in a comic book store, and I just finished it.

I'm on my phone, and don't know how to use the spoiler stuff, so I'll give you a chance to avoid spoilers if you want to read it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Okay, if you're still here, then you either 1) don't care or 2) also work in a CB store, lol.

Anyways...

SPOILERS GALORE, YO.

1) Yup, Madrox is dead, and the double page spread we see him in... is ghastly, to say the least.

2) The art is pretty damn good, especially the colors.

3) Hydra makes an appearance, because "Hail Hydra.".

4) There's no animosity between Cyke, Bobby, and Beast, so I'm assuming everyone is on, at least, decent terms following the "Hickman Kills Everyone" event.

5) Only the Inhumans see any action here, while it's all discovery for the Mutants/X-Men.

6) You can see why Magik would join Storm, because, for some reason, she doesn't see the mist/cloud as the Inhumans' fault. Weird.

7) The issue is designed to purposely show the very drastically different points of views both sides have when it comes to the cloud/mist. People who said that the previews made the Inhumans come off as creepy, or off, are right. There is an unsettling, yet subtle, arrogance that Crystal displays in her dialogue that, honestly, makes it hard to sympathize with the Inhuman side at all. The Inhuman kids come off as ignorant of the gravity of the situation, as the Royal family likes it (we saw them hide the fact that the mist killed Inferno's mother). Doesn’t help that the X-Men parts are generally colored darker, compared to the bright, and vibrant, In human parts. No offense to any religious people, but the Inhumans really come off as people blinded by faith here. Seeing their smiles, after seeing Madrox's painful, and horrific, death scene, was just...ugh.

8) While I think most of us could already surmise, this issue makes it clear that Cyke will die via the mist/cloud.

Overall, I'd give it an 7-7.5/10, because nothing really happened, and the ending dialogue for the X-Men side felt rushed. Cyke goes from saying that they need to be 100% sure before taking any action, to declaring war, and then Magik come off as being difficult for the sake of it. Her questioning Cyke blaming the Inhumans made NO SENSE. Of course it's the Inhumans' fault.

So yeah, if the point was to show both sides as equal (dat grey area), or show Cyke as being rash, then Marvel failed hard at that. However, taking it as it is, it was a good first issue.

Cool, can't wait to read it.

The Magik part sounds interesting and I'm happy everybody seems to be a happy X-family again.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

If someone at Marvel decides to bring back Jamie and say it was a dead dupe, I'd be totally fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    If someone at Marvel decides to bring back Jamie and say it was a dead dupe, I'd be totally fine with that.
    I don't think that'll be the case. However, they could always bring in a dupe (one that had its own life), and say he's the "new" Madrox.

BANNED

Too bad they didn't get Layla instead. I'd be just fine if that plot device died by Terrigen cloud.

BANNED

Why Jamie? Huhuhu.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I don't think that'll be the case. However, they could always bring in a dupe (one that had its own life), and say he's the "new" Madrox.
    Wait didn't Jamie die from the Legacy Virus...then we found out it was one of his dupes.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Wait didn't Jamie die from the Legacy Virus...then we found out it was one of his dupes.
    Jamie admits to being the original as calls out to Cyclops, for help as he dies.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    That wasn't even the first time they pulled that stunt with a dupe dying during that run, lol.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    Yep. They could always do this. But I don't think they will. Marvel is just sticking it to the mutants lately and I don't know why. They used to be Marvel's bread and butter. Now they're just kicking them to the curb.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just had a chance to read this and I am super ticked. Madrox was one of my favorite mutants. Freaking Marvel.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    7) The issue is designed to purposely show the very drastically different points of views both sides have when it comes to the cloud/mist. People who said that the previews made the Inhumans come off as creepy, or off, are right. There is an unsettling, yet subtle, arrogance that Crystal displays in her dialogue that, honestly, makes it hard to sympathize with the Inhuman side at all. The Inhuman kids come off as ignorant of the gravity of the situation, as the Royal family likes it (we saw them hide the fact that the mist killed Inferno's mother). Doesn’t help that the X-Men parts are generally colored darker, compared to the bright, and vibrant, In human parts. No offense to any religious people, but the Inhumans really come off as people blinded by faith here. Seeing their smiles, after seeing Madrox's painful, and horrific, death scene, was just...ugh.
    So does DoX imply that most Inhumans are ignorant of the fact that the T-Mist transformation can kill non-powered humans as well as mutants? Because, for me, that goes a long way toward explaining how the Inhumans are supposed to be viewed at all sympathetically.

The marvel comics app releases their comics at midnight digitally so you don't need to work at a comic book store to buy it at this hour.

I'm still digesting the issue but it felt really clunky to me, I don't know. Maybe since it's a flashback I'm having a hard time getting back to that mindset.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

This issue was meh.

The big revelation was the Terrigen mist hurting the mutants. May be in five year when new readers would want to read this book and IvX it may be interresting. But now, it is something we know since at least a year.

And an "original" Madrox death because it is nothing new did not affect me at all.

Not going to read the rest. Not because I hate what is happening to the mutants, but because I have wasted five dollars in a glorified recap page.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Not going to read the rest. Not because I hate what is happening to the mutants, but because I have wasted five dollars in a glorified recap page.
    Yeah, this is sounding more and more like trade-bait.

Any worthwhile cameos out of the first issue?