Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Big Expectations for Netflix's Iron Fist?

After Netflix has 3 smash hit Marvel series. 3 critically acclaimed series. Luke Cage setting some viewing records this past weekend.

The pressure is on for Iron Fist. The upcoming series needs to be distinct and have a tone audiences will gravitate towards just like the previous 3 shows. The Bat has been set very high.

Thoughts? Will Iron Fist be another smash hit?

In the shadow of Luke Cage, Iron Fist better be relevant

Ad ice for Marvel? What should they do with Danny? What do we want to see?
    The J-man

I want to see good characters, real drama, and an unexpected take on the Iron Fist mythos that also feels like I'm seeing the character I love brought to screen.

But I don't expect it.

BANNED

I expect it to be better than Luke Cage, which was a pretty damn big letdown IMO.

It doesn't need to be "relevant." It just needs to be good.

Not every story exists to talk about deep ****. Some stories exist just to be good or fun.

DD didn't speak to ****. It was just dude with powers whoopin' ass. And people loved it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Jebus, that article is silly.

Making matters worse, Iron Fist is a product of Orientalist appropriation,
    All the Netflix Marvel heroes were created by white people. You cant single one out just because that's the current subject of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It doesn't need to be "relevant." It just needs to be good.

Not every story exists to talk about deep ****. Some stories exist just to be good or fun.

DD didn't speak to ****. It was just dude with powers whoopin' ass. And people loved it.
    Well, the first season of Daredevil's been written up about its commentary on gentrification (particularly, how developers take advantage of tragedy, or engineer their own, to buy land from the poor. Kingpin fits this to a T). So that's one. Jessica Jones with consent and feminism, and Luke Cage's unapologetic blackness, are discussed the same way.

I haven't seen much written about DD season 2 though, aside from PTSD and veteran care.

I'm also not saying Iron Fist needs to delve into a social topic like the other shows; Agents of SHIELD definitely doesn't. But so far the Netflix shows seem to be on par for course. Most superhero shows don't delve into social topics, but those who are fans of superhero shows but also have a vested interest in social topics tend to appreciate the Netflix Marvel shows quite a bit. They're not perfect, but they promote discussion the same way as, say, Law & Order: SVU or classic Star Trek.

If Iron Fist is good without delving into all that, then it's good, nothing wrong with that. But in particular for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, the critical feedback seems to be that they're good *because* they delve into those topics and adopt them narratively. It's also how Jon Bernthal got such rave reviews for being a captivating Frank Castle.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-06-2016 at 08:56 AM.

I feel that Iron Fist certainly has the expectation of a Netflix Marvel show. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, from what I can gather, all have garnered a lot of acclaim. Though they have their pockets of criticism here and there, these shows have set the bar high which would be daunting for Iron Fist.

Compound that with the fact that Iron Fist faces criticisms of cultural appropriation, Orientalism, and a white savior trope, and yeah, Danny has a huge mountain to climb. That makes me sad. As an Asian-American Iron Fist fan, all of this negativity surrounding the show for the past year or so has been pretty disheartening. Indeed, I'm truly dreading what Nymag, The Atlantic, NPR, Vox, and other websites will say when the first episode comes out. In a way, I feel partially responsible for all of this Iron Fist hate. For many years, I had been championing that Marvel highlight the East Asian corner of its universe, and, in the same vein as Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra, use elements of East Asian culture, religion, and philosophy in new and creative ways. As someone who majored in East Asian Studies and who felt jealous that Japanese culture, with its ninjas, samurai, and anime, was highlighted in Western pop culture for many years, I so, SO appreciated that the Iron Fist comic showed a huge audience that Chinese culture was cool.

Over these past several months though, I've learned that somehow when a white person uses Asian culture or proves themselves better than Asians in Asian things, it's wrong. And that I should be offended. And indeed, having researched cultural appropriation this and white savior trope that, I now feel a tinge of disdain whenever I look at what was once one of my favorite comic book characters. And that makes me sad. And a little angry.

HOWEVER, I still think the Iron Fist series could work. I do hope that potential viewers of the show can put aside their accusations of implicit colonial condescension of non-white people (which is a valid point that should be addressed), and see what fans have always seen in Iron Fist: a cool, heroic character who has saved countless lives, bridged gaps between racial lines for well over 40 years, and always been respectful of East Asian culture and people (which Jesse Watters of FOX News REALLY DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO BE. Seriously, you want to know REAL racism and discrimination against Asians? Jesse Watters' "report" is it.) I hope potential viewers get to learn that Danny is just the latest in the legacy of the Iron Fist, which for much of its history, has been composed of East Asians. We know that that Danny wasn't the first:

and he won't be the last:

So yeah, I think the latest Iron Fist show has a lot going for it. It's good story, characters, and background are all it needs to rank as a top Netflix Marvel show. Still, I think it is addressing aspects of Asian representation by including Colleen Wing. Something tells me she'll get a lot of attention out of all of this, which is a good thing. Additionally, I hope that other Asian characters, like Shang-Chi, do get a chance to shine in the show. And while I may support a white Danny Rand, I also support having more Asian-Americans in prominent, leading roles. (Yes, I can be both of these things, my fellow posters. The two are not mutually exclusive).

Whew. Sorry for ranting there everyone. In any case, looking forward to Iron Fist next March!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 10-08-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I've enjoyed every Netflix marvel series so far, so if they keep on that trend I'm cool.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

It is a shame Iron Fist is getting tagged with this "cultural appropriation" stigma. He's become his own person since then. Regardless of the culture involved, it used to make sense for white writers to use white characters as an entree for the white audience. There was an interest in other cultures and it's a shame they wouldn't have been as receptive to a non-white hero, but those were the times. (hell, they're still the times, just not as prevalent) I'm of the mind that things have opened up since then,(as "Immortal Iron Fist" did in broadening the legacy of IF) but you don't have to go backwards and rewrite things like Danny and his story.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    I expect it to be better than Luke Cage, which was a pretty damn big letdown IMO.
    This. IF will be so much better.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Iron Fist teaser. This is going to be awesome!

BANNED

That trailer is pretty fucking sweet

Also just announced that Sigourney Weaver is joining the Defenders series.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think DD brought a lot of interesting "deep" stuff. Like the whole thing about the different views of what would be saving Hells Kitchen(it was kinda political at some point,lol) and the DD vs Punisher moral dilemma about justice and fighting crime.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    I expect it to be better than Luke Cage.
    That wouldn't be difficult :P I enjoyed the trailer for Iron Fist with more emotion than most of Luke Cage.

Incredible Member

Bride of nine spiders?