Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Weak Links of the Rebirth?

hi everyone. i thought i would start this thread to get your OPs on what you think are the weak links of the rebirth so far and what you think they need to improve.

let me start by saying that i am a huge fan of rebirth. i have made it a point to give every book a try, and i think for the most part, rebirth is a really fantastic success. many strong starts and returns, and the stories all feel like they are written from the heart.

but it would be silly to say that they are all super strong. there are some books that need help bc there always will be. hoping we can use this space to bring up the weak links we are seeing and say what we think could make them better.

for me, i think the weak links are these:

green lanterns: love this concept, love baz and jessica. but after today, i have realized that they are always doing very domestic stories. today was a trick-or-treat issue, and it was very boring. i know the potential is here, but this writer must stop giving us green lantern scenes in baz's kitchen. plus points for the e.t./stranger things reference though

aquaman: this art is just very standard. the world-building is very strong, and the writer uses tula a lot...plus makes efforts to create a whole world for arthur. but the art is not as ambitious as the writing and it's dragging both down. i don't like to criticize artists too much...i actually think this artist is great, just not a great fit for this particular book

cyborg: i was very excited by this book, and there are many good ideas here. promising start for victor. but this writer needs a very very strong editor and i don't think that is the case here. the dialogue is so long and boring. there is amazing ideas in there if you can chop out about 1/3 of the words on the page. otherwise, the book is off to a great start.

what would you guys add to this list?

I'm mostly pretty happy with all the books I'm reading, I guess the only ones that I tried and dropped were the Green Lantern books which just wasn't really what I wanted(after GL Lost Army and Omega Men I wanted to see more John and Kyle, kinda don't really care about Hal anymore and Baz and Jessica just don't interest me that much, and the Batgirl books which while a better mix of the previous two runs, still just didn't work for me as much as the Gail Simone New 52 run.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I'd have to disagree, both Aquaman & Green Lanterns have been great so far!

I would have to agree there are no true weak links yet. I'll wait another 7-8 months and see where we are with the various titles come next summer before I decide.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Disagree with all of your picks.

Justice League is definitely one of the weakest links in rebirth, followed by Batgirl
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

justice league is definitely one to add on this list. i like bryan hitch lots but this JL is so boring. the story is fine but it's nothing amazing. the best thing that's happened in this book is flash and jessica cruz have gone on a date.

i also think birds of prey is off to a shakey start. in contrast with batgirl, it doesn't handle the women very well. barbara looks too much like an obnoxious child and huntress is like an angry old mother dealing with her and canary. hoping to see a change for the better after the first arc is finished

JUSTICE LEAGUE already dropped it.DONE DITTO.needs new writer and artist.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Action Comics is real, real bad.
    Buh-bye

I don't mind GLs, its not bad its just different. I do think we need another GL book though, something to highlight Guy, Kyle, and John.

As for my weak links:

Justice League is definitely a weak link, sorry Bryan. I get what he's going for, he's just not very good at it.

Batgirl and Birds of Prey both seem to be lacking as far as focus/direction goes, but maybe they have their fans.

Action Comics is pretty mediocre.

I found myself dropping Justice League, Green Lanterns, Action Comics, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Suicide Squad very early. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is very clunky to read, but I'll give it a few more issues.

Amazing Member

Green arrow and Justice League.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I like all of the books I've tried so far enough to stick with them long term.

My weak links are:

Titans: This would be a really great book and I'm loving the story but Booth's art is just dragging it down. I loved his art on Nightwing but this is really a step down from that. Panel layouts are poorly constructed and his same face issue is really bad here. He's also having a lot of durpey faces. Not really sure how long Abnett's story will keep me around if the art doesn't majorly improve soon. This one is on the chopping block.

Detective Comics: I love the premise and the characters involved but the writing leaves something to be desired. This would be a really great book to me if Tynion spent as much time on his plotting, which is a weakness of his work, as he does with his character work, which is a strength of his work. As it is there is very little substance to it and I need more than good character work to keep onboard a title. I dropped this one at issue 4 though I did read the entire first arc just to see if things improved.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 10-05-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I've been reading about 90% of Rebirth (not following Suicide Squad or Harley stuff, not getting Cyborg and maybe 2-3 others) and the ones I've dropped have been Justice League (just boring), Blue Beetle (dialogue is so grating and formulaic - start to finish just constant bickering between Jaime and Ted), Red Hood and the Outlaws (when I noticed Lobdell was still writing it), and New Super-Man (fine, just not worth it after three issues).

I don't understand why so many are anti-Green Lanterns. I'd rank it right in the middle of the 25 or so Rebirth titles I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don't understand why so many are anti-Green Lanterns. I'd rank it right in the middle of the 25 or so Rebirth titles I'm getting.
    not anti. not at all. i think green lanterns has some giant promise in rebirth. and simon baz and jessica are both incredible characters. very strong additions to this esteem mythos.

but you have to admit they spend too much time doing domestic things and sitting around baz's kitchen. or shopping in the grocery, or in this issue it's trick-or-treating. my only request is that they get a little more serious. they are green lanterns and in the justice league. stop acting like they are on a sitcom or an episode of friends

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I've been reading about 90% of Rebirth (not following Suicide Squad or Harley stuff, not getting Cyborg and maybe 2-3 others) and the ones I've dropped have been Justice League (just boring), Blue Beetle (dialogue is so grating and formulaic - start to finish just constant bickering between Jaime and Ted), Red Hood and the Outlaws (when I noticed Lobdell was still writing it), and New Super-Man (fine, just not worth it after three issues).

I don't think people are anti Green Lanterns, they just don't like that while Simon and Jess are in GLs and JL, the other 3 earth lanterns have to split time with Hal and the entire corps.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I like al! of the books I've tried so far enough to stick with them long term.

My weak links are:

Titans: This would be a really great book and I'm loving the story but Booth's art is just dragging it down. I loved his art on Nightwing but this is really a step down from that. Panel layouts are poorly constructed and his same face issue is really bad here. He's also having a lot of durpey faces. Not really sure how long Abnett's story will keep me around if the art doesn't majorly improve soon. This one is on the chopping block.

Detective Comics: I love the premise and the characters involved but the writing leaves something to be desired. This would be a really great book to me if Tynion spent as much time on his plotting, which is a weakness of his work, as he does with his character work, which is a strength of his work. As it is there is very little substance to it and I need more than good character work to keep onboard a title. I dropped this one at issue 4 though I did read the entire first arc just to see if things improved.
    Good god yes Titans. Booth is just not a good fit for this.

And while I adore 'Tec, its largely due to the character work, and the longer it goes on the more the plot issues bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    not anti. not at all. i think green lanterns has some giant promise in rebirth. and simon baz and jessica are both incredible characters. very strong additions to this esteem mythos.

but you have to admit they spend too much time doing domestic things and sitting around baz's kitchen. or shopping in the grocery, or in this issue it's trick-or-treating. my only request is that they get a little more serious. they are green lanterns and in the justice league. stop acting like they are on a sitcom or an episode of friends
    The fact that Green Lanterns slowed down for a few issues is what making it a really good book, for more than 10 years running all we had was grand battles from GL in space back to back, it's very refreshing to see a down point along with a build up to the next battle.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52