View Poll Results: Who are your favorite Furies? (MULTIPLE CHOICE)

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artemiz

4 6.35%
  • Bernadeth

10 15.87%
  • Big Barda

41 65.08%
  • Bloody Mary

7 11.11%
  • Gilotina

15 23.81%
  • Knockout

12 19.05%
  • Lashina

38 60.32%
  • Mad Harriet

14 22.22%
  • Malice Vundabar

6 9.52%
  • Speed Queen

5 7.94%
  • Stompa

12 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thanks, Nyssane!

The profiles were helpful and I never saw the Supergirl fight before. That really showed just how powerful the Furies are truly.

Anyone read Mister Miracle #7 yet?

spoilers:
    While the Furies weren't given much to do, I *loved* this issue. The solicits made it seem like the Furies were out for Scott's blood, but they've paused their war with New Genesis while Barda gives birth to her and Scott's child. The Furies have had a love/hate relationship with Barda in the past, and I'm sure they still do, but it was nice seeing them as almost sisters (which is especially evident when Lashina bickers with Mad Harriet in the hilarious opening scene). It makes complete sense; Barda was a Fury for a *long* time and they've all experienced the barbarism that Granny Goodness puts her orphans through. It's interesting when Barda and Scott say they've been through a certain, specific torture with Granny that you know Lashina, Stompa, Mad Harriet, and Bernadeth were all tortured the same, too.

Anyways, I particularly loved Bernadeth letting Scott borrow the fahren-knife. Barda believes Bernadeth just wants to kill her with it, but it ends up saving Barda's baby's life. This has further implications that Bernadeth possibly went through something similar (with probably a less positive outcome). The Fahren-Knife also got some development; It was made from pieces of Darkseid which is powerful enough to kill gods. DeSaad gave it to Bernadeth at some point likely before she became a Fury. Powerful enough to kill gods yet she and her group are defeated by Steve Trevor/Lois Lane. Oye.
    end of spoilers

So yeah, love King's depiction of the Furies and hope to see them again. After their miserable appearances in both Superman and Wonder Woman, it's nice to see them not used just as fodder for significantly weaker enemies.

uh.. they have a following?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Why wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Anyone read Mister Miracle #7 yet?

spoilers:
    While the Furies weren't given much to do, I *loved* this issue. The solicits made it seem like the Furies were out for Scott's blood, but they've paused their war with New Genesis while Barda gives birth to her and Scott's child. The Furies have had a love/hate relationship with Barda in the past, and I'm sure they still do, but it was nice seeing them as almost sisters (which is especially evident when Lashina bickers with Mad Harriet in the hilarious opening scene). It makes complete sense; Barda was a Fury for a *long* time and they've all experienced the barbarism that Granny Goodness puts her orphans through. It's interesting when Barda and Scott say they've been through a certain, specific torture with Granny that you know Lashina, Stompa, Mad Harriet, and Bernadeth were all tortured the same, too.

Anyways, I particularly loved Bernadeth letting Scott borrow the fahren-knife. Barda believes Bernadeth just wants to kill her with it, but it ends up saving Barda's baby's life. This has further implications that Bernadeth possibly went through something similar (with probably a less positive outcome). The Fahren-Knife also got some development; It was made from pieces of Darkseid which is powerful enough to kill gods. DeSaad gave it to Bernadeth at some point likely before she became a Fury. Powerful enough to kill gods yet she and her group are defeated by Steve Trevor/Lois Lane. Oye.
    end of spoilers

So yeah, love King's depiction of the Furies and hope to see them again. After their miserable appearances in both Superman and Wonder Woman, it's nice to see them not used just as fodder for significantly weaker enemies.
    i loved how the Furies were portrayed in Mister Miracle. but then again i've loved everything about that book.

Bernadeth needs more love. Want to know more about Desaad and her childhood and family. I find her the most fascinating as she's always in it for herself, trying to make her standing better in an exploitative hellworld as best as she can without crossing Evil Incarnate himself, Darkseid. Loved her role in Mister Miracle. And even for a Fury, her whole look and shtick is incredibly unique. Her gaunt look is usually reserved for witchy characters (or Aunt May) in superhero comic books, so it's cool to have her be a fierce female warrior. And the Fahren-Knife is one of fiction's most disturbing and badass weapons IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    They have potential to become some of comics' most popular and ICONIC villainesses if Miss Ava DuVernay does right by them in the New Gods movie. Female Furies are definitely one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited and rooting for the project to see the light of day and be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Bernadeth needs more love. Want to know more about Desaad and her childhood and family. I find her the most fascinating as she's always in it for herself, trying to make her standing better in an exploitative hellworld as best as she can without crossing Evil Incarnate himself, Darkseid. Loved her role in Mister Miracle. And even for a Fury, her whole look and shtick is incredibly unique. Her gaunt look is usually reserved for witchy characters (or Aunt May) in superhero comic books, so it's cool to have her be a fierce female warrior. And the Fahren-Knife is one of fiction's most disturbing and badass weapons IMO.

(I think Justice League Action is literally the only DC Animation where Bernadeth has ever actually gotten to do anything).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

(I think Justice League Action is literally the only DC Animation where Bernadeth has ever actually gotten to do anything).
    The image you have posted above the smiley isn't working for me.

I was delighted with her not just being included in Action but being one of just two Furies aiding Granny for a whole episode. I'm surprised the DCAU and that Apocalypse movie completely excluded her or just drew her in the background. You'd think she'd be more fun to play with, especially being Desaad's sister and the politics involved for the position of Leader of the Furies.

Having said that, was not a fan of her Action design. She looked like a Spongebob character as opposed to her traditional swagger of juxtaposing her grim and gaunt look against her fierceness. Also imagined her movements to be more elegant and the Fahren-Knife to be more glowy like the Lasso of Truth (but with a reddish orange tinge to reflect Darkseid's eyes and lasers).
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-14-2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Hmm, the Justice League Action still is visible to me only in my post when I included it in my quote of your post. :p

The Furies are back in Wonder Woman #39! They don't really do much but Darkseid trusts them (and the Deep Six) more than the other members of his elite. I *really* hope they're able to get the artifacts he needs without much trouble from Steve and the Oddfellows, because really... what are they going to do against some of the deadliest warrior goddesses out there?

Also, first New 52/Rebirth appearance of Gilotina!
    I'm happy to see them again and I hope they are portrayed well. I really don't want them to job to anyone.

I also liked their fight with Wonder Woman and Big Barda from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Their battle against Treasure was a nice intro as well:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Shout out to Earth 2's Furies of the Apocalypse, based on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse concept.

I especially liked K'Li, the Tamaranean Fury who arrived on Apokolips in a wrecked vessel as a child and was the last of her kind in the Earth 2 universe (dubbed by Desaad as the Fury of War). Would love to have her turn up in the main universe, especially as I want to see more Tamaraneans used in general.

Would also be great to see Starfire's reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I don't know much about any of them.

For instance, are they super-strong? If so, to what level? What about old Granny? What can she do?
    I know I already replied to this, but DC's website had a great article on the Furies a few weeks ago which might also shed some light on each individual core member and where they fit in the group:

• Mad Harriet is the easiest Fury to pick out of a lineup, with her giant green hair and predilection towards nonsense rhyming. You won't be at all surprised to learn that she tends to be positioned as the Furies' "berserker"—what she lacks in overall size she makes up for in flat out reckless insanity.

• On the opposite end of the spectrum, Stompa is a woman of very few words. The most physically imposing of the lot and wearing bright orange, she's not exactly a subtle presence, but it's best to not read her silence as disengagement. She's one of the most deeply loyal Furies Granny was able to produce, and she's more than strong enough to go toe-to-toe with some of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe.

• Lashina wears a black bodysuit covered in white straps. Despite her incredibly quick temper (or maybe because of it) she's actually been named the official "leader" of the Furies more than once, though it's pretty unlikely that's where she stands in this particular story. She's conniving and power hungry, but prone to fall to infighting and backstabbing before she actually gets her way, much to the annoyance of her teammates.

• Finally, there's Bernadeth, arguably the most put together of the crew, especially here. Generally, Bernadeth is the de facto leader, or at least, the one with her head on straight enough to keep things (sort of) under control, which certainly comes across here. Interestingly enough, Bernadeth is also the sister of Desaad, one of Darkseid's most loyal minions. Cruelty is definitely genetic for this branch of the family tree.

Having said that, was not a fan of her Action design. She looked like a Spongebob character as opposed to her traditional swagger of juxtaposing her grim and gaunt look against her fierceness. Also imagined her movements to be more elegant and the Fahren-Knife to be more glowy like the Lasso of Truth (but with a reddish orange tinge to reflect Darkseid's eyes and lasers).
    I wasn't a huge fan of her look, either. But I did like that she was sort of an assassin, which the comics rarely portray her as. And it was nice to see her in it anyway since she rarely appears in any cartoons. Most shows/games/etc. just use the other three as they appeared in S:TAS.

They have potential to become some of comics' most popular and ICONIC villainesses if Miss Ava DuVernay does right by them in the New Gods movie. Female Furies are definitely one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited and rooting for the project to see the light of day and be epic.
    Do you have any dream castings for the Furies?

I wonder how they'll go about Big Barda's role in the film... will she be a villain and member of the Furies until the end? Or will she have already defected and be living with Mister Miracle? Either way, I'm excited!

Interestingly enough, Bernadeth is also the sister of Desaad, one of Darkseid's most loyal minions. Cruelty is definitely genetic for this branch of the family tree.
    Interestingly, it was said that Desaad was corrupted in his youth by Darkseid (assuming torture was a part of it as well), which was the reason he readily complied with Heggra's wish to kill Darkseid's beloved Suli, as a means of revenge against his tormentor and now "master". Both Desaad and Bernadeth have shown signs that they would betray Darkseid if given a low-risk opportunity with great benefits. This aspect of the siblings has always fascinated me. They are incredibly good at convincing Darkseid and Granny that they are steadfast loyal just like the other Apokoliptan minions, but they are navigating through the power hierarchy with their own selfish ambitions to guide them and the fear of their tyrant to ground them. It also gives Bernadeth a political acumen, and being the sister of Desaad, maybe a sense of security, that her Fury sisters cannot have.

It's for these reasons that I want to know more about their childhood and family. I just read that the Infinity War directors claimed that Ebony Maw is the breakout favorite character in the early screenings so it's annoying that Desaad got his thunder stolen by that bargain basement replica.

And it was nice to see her in it anyway since she rarely appears in any cartoons. Most shows/games/etc. just use the other three as they appeared in S:TAS.
    That's true, which is why I'm really hoping she is included in the movie(s) and becomes so recognizable that they have to include her in other media as well.

Do you have any dream castings for the Furies?
    OMG yes, I thought about it as soon as the movie was announced.

Mad Harriet - Fiona Dourif (I actually thought of the father/daughter duo of Brad & Fiona Dourif playing Desaad & Bernadeth just for the idea of seeing crazy dynamics together but then decided against it as Fiona is too young for Bernadeth. Her father though is perfect for Desaad. Fiona OTOH is well-suited for the berseker lunacy of Harriet)

Bernadeth - Sally Hawkins. She's a great actress and her gaunt look is perfect for Ole Bernie! She'd pull off all the different layers pretty efficiently.

Stompa - Keala Settle. This was a little hard due to the dearth of plus size actresses but Settle's very competent and charismatic. Gabourey Sidibe is another choice if she's interested.

Lashina - Sonoya Mizuno. I really like the idea of an Asian descent actress but unfortunately my first and second choices (Gemma Chan and Elodie Yung) are already in MCU works. So Mizuno it is (unless Gemma Chan is freed after Captain Marvel).

Big Barda - This is the hardest. I'm not too into the most popular choice of Gwendoline Christie. Aisha Tyler is another popular Twitter choice and I could see that, but not too sure. I've also seen transgender actresses like Laverne Cox and Daniela Vega being suggested for Barda which would be pretty groundbreaking. At the end of the day though, I'm sure I'll be pleased with whomever Ava picks.

What do you think of my picks and do you have your own Fury fan castings?

I wonder how they'll go about Big Barda's role in the film... will she be a villain and member of the Furies until the end? Or will she have already defected and be living with Mister Miracle? Either way, I'm excited!
    I'll be honest. While I do want a huge chunk of the world and mythos building to be included from the get go, I'm secretly hoping the first film is fundamentally Romeo & Juliet showcasing the unlikely love story between Scott & Barda, how they connected in a hellhole where all such connections were forbidden, how they gradually inspired each other to hope in a hopeless place etc. I would love for the film to be told from the parallel viewpoints of the star-crossed lovers and their eventual escape from Apokolips.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.