Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Da Boat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    French America
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Your Top Ten Favorite Horror Movies

    Now that it's the time of the year and people are watching horror flicks left and right, let's do something about our very favorite ones. It could be anything that frightened you at some point. If the witch in Wizard of Oz gave you the willies, you can put the movie in there. It can be about anything - monsters, possession, natural disasters, haunted houses, possessed dolls, serial killers, etc...

    My Ten:

    1. Jaws
    2. An American Werewolf in London
    3. Carrie
    4. Seven
    5. The Wolfman(1941)
    6. Scream
    7. Friday the 13th, part 4: The Final Chapter
    8. Q
    9. Fright Night
    10. The Reflecting Skin

    Deserving mentions: The Howling, The Descent, Bug(1975)

  2. #2
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    1) Psycho (1960)
    2) Alien (1979)
    3) The Shining (1980)
    4) The Thing (1982)
    5) The Exorcist (1973)
    6) The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    7) The Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    8) Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    9) Frankenstein (1931)
    10) Let the Right One In (2008)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Guess I'd go with...

    The Evil Dead
    Creepshow
    Ichi the Killer
    Prince of Darkness
    Carrie
    Shogun's Sadism
    Dawn of the Dead
    Halloween
    Jaws
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Ravenous
    House (1977)
    The Evil Dead 2
    Rodan
    Bay of Blood
    Dead Ringers
    Cemetery Man
    Flesh for Frankenstein
    Silent Night, Deadly Night

    Why Let the Right One In over so many other Vampire movies?

  4. #4
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,323

    Default

    Alien
    The Shining
    Carrie
    Night of the Living Dead
    Pet Sematary
    Dracula (1931)
    Frankenstein (1931)
    The Exorcist
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Fly (1958)

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    Jaws
    The Shining
    The Exorcist
    The Thing (1982)
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Day of the Dead (1985)
    Pumpkinhead
    Evil Dead II
    Creep Show

  6. #6
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Why Let the Right One In over so many other Vampire movies?
    Because it's impressive? However, if I had to pick a more traditional vampire flick (it could have easily made my list, BTW), it would be Horror of Dracula.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  7. #7
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,845

    Default

    It was hard to limit my list to just ten, so I came up with 15 (in alphabetical order):

    An American Werewolf in London
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Carrie (1976)
    Dracula (1931)
    Frankenstein (1931)
    Halloween (1978)
    Ju-on
    Let The Right One In
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Ringu
    Salem's Lot (1979)
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Exorcist
    The Night Stalker
    The Wolfman (2010)
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-06-2016 at 05:24 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  8. #8
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Because it's impressive? However, if I had to pick a more traditional vampire flick (it could have easily made my list, BTW), it would be Horror of Dracula.
    I also liked LTROI. What did you think of the U.S. remake, Let Me In?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Because it's impressive? However, if I had to pick a more traditional vampire flick (it could have easily made my list, BTW), it would be Horror of Dracula.
    Didn't really find it all that impressive, just seemed like a pretentious version of Twilight. Would say What We Do in the Shadows, Thirst, Byzantium, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, and Yakuza Apocalypse we're all better recent vampire movies. It doesn't exactly do anything particularly interesting, it's a pretty plan coming of age/love story, it isn't exactly scary, and while not bad looking at all it's also not really exceptional looking. I don't know, just seemed like a below average vampire love story.

  10. #10
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Didn't really find it all that impressive, just seemed like a pretentious version of Twilight. Would say What We Do in the Shadows, Thirst, Byzantium, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, and Yakuza Apocalypse we're all better recent vampire movies. It doesn't exactly do anything particularly interesting, it's a pretty plan coming of age/love story, it isn't exactly scary, and while not bad looking at all it's also not really exceptional looking. I don't know, just seemed like a below average vampire love story.
    I think it's quite different than the Twilight films (which I'm not crazy about at all), but to each his own.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  11. #11
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I also liked LTROI. What did you think of the U.S. remake, Let Me In?
    I actually haven't seen it yet, WPP. I will make a note to do so, though.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  12. #12
    Mighty Member Da Boat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    French America
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Didn't really find it all that impressive, just seemed like a pretentious version of Twilight. Would say What We Do in the Shadows, Thirst, Byzantium, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, and Yakuza Apocalypse we're all better recent vampire movies. It doesn't exactly do anything particularly interesting, it's a pretty plan coming of age/love story, it isn't exactly scary, and while not bad looking at all it's also not really exceptional looking. I don't know, just seemed like a below average vampire love story.
    It feels more Indy and European in his approach than Twilight, though. Much more realistic.

    Byzantium is great.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    It feels more Indy and European in his approach than Twilight, though. Much more realistic.

    Byzantium is great.
    Yeah, I mean, it is a better movie than Twilight, but it's also playing the same stupid vampire love story game. I'd just rather watch a number of other vampire movies if that's what I wanted than the dreary self-serous pretentious realism of Let the Right One In. I think the most frustrating thing about LtROI is that there is interesting stuff that's there, (and the director clearly knows how to shoot nice shots) but the movie never really does anything interesting, it just feels like it's playing it safe, like it's too reserved to be interesting.

    I also just got really bored with the shots of the building with the snow: Oh, look at these stark lifeless boring buildings and landscapes, isn't it all so stark and terrible, isn't it all so horrifying? After a while it just felt like a joke, like it took it to a point of parody.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member Da Boat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    French America
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Yeah, I mean, it is a better movie than Twilight, but it's also playing the same stupid vampire love story game. I'd just rather watch a number of other vampire movies if that's what I wanted than the dreary self-serous pretentious realism of Let the Right One In. I think the most frustrating thing about LtROI is that there is interesting stuff that's there, (and the director clearly knows how to shoot nice shots) but the movie never really does anything interesting, it just feels like it's playing it safe, like it's too reserved to be interesting.

    I also just got really bored with the shots of the building with the snow: Oh, look at these stark lifeless boring buildings and landscapes, isn't it all so stark and terrible, isn't it all so horrifying? After a while it just felt like a joke, like it took it to a point of parody.
    WTF, snow is scary dude, trust me. I've seen it up close.

    I get what you're saying about LTROI, it felt like some artsy pretentious take on a monster genre. But at the same time you cannot just throw a dude under the bridge just cause he attempts something different with a monster genre. The slow paste was a way to make it more realistic and they showed the landscape to capture the time and place of this story. To me it felt really like the 70s, for example. There are also plenty of gore in it like when the "dad" fall out of the window or when he kills guys to suck their blood for his "daughter". In many ways, it's more like a serial killer flick.

    Where I see the flaws is that it felt limited, like maybe it should have been a short story(?). It had the potential for a great movie there but it was an undeveloped idea in many ways. The director concentrated too much on form but didn't go all way out to bring the viewer in and make it very scary. But I understand why some may love it cause it's a great idea.

  15. #15
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,880

    Default

    I'm not a fan of gore movies. But I do like horror movies that keep you on the edge of your seat or are great movies. I guess I don't like gore movies because I don't like blood. It creeps me out. But also, when I was a kid, I saw Friday the 13th at a friends home (he lived about 5 blocks away from my house) and it was at night. When the movie was over, I was so scared, I ran all the way home. I was probably 9 or 10.

    Anyhow, these are my top ten faves:
    -Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    -28 Days Later
    -28 Weeks Later (I'm still waiting for 28 months later)
    -Bram Stoker's Dracula
    -Alien (all of them)
    -Underworld (all of them)
    -The Ring
    -Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    -Halloween
    -Sleepy Hollow
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •