Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I dropped Flash and Aquaman because while I really like the associated creators, the pieces just didn't come close enough together for me. I particularly find Williamson, Abnett, and Walker more inspired elsewhere.

Action Comics is a pretty average book that looks worse when you consider how strong the other titles in the franchise are holding. I really find the art bland, too; the only book aside from Flash and Titans that I don't dig on that front.

Strangely, I'm the opposite with JL as I have really enjoyed the first few issues. I didn't get the Rebirth special but I will get the latest issue some time today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    The fact that Green Lanterns slowed down for a few issues is what making it a really good book, for more than 10 years running all we had was grand battles from GL in space back to back, it's very refreshing to see a down point along with a build up to the next battle.
    a few issues?? respectfully disagree. they've spent the majority of their 9 issue series exploring mundane settings. even the first arc was going to investigate some old farmer's house. that's not a break, that's a pattern.

i'm all for breaks but a break in this book would be having these characters do something important.

Astonishing Member

Justice League was pretty eh of an opening story. It's all pretty clear the threat on Earth was meant to signal bad things are occurring in the cosmos but it was hardly necessary length wise and could've been shown in a one shot or two issue story.

Blue Beetle started pretty weak which is a shame because it feels like they're building up to something big but so far doesn't really have a big pull.

Same as JLA.

Books I have dropped
    Batgirl
    Batgirl and Birds of Prey
    Superwoman
    Suicide Squad
    Hal Jordan Green Lantern
    The Flash (although I think it's well written the story didn't grab me at all)
    Batman
    Detective
    Nightwing
    Green Arrow
    Batman Beyond
    Blue Beetle
    Wonder Woman
    All Star Batman
    Teen Titans
    Titans

Justice League is getting better with every issue, I thought this weeks was great.

This means I'm getting Action, Superman, Trinity, Supergirl, Justice League, New Super-Man, Hellblazer, Cyborg, Deathstroke, Aquaman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Green Lanterns, Harley Quinn, Shade the Changing Girl, Frostbite, Everafter. This is a HUGE up tic for me. Before Rebirth I was getting Superman Lois and Clark....

I'd call Rebirth an resounding success.
    Last edited by Tony; 10-05-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    a few issues?? respectfully disagree. they've spent the majority of their 9 issue series exploring mundane settings. even the first arc was going to investigate some old farmer's house. that's not a break, that's a pattern.

i'm all for breaks but a break in this book would be having these characters do something important.
    Hmmm. All while dealing with protecting Earth having just repelled (seemingly) the Red Lanterns infecting the world with Rage. Mundane in a way but they're still protecting the planet on a global scale.

It just happens to also be keeping the two Lanterns grounded by showing their ties to Earth and what they're fighting for essentially.

I haven't read today's issue yet (it's out today isn't it?) but the previous issue was the only one that really seemed like a breather issue so far.

yes, i think that's it. important things are going on in the green lanterns book, but it's important things happening to them. not them doing important things.

hope that makes sense

yes, i think that's it. important things are going on in the green lanterns book, but it's important things happening to them. not them doing important things.

hope that makes sense
    They've just repelled the Red Lanterns and now they're dealing with yet another guardian problem along with Dominators how is that not an important thing?
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

BANNED

Green Lanterns is a very poorly done book. The art is very inconsistent, the writing is uninspired, and it hasn't endeared me to its leads. Jessica Cruz is a one note character that has nothing to offer aside from her mental illness, and that gets old really fast.

DC has really taken Cyborg in the wrong direction, and I question the value of that character as a solo feature.

BANNED

Justice League is generic fast food, I have no idea why they got Hitch to write their flagship title during their big relaunch. He's so mediocre and it's such a confusing decision.

Birds of Prey has some of the worst art I've seen in a while. Batgirl looks like a hagfish, Huntress looks like the Wicked Witch of the West, so bad.

Wonder Woman, while not actually bad in any way, is hard to enjoy because Greg Rucka is such an unpleasant person.

The Batman books are great but suffer from the presence of Duke Thomas, who is awful and drags down everything he appears in by 1 quality point.

Green Arrow has pretty hokey writing and comes off as awkward a lot.

The big issue with Rebirth overall is that many of their books start out average and get progressively better over time, which could be driving away readers who want a great issue right from the start. So pacing problems, I guess.

Of the books that I have been reading, the weakest link to me has been, Suicide Squad. I still am enjoying the book. It just feels like it's moving horribly slow.

of the OP's three picks, I have to disagree with Aquaman. It's been a real good comic. Definitely no where near the bottom of my list.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I find I am reading far more DC books than I have on a very long time. Currently reading Action, Aquaman, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Batman, Blue Beetle, Cyborg, Detective, Deathstroke, Gotham Academy, Green Arrow, Justice League, Nightwing, Raven, Superman, Supergirl, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans & Wonder Woman.
    Out of all those I'm most dissatisfied with Cyborg & Justice League. JL being the biggest disappointment. Hitch is a serviceable writer, but this is the Justice League...the League should never be servicable.

BANNED

If I have to be honest, of the Rebirth books I am reading, so far the biggest dud for me has actually been Titans.
    Titans Hunt was great, if slow, and it along with the Rebirth Special put the Titans in a place where they looked to be taking on something huge with a writer that knew what he was doing. Post-Rebirth, I keep getting thrown out of the story when the cast constantly use their real names in the field, the rather akward sense of it now being a 90'ties sitcom, Booths art, and to top it all off... getting lulled to sleep over what I consider to be a rather boring villain.

Plus Donna is still broken and I dont really like Roy as the joker of the group.

but it would be silly to say that they are all super strong. there are some books that need help bc there always will be. hoping we can use this space to bring up the weak links we are seeing and say what we think could make them better.

for me, i think the weak links are these:

green lanterns: love this concept, love baz and jessica. but after today, i have realized that they are always doing very domestic stories. today was a trick-or-treat issue, and it was very boring. i know the potential is here, but this writer must stop giving us green lantern scenes in baz's kitchen. plus points for the e.t./stranger things reference though

aquaman: this art is just very standard. the world-building is very strong, and the writer uses tula a lot...plus makes efforts to create a whole world for arthur. but the art is not as ambitious as the writing and it's dragging both down. i don't like to criticize artists too much...i actually think this artist is great, just not a great fit for this particular book
    I strongly disagree. I am loving Aquaman. It's one of my top books for Rebirth so far. I also really like Green Lanterns. Jess Cruz is an amazing, fresh character. They're building up toward less domestic things. You just need to give it time. Plus, they fought the Dominators and interacted with he Guardian of the Universe. The end of the last issue showed that the Phantom Lantern is coming. So, a great book (to me) looks like it'll get even better.

In terms of Aquaman, I disagree about the art but everyone has the right to their own opinion.

The fact that Green Lanterns slowed down for a few issues is what making it a really good book, for more than 10 years running all we had was grand battles from GL in space back to back, it's very refreshing to see a down point along with a build up to the next battle.
    Couldn't agree more. They don't have to be fighting aliens in space all the time to have a good series.

I had been trying to read everything that interested me when I started reading Rebirth. I even tried Superman/Action Comics, even though I don't care for him at all.

Now, I've dropped Superman/Action for that reason. Harley Quinn hasn't impressed so I dropped that. Suicide Squad has been...okay. I like that they brought in Zod so I'll continue with it. But there's nothing I could genuinely call a weak link.
    Last edited by JJ!; 10-06-2016 at 05:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Gotta disagree with Aquaman, I enjoy it. I wouldn't call it the best of the titles I'm reading but it's definitely solid.

Justice League didn't catch my interest so I'd nominate that. And while I'm buying the Flash, it isn't great. Most people reviewing it on here are calling it lackluster, and I'd have to agree. It should be one of DC's flagship titles and it's not really compelling. It's just good enough but if it weren't for certain hints at the immediate future (and I weren't desperately hoping for a revival of the Flash family post-Rebirth) I might consider dropping it.

Oh, also dropped Action real quick and am completely satisfied with Superman. I was hoping for Lex using the shield to be a new engaging arc that questioned whether Superman could be replaced and how Lex would approach that angle for diminishing Superman, but instead it turned into a big Doomsday fight that I heard kept dragging. Not interested.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 10-06-2016 at 05:34 AM.

BANNED

not anti. not at all. i think green lanterns has some giant promise in rebirth. and simon baz and jessica are both incredible characters. very strong additions to this esteem mythos.

but you have to admit they spend too much time doing domestic things and sitting around baz's kitchen. or shopping in the grocery, or in this issue it's trick-or-treating. my only request is that they get a little more serious. they are green lanterns and in the justice league. stop acting like they are on a sitcom or an episode of friends
    Yeah, I would have to say I'm enjoying reading about characters with lives and feelings for a change, rather than just powers with arms and legs.