Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I had no idea Ultimate X-Men was that bad after New York got attacked by Magneto

Jesus Christ.

It started off good with the X-Men on the run from Magneto

But we end up with a run that does politics boringly and terribly, over some SEEDS.

A young girl arrives at camp and for some reason grown people are willing to follow behind her. And Jean is trying to kill everyone because reasons.

It was one of the worst comics I've ever read.

I've heard it gets pretty bad. I'm only up to issue twenty-something, though.

It was mostly bad before Ultimatum.

If you read Wood's run as a stand alone and don't take into account continuity it is pretty good. When you start factoring in characters previous temperaments and behaviors then it gets a little wtf. Gotta disagree with Loco Steve on the pre-ultimatum stuff, most of it was pretty great.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I dropped the book during Kirkman's run. Hard to believe it got worse than that.

I kinda dug the independent mutant territory set up, and how they went about creating a livable biome in a formerly uninhabitable space. I pretty much loved how they all had to work together to maintain life, which took them many issues to accomplish. I dug Rogue's anti-social stint and was even intrigued by her Christineing around the jungle.

I've heard the Shadowcat argument before, or whatever she was called in post-Ultimatum Ultimate X-Men. Shroud? Kitty running the mutant community is no more farfetched than 5 mutant teenagers stopping a global threat on their first outing as a team. It's no wilder than a cosmic entity tying life forces to a college student. No stranger than Cannonball defeating Gladiator. No crazier than mutants existing. I got over Kitty leading the rebellion really quickly.

The biggest screw up was Ultimate Jean Grey, but they'd put her down the dark path waaaay way way earlier.

It's really hard to do anything of substance after Kirkman ruins a franchise, and I felt they did a decent job. My favorite comic? No. But I think it was better than it gets credit for.
    Last edited by GoingGreen; 10-08-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Compared to how it was before Ultimatum, it's a massive step up.
    On ye olde CBR

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I kinda dug the independent mutant territory set up, and how they went about creating a livable biome in a formerly uninhabitable space. I pretty much loved how they all had to work together to maintain life, which took them many arcs to accomplish. I dug Rogue's anti-social stint and was even intrigued by her Christineing around the jungle.

I've heard the Shadowcat argument before, or whatever she was called in post-Ultimatum Ultimate X-Men. Shroud? Kitty running the mutant community is no more farfetched than 5 mutant teenagers stopping a global threat on their first outing as a team. It's no wilder than a cosmic entity tying life forces to a college student. No stranger than Cannonball defeating Gladiator. No crazier than mutants existing. I got over Kitty leading the rebellion really quickly.

The biggest screw up was Ultimate Jean Grey, but they'd put her down the dark path waaaay way way earlier.

It's really hard to do anything of substance after Kirkman ruins a franchise, and I felt they did a decent job. My favorite comic? No. But I think it was better than it gets credit for.

I'm not talkin about Kitty.

I'm talking about Mach-5 and her mutiny

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I'm not talkin about Kitty.

I'm talking about Mach-5 and her mutiny
    Oh.

That's fair, then.

She was the dumbest villain. She was the dumbest character, in general.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Compared to how it was before Ultimatum, it's a massive step up.
    Agreed. Brian Wood's run is the only good run of Ultimate X-men.

Incredible Member

After Mark Millar and BMB run, it's was average with some bad moments, but Ultimatum was led it to be more on a downhill spiral with some gems. Most of the Pre-Ultimatum stuff was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    If you read Wood's run as a stand alone and don't take into account continuity it is pretty good. When you start factoring in characters previous temperaments and behaviors then it gets a little wtf. Gotta disagree with Loco Steve on the pre-ultimatum stuff, most of it was pretty great.
    It's honestly a shame that we never got to see Spencer's Apocalypse story come to fruition. There was so much buildup throughout his run only for Wood to take everything in a completely different direction that never looked back aside from finishing up the Mastermold story. Then at Cataclysm we had the X-Men finally being reformed with Bendis showing they rebuilt the institute only for the UU to end without us getting anything else from them.

Milar's run through BVK was the height of the series. After was a slow slide into mediocrity and then Ultimatium signaled them giving up. Everything after was dreck full of bogus replacement characters and a total ditching of all the established characters personalities, backstory, and continuity. Kitty pride being the prime example of how she went from a totally different character in Millard run to 616 Kitty Pryde.

The complaints about Kitty's characterization come from people ignoring her character arc in Ultimate Spiderman. Wood built on the militant attitude she got in that book, notably after Ultimatum but even beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    The complaints about Kitty's characterization come from people ignoring her character arc in Ultimate Spiderman. Wood built on the militant attitude she got in that book, notably after Ultimatum but even beforehand.
    Totally agree.

That costume was so stupid, though.