Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    It feels more Indy and European in his approach than Twilight, though. Much more realistic.
    That's what I loved about it - the realism. I know it's a bad word around these parts , but that aspect of it left its impression on me. Of course, the remainder of my list should show I love all types of horror and from all eras. As a child of the '70s, I grew up on the old Universal, Hammer, Val Lewton, and the rest of the classic stuff before the '70s horror renaissance. In fact, it's the only movie genre I would actively seek out in the TV Guide.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Amazing Member

1) Nosferatu (1922)
    2) King Kong (1933)
    3) Jaws (1975)
    4) Frankenstein (1931)
    5) The Thing (1982)
    6) Halloween (1978)
    7) Alien (1979)
    8) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    9) Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    10) Audition (1999)

BANNED

Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
    Alien
    The Thing (1982)
    The Fog
    The Exorcist
    The Shining
    An American Werewolf In London
    Twilight Zone: The Movie
    Poltergeist
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I believe an honorable mention to The Boondock Saints is in order. The sight of Willem Dafoe in drag is an image I'll carry to the grave.

Incredible Member

Halloween
    Fright Night
    King Kong
    Audition
    The Shining
    Trick R' Treat
    Evil Dead(Original)
    The Conjuring
    You're Next
    Alien

Have to throw in some honorable mentions because I could easily take out one of those for one of these.....The Fog, The Thing, and Friday the 13th: Jason Lives.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    WTF, snow is scary dude, trust me. I've seen it up close.

I get what you're saying about LTROI, it felt like some artsy pretentious take on a monster genre. But at the same time you cannot just throw a dude under the bridge just cause he attempts something different with a monster genre. The slow paste was a way to make it more realistic and they showed the landscape to capture the time and place of this story. To me it felt really like the 70s, for example. There are also plenty of gore in it like when the "dad" fall out of the window or when he kills guys to suck their blood for his "daughter". In many ways, it's more like a serial killer flick.

Where I see the flaws is that it felt limited, like maybe it should have been a short story(?). It had the potential for a great movie there but it was an undeveloped idea in many ways. The director concentrated too much on form but didn't go all way out to bring the viewer in and make it very scary. But I understand why some may love it cause it's a great idea.
    Only he didn't really attempt anything different. Its just another vampire love story, it's the same kind of Anne Ricey stuff that's been coming out since Interview with the Vampire. Just how not different it is in a big picture kind of way, The Twilight movies were happening as Let the Right One In came out, it is different than that movie in that it's target audience isn't teen and preteen girls, it isn't really different in the whole boy meets girl (boy) way and they still find love despite one of them being a inhuman monster. You bring up that it plays like a serial killer movie. I almost be brought it up in my last post. You ever see Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer? That's a serial killing movie aiming at realism, it's also one with a love story in it. But in that horror movie, how does the love between the two end there? It ends with one of them going off alone, and one of them in a box on the side of the road. Let the Right One In ends with one of them in a box too, but it's meant to be this happy ending where they're in love and together.

I didn't really get a '70s vibe off it at all, it didn't really feel anything like any '70s movies I can think of vampire or otherwise.

Didn't say anything about there not being much in the way of violence, did say it about The Shallows in the other thread, but not this.

1.) The Thing
    2.) House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    3.) Deep Red
    4.) The Shining
    5.) Alien
    6.) Session 9
    7.) Jaws
    8.) Kwaidan
    9.) The Innocents
    10.) The Black Cat (1934)

BANNED

Anyone who doesn't list the original Dawn of the Dead deserves a swift e-kick to the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Only he didn't really attempt anything different. Its just another vampire love story, it's the same kind of Anne Ricey stuff that's been coming out since Interview with the Vampire. Just how not different it is in a big picture kind of way, The Twilight movies were happening as Let the Right One In came out, it is different than that movie in that it's target audience isn't teen and preteen girls, it isn't really different in the whole boy meets girl (boy) way and they still find love despite one of them being a inhuman monster. You bring up that it plays like a serial killer movie. I almost be brought it up in my last post. You ever see Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer? That's a serial killing movie aiming at realism, it's also one with a love story in it. But in that horror movie, how does the love between the two end there? It ends with one of them going off alone, and one of them in a box on the side of the road. Let the Right One In ends with one of them in a box too, but it's meant to be this happy ending where they're in love and together.

I didn't really get a '70s vibe off it at all, it didn't really feel anything like any '70s movies I can think of vampire or otherwise.

Didn't say anything about there not being much in the way of violence, did say it about The Shallows in the other thread, but not this.
    Again the love between a person and a vampire doesn't make it Twilight. It certainly pretty different here. It's well done and realistic and not tacky. And not every serial killer movies have to be like Henry. Henry was an extreme case of being one the most downbeat, down to Earth Serial Killer movie ever made. The way the "father" was doing his killings was great, I thought. It was out of a serial killer flick.

Also when I talked about the 70s, it's not so much movies of the 70s, but how people were in the 70s.

Anyway it's a moot point, there's no account for people's tastes. If it's among TDD's favorite horror movies, it's his choice.

Altough I love horror and B movies my top 10 includes a lot of horror comedy and sci-fi horror.
    here it is, no order:

evil dead
    evil dead 2
    army of darkness
    bad taste
    braindead
    the thing (Carpenter version)
    night of the living dead (Romero version)
    alien
    aliens
    El día de la bestia