Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Weak Links of the Rebirth?

hi everyone. i thought i would start this thread to get your OPs on what you think are the weak links of the rebirth so far and what you think they need to improve.

let me start by saying that i am a huge fan of rebirth. i have made it a point to give every book a try, and i think for the most part, rebirth is a really fantastic success. many strong starts and returns, and the stories all feel like they are written from the heart.

but it would be silly to say that they are all super strong. there are some books that need help bc there always will be. hoping we can use this space to bring up the weak links we are seeing and say what we think could make them better.

for me, i think the weak links are these:

green lanterns: love this concept, love baz and jessica. but after today, i have realized that they are always doing very domestic stories. today was a trick-or-treat issue, and it was very boring. i know the potential is here, but this writer must stop giving us green lantern scenes in baz's kitchen. plus points for the e.t./stranger things reference though

aquaman: this art is just very standard. the world-building is very strong, and the writer uses tula a lot...plus makes efforts to create a whole world for arthur. but the art is not as ambitious as the writing and it's dragging both down. i don't like to criticize artists too much...i actually think this artist is great, just not a great fit for this particular book

cyborg: i was very excited by this book, and there are many good ideas here. promising start for victor. but this writer needs a very very strong editor and i don't think that is the case here. the dialogue is so long and boring. there is amazing ideas in there if you can chop out about 1/3 of the words on the page. otherwise, the book is off to a great start.

what would you guys add to this list?

I'm mostly pretty happy with all the books I'm reading, I guess the only ones that I tried and dropped were the Green Lantern books which just wasn't really what I wanted(after GL Lost Army and Omega Men I wanted to see more John and Kyle, kinda don't really care about Hal anymore and Baz and Jessica just don't interest me that much, and the Batgirl books which while a better mix of the previous two runs, still just didn't work for me as much as the Gail Simone New 52 run.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I'd have to disagree, both Aquaman & Green Lanterns have been great so far!

I would have to agree there are no true weak links yet. I'll wait another 7-8 months and see where we are with the various titles come next summer before I decide.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Disagree with all of your picks.

Justice League is definitely one of the weakest links in rebirth, followed by Batgirl
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

justice league is definitely one to add on this list. i like bryan hitch lots but this JL is so boring. the story is fine but it's nothing amazing. the best thing that's happened in this book is flash and jessica cruz have gone on a date.

i also think birds of prey is off to a shakey start. in contrast with batgirl, it doesn't handle the women very well. barbara looks too much like an obnoxious child and huntress is like an angry old mother dealing with her and canary. hoping to see a change for the better after the first arc is finished

JUSTICE LEAGUE already dropped it.DONE DITTO.needs new writer and artist.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Action Comics is real, real bad.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    but it would be silly to say that they are all super strong. there are some books that need help bc there always will be. hoping we can use this space to bring up the weak links we are seeing and say what we think could make them better.

for me, i think the weak links are these:

green lanterns: love this concept, love baz and jessica. but after today, i have realized that they are always doing very domestic stories. today was a trick-or-treat issue, and it was very boring. i know the potential is here, but this writer must stop giving us green lantern scenes in baz's kitchen. plus points for the e.t./stranger things reference though

aquaman: this art is just very standard. the world-building is very strong, and the writer uses tula a lot...plus makes efforts to create a whole world for arthur. but the art is not as ambitious as the writing and it's dragging both down. i don't like to criticize artists too much...i actually think this artist is great, just not a great fit for this particular book
    I strongly disagree. I am loving Aquaman. It's one of my top books for Rebirth so far. I also really like Green Lanterns. Jess Cruz is an amazing, fresh character. They're building up toward less domestic things. You just need to give it time. Plus, they fought the Dominators and interacted with he Guardian of the Universe. The end of the last issue showed that the Phantom Lantern is coming. So, a great book (to me) looks like it'll get even better.

In terms of Aquaman, I disagree about the art but everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    The fact that Green Lanterns slowed down for a few issues is what making it a really good book, for more than 10 years running all we had was grand battles from GL in space back to back, it's very refreshing to see a down point along with a build up to the next battle.
    Couldn't agree more. They don't have to be fighting aliens in space all the time to have a good series.

I had been trying to read everything that interested me when I started reading Rebirth. I even tried Superman/Action Comics, even though I don't care for him at all.

Now, I've dropped Superman/Action for that reason. Harley Quinn hasn't impressed so I dropped that. Suicide Squad has been...okay. I like that they brought in Zod so I'll continue with it. But there's nothing I could genuinely call a weak link.
    Last edited by JJ!; 10-06-2016 at 05:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Gotta disagree with Aquaman, I enjoy it. I wouldn't call it the best of the titles I'm reading but it's definitely solid.

Justice League didn't catch my interest so I'd nominate that. And while I'm buying the Flash, it isn't great. Most people reviewing it on here are calling it lackluster, and I'd have to agree. It should be one of DC's flagship titles and it's not really compelling. It's just good enough but if it weren't for certain hints at the immediate future (and I weren't desperately hoping for a revival of the Flash family post-Rebirth) I might consider dropping it.

Oh, also dropped Action real quick and am completely satisfied with Superman. I was hoping for Lex using the shield to be a new engaging arc that questioned whether Superman could be replaced and how Lex would approach that angle for diminishing Superman, but instead it turned into a big Doomsday fight that I heard kept dragging. Not interested.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 10-06-2016 at 05:34 AM.