View Poll Results: Who are your favorite Furies? (MULTIPLE CHOICE)

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artemiz

4 6.35%
  • Bernadeth

10 15.87%
  • Big Barda

41 65.08%
  • Bloody Mary

7 11.11%
  • Gilotina

15 23.81%
  • Knockout

12 19.05%
  • Lashina

38 60.32%
  • Mad Harriet

14 22.22%
  • Malice Vundabar

6 9.52%
  • Speed Queen

5 7.94%
  • Stompa

12 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hell Hath No Furies: Female Furies Appreciation

I don't normally do appreciation threads, but this group of bad girls needs more lovin'! Some topics to think about:

Who's your favorite Fury?

What's your favorite story featuring the Female Furies?

What would you like DC to do in the future with the Furies?

LOVE the Furies. Barda's my hands down favorite but Lashina is a close second. I can't think of a favorite story offhand but Lashina's run with the Suicide Squad was awesome. An ongoing Furies series would be a must-buy for me.

I loved them. I quite liked Karl Kesel's use of the new Furies in Hawk & Dove. But probably Ostrander used them best for me in the pages of Suicide Squad.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

They're pretty cool. I always wanted to read the story where they split from Granny Goodness.

Gilotina is my favorite design, but Big Barda and Knockout are the most developed members from what I've read of them.

Lashina is getting her own Lego!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I LOVE BARDA!!

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Barda but Gilotina and Lashina are my other two faves. We need a storyline where the best of the best Amazons (Cassandra, Donna, Artemis, etc) face the tio Furies in an arena battle. Would be nice if we got a whole issue long battle haha.

The Female Furies played a decent role in today's Darkseid Oversize Special. Not a fan of Stompa's look in it, though.

BANNED

Barda and Knockout are definitely my favorites. Honestly couldn't care less about the others, but those two are amazing.

One of the main draws for me with the Female Furies are that, besides Lashina, none of them are particularly sexualized. Which is pretty amazing especially for a group of female villains. Bernadeth is an old crone, Stompa is usually depicted as obese or extremely muscular (or a mixture of the two), and Mad Harriet is... Mad Harriet. Although of course, sometimes you get them drawn like this:

BANNED

Lashina and Barda.

I would like to see them at one point acting on their own, or with the shadow of Darkseid so vague you dont know it's him pulling their strings... like they find themselves stranded somewhere with no way home or any way to make contact.

Regarding their appearances... I have to say I am a bit against them all being overly ugly, because to me that's just playing into the very oldest kind of differentiation: that you can tell the bad guy from the good simply by which one is ugly, and that's just boring. Fair enough they get different body-types, and they should... the live in an industrial nightmare lorded over by a kind of nightmare god and they are his elite soldiers... so I would settle for them to look average, if thats possible in comics.

I’ve got this idea that the Female Furies are Goddesses of Torture.

Sharp: Mad Harriet
    Blunt: Stompa
    Choke: Lashina
    Drain: Bernadeth

And they’re still recruiting for Hot, Cold, Loud, and the psychological Torture that Barda used to be: I don’t have the word for it, but the Torture of being “reduced”... Barda diminishes your confidence, your esteem, your power. That’s flipped and reversed when she meets Scott, and becomes the Goddess of Confidence, and acts like a Blue Lantern Power Booster to everyone she’s grouped with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

And they’re still recruiting for Hot, Cold, Loud, and the psychological Torture that Barda used to be: I don’t have the word for it, but the Torture of being “reduced”... Barda diminishes your confidence, your esteem, your power. That’s flipped and reversed when she meets Scott, and becomes the Goddess of Confidence, and acts like a Blue Lantern Power Booster to everyone she’s grouped with.
    Would kinda equate them to how the Greeks imagined Ares and his posse. Like Granny is the major figure here and she's assisted by the Female Furies the same way Ares had Deimos, Phobos and Eris.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Regarding their appearances... I have to say I am a bit against them all being overly ugly, because to me that's just playing into the very oldest kind of differentiation: that you can tell the bad guy from the good simply by which one is ugly, and that's just boring. Fair enough they get different body-types, and they should... the live in an industrial nightmare lorded over by a kind of nightmare god and they are his elite soldiers... so I would settle for them to look average, if thats possible in comics.
    I wouldn't say any of them are particularly ugly (although of course, sometimes artist do depict them as hideous women). Bernadeth's just old, Stompa's just fat, and Mad Harriet's just... Mad Harriet. I guess Bernadeth occasionally looking young and Stompa occasionally looking thin could be attributed to them being goddesses, but it seems a bit out-of-character for both of them.

I'd love to see more stories featuring them as their own characters, though. I've always found it interesting that Bernadeth is the least loyal to Darkseid. It's clear she's completely out for her own interests while the other Furies seem fully devoted to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

I dig it!