Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I love Batwoman. I love Bennett. I love Tynion. This is THE BEST NEWS.

Bombshells is fantastic and Steve Epting doing art duties too, just come on.

And the fact that Tynion has an involvement suggests one thing to me, that DC are making a real effort with Kate and plan on using her as a more active member of the Bat Family going forward, not just someone on the outside looking in.

Ultimate Member

Tynion is portraying her pretty well in Detective Comics. Bombshells has been great, and Steve Epting's art is great to. Why shouldn't I give this a try?

I can take or leave Batwoman and Bennett's writing.

I'm always debated picking up Batwoman's series. I love Epting, and this sounds promising. I really want her and Midnighter to become friends as well. I hope she makes an appearance in Midnighter & Apollo as well.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

don't understand the hatred for bennett.... it seems very misplaced and vicious to me. i loved her work on bombshells, though i can't really speak for her work on angela @ marvel.

steve epting is a guaranteed purchase for me no matter what. very glad that dc is giving batwoman her own solo

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I'm not thrilled by her writing (I gave Bombshells a try) but the real turn off for me is her as a person. She's made some pretty negative statements, including once comparing people who don't identify as feminists to anti-suffragists about a month ago. I'm not even exaggerating.

Edit:
    Attachment 40581
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, people are allowed to have thier own views/opinions even if they are different from yours. If the writing for the book is good it should'nt matter if you agree with her socio-political beliefs.

Overall I would say Benett has a solid grasp on how to write DC characters. Her work on Bombshells is solid, so she should have no trouble writing Batwoman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It's not about different beliefs, it's about tolerance. Something Bennett needs to work on. Attacking people just for disagreeing with you is not okay.
    The problem is that there's a few different types of feminists. There's the equality based ones, which is the main part of the movement. Then there's the radicals, which are a very small (but sometimes the most vocal) part. It's the radicals that cause a backlash and the anti-feminist movement. Even that is divided into two camps. There's what could be normal people that equate the radicals with the regulars and do believe in equality, and the true misogynists (which includes women) which may be what she was reacting to.

Think about some of the posters here that complain about the roles of women in comic books. You can easily label some of them as sexists, and some of them as equality based feminists. I've got Showcase Presents Batgirl Vol 1, and the earlier stuff was very cringeworthy. In the 70s when she became a congresswoman things got better for her for the most part. If they come out with a Volume 2, that would probably include her solo stories from the late 70s/early 80s which weren't extremely memorable, but she was holding her own just fine.

Steve Epting? Wow! I'm sold

Batwoman is one of my favorites at DC and I'm glad to hear that she's getting a solo book.

Love Eptings art so that's big bonus for me too.

Never read anything by Bennett but my daughter loves the Bombshells book so I'm open to seeing what she does.

As long as it still has lesbian vampires I'll be happy. ( I actually liked when the book was pretty much a horror comic. Sue me! )
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    don't understand the hatred for bennett.... it seems very misplaced and vicious to me. i loved her work on bombshells, though i can't really speak for her work on angela @ marvel.
    Oh, she's the one who wrote Angela? Well, that settles that. I'll be skipping this book.

was it really that bad? i find that hard to believe after reading bombshells recently

Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    The problem is that there's a few different types of feminists. There's the equality based ones, which is the main part of the movement. Then there's the radicals, which are a very small (but sometimes the most vocal) part. It's the radicals that cause a backlash and the anti-feminist movement. Even that is divided into two camps. There's what could be normal people that equate the radicals with the regulars and do believe in equality, and the true misogynists (which includes women) which may be what she was reacting to.

Think about some of the posters here that complain about the roles of women in comic books. You can easily label some of them as sexists, and some of them as equality based feminists. I've got Showcase Presents Batgirl Vol 1, and the earlier stuff was very cringeworthy. In the 70s when she became a congresswoman things got better for her for the most part. If they come out with a Volume 2, that would probably include her solo stories from the late 70s/early 80s which weren't extremely memorable, but she was holding her own just fine.
    Right, but to be honest I don't think I've ever met a person who felt the need to go out of their way to state "I am not a feminist" who wasn't at least a little sexist, since I'm pretty sure the most basic definition of feminism is still simply wishing for equal treatment of women.

Also, saying something like "I'm not a feminist but I like your writing" just on its surface seems kind of messed up.
    For example, I'm one of the libbiest libs to ever have libbed, but I would never start a conversation with EVS or Chuck Dixon with "I'm not a conservative, but I love your writing".
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 10-06-2016 at 09:51 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    I have one question: Who is going to lead the team when she leaves for her own series?
    I hope this is more Rucka/Blackman/Williams/Tynion-esque, and less Andreyko. Epting seems an odd choice, but he’s a very high profile name, and very consistent, I think. I’m mostly worried, I think, about how this will affect Tec, since I love Kate in that book. But hopefully DC will be like, “Well, Batman has two books, why not Batwoman?”

I should also say that I’m a bit disappointed in the choice of writer. While I like that Tynion will be able to continue the stellar work he’s doing in Tec by co-writing, Bennett has written exactly one issue of comics I liked (the promo comic in cereal boxes for Batman v Superman), and dozens and dozens of comics I do not enjoy (Bombshells, the fill-ins for Batman, Angela). She’s definitely talented, but I wish they’d given Kate to Simone, or Rucka, or Liu, or Higgins instead.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I hope this is more Rucka/Blackman/Williams/Tynion-esque, and less Andreyko. Epting seems an odd choice, but he’s a very high profile name, and very consistent, I think. I’m mostly worried, I think, about how this will affect Tec, since I love Kate in that book. But hopefully DC will be like, “Well, Batman has two books, why not Batwoman?”

I should also say that I’m a bit disappointed in the choice of writer. While I like that Tynion will be able to continue the stellar work he’s doing in Tec by co-writing, Bennett has written exactly one issue of comics I liked (the promo comic in cereal boxes for Batman v Superman), and dozens and dozens of comics I do not enjoy (Bombshells, the fill-ins for Batman, Angela). She’s definitely talented, but I wish they’d given Kate to Simone, or Rucka, or Liu, or Higgins instead.
    Kate is still going to be in 'Tec, according to Tynion.

I can kinda understand the complaints about Bennett being preachy, and that would absolutely be the wrong tone for Kate because she's never been that kind of character. But jumping to conclusions on the very day of the announcement isn't a very wise decision.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-06-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    was it really that bad? i find that hard to believe after reading bombshells recently
    Not at all. It just had a lot of jokes about MRAs and man babies couldn't handle it.

Happy to hear this. Great team, great character.