Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The 2017 Blockbuster Blood Bath: Who is Gonna Bomb?

2017 has a couple brutal stretches in it... who won't survive the onslaught of poor Hollywood decision making?

June/July: 8 Weeks of Blockbusters

May 25- Pirates of the Caribbean
    June 2- Wonder Woman
    June 9- The Mummy, World War Z 2
    June 16- Cars 3, Kingsman: The Golden Circle
    June 23- Transformers: The Last Night
    June 30- Despicable Me 3
    July 7- Spider-Man: Homecoming
    July 14- War for the Planet of the Apes

I mean... JESUS F CHRIST?!! Who thought that through? There is no way all 10 of those movies escape absolute implosion.

March: Wait, Why Are We Fighting in March?

Mar 3- Logan
    March 10- Kong: Skull Island
    Mar 17- Beauty and the Beast
    Mar 24- Power Rangers
    Mar 31- Ghost in the Shell

What dumb dumb decided to go ahead and stack March back to back to back to back to back?

And this doesn't even mention February (Rings, followed by Lego Batman, John Wick, fifty shades darker on the same day, then Great Wall) or the fact you have 3 never ending action franchises in January (Underworld, xXx, Resident Evil), and Thor and Justice League being int he same month.

This especially makes little since when August, September, and October are pretty bare.

So... what say you... what movies are you scared for?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The Mummy is the only one out of those that will definitely bomb if the budget is huge. Why should anyone care about that? WWZ2 also seems like a bad idea especially if Pitt's not involved (is he? I have no idea). Kingsman is probably going to get crushed most places (people here in the UK will watch it though).

Pirates of the Carribean might be a surprise underperformer. It's been so long since the last one, and well over a decade since the last one anyone liked, and with Depp's personal **** coming up I don't think the public likes him nearly as much. Spider-Man is also another one that could underperform. No one wants a Spider-Man reboot, they wanted Spider-Man in the Avengers. If the film isn't good and they don't advertise the hell out of RDJ's presence, it could go below expectations. But if RDJ is in it for longer than a minute he'll be all over the advertising and that'll be enough to make up for it.

Transformer 5 won't do well in the West but these films as so shameless the whole plot will take place in emerging film markets to make up for it.

The one I'm scared for is Planet of the Apes and Wonder Woman. The latter just HAS to be good or it'll be so crushing.

Reviews might actually be ridiculously important this year.

IF (big if) Pirates is good and can tug on those nostalgia strings and WW is just "ok"... it could easily get swallowed up there.

I fear for Kingsman and I have no idea why they are releasing it in the summer when it did so great in February last year. What are these execs thinking?

And I thik Logan but be fucked. if Kong doesn't still its money, Beauty and the Beast WILL
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This calendar has me pretty excited! But yeah, Logan will be up against a ridiculous competition. It will HAVE to be very good.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Reviews might actually be ridiculously important this year.

IF (big if) Pirates is good and can tug on those nostalgia strings and WW is just "ok"... it could easily get swallowed up there.

I fear for Kingsman and I have no idea why they are releasing it in the summer when it did so great in February last year. What are these execs thinking?

And I thik Logan but be fucked. if Kong doesn't still its money, Beauty and the Beast WILL
    As a hard R logan shouldnt get too much blow back from Beauty and the best. I also think Logan needs to do horrible to be a flop like less then 350m globaly.

The big cbms are safe i think. Justice league does BvS numbers at worst, spidey and GoTg probally do 700-800m and i think both possibly do alot better just being cautious. Only time will tell, no one thought Deadpool would be one of he biggest domestic releases of 2016 so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The Mummy is the only one out of those that will definitely bomb if the budget is huge. Why should anyone care about that? WWZ2 also seems like a bad idea especially if Pitt's not involved (is he? I have no idea). Kingsman is probably going to get crushed most places (people here in the UK will watch it though).

Pirates of the Carribean might be a surprise underperformer. It's been so long since the last one, and well over a decade since the last one anyone liked, and with Depp's personal **** coming up I don't think the public likes him nearly as much. Spider-Man is also another one that could underperform. No one wants a Spider-Man reboot, they wanted Spider-Man in the Avengers. If the film isn't good and they don't advertise the hell out of RDJ's presence, it could go below expectations. But if RDJ is in it for longer than a minute he'll be all over the advertising and that'll be enough to make up for it.

Transformer 5 won't do well in the West but these films as so shameless the whole plot will take place in emerging film markets to make up for it.

The one I'm scared for is Planet of the Apes and Wonder Woman. The latter just HAS to be good or it'll be so crushing.
    I have to concur with this analysis. While several on the list will underperform though, I'm afraid for Wonder Woman. It'd be a shame if it went down (speaking as someone who really didn't like Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad, I have high hopes for Wonder Woman and I really hope it does well).

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I expect Wonder Woman & Spider-Man to still do solid numbers despite compitition, but everything else is arguably up in the air and could go either way.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Pirates of the Caribbean will be a hit... China will save it even if it underperforms here. The Transformers movie will be big, because everything Michael Bay does makes money no matter how much it sucks. The Kingsman and Despicable Me sequels will probably do well, as will Beauty and the Beast. Everything else on that list is a question mark. Sequels and reboots, reboots and sequels, on into infinity.

I don't have a clue who the heck Power Rangers is supposed to be for, everything about that movie reminds me of the newest Fantastic Four movie and I just can't see that doing well anywhere.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    As a hard R logan shouldnt get too much blow back from Beauty and the best. I also think Logan needs to do horrible to be a flop like less then 350m globaly.

The big cbms are safe i think. Justice league does BvS numbers at worst, spidey and GoTg probally do 700-800m and i think both possibly do alot better just being cautious. Only time will tell, no one thought Deadpool would be one of he biggest domestic releases of 2016 so who knows
    I don't think Spidey can get away bringing in $700 million or comparable amounts to either TASM movies. Spidey needs to do $800 million minimum and at least $300 million domestic. Neither of which he's done since 2007 with Spider-Man 3. Plus, Spider-Man fatigue is something to be concerned about. By the time Homecoming comes out, we'll have had 3 different actors play Spider-Man in the of 10 years, with 2 separate reboots. With it being sandiwiched between TF5 and Planet of the Apes 3, things don't look good.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 11-22-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I don't think Spidey can get away bringing in $700 million or comparable amounts to either TASM movies. Spidey needs to do $800 million minimum and at least $300 million domestic. Neither of which he's done since 2007 with Spider-Man 3. Plus, Spider-Man fatigue is something to be concerned about. By the time Homecoming comes out, we'll have had 3 different actors play Spider-Man in the of 10 years, with 2 separate reboots. With it being sandiwiched between TF5 and Planet of the Apes 3, things don't look good.
    I don't think Spider-Man fatigue is something to be worried about. This version of Spider-Man received positive reception in Civil War and eager to see more of him. Things would be more dire for Homecoming if it didn't have positive buzz from Civil War.

My predictions:

It's a Hit!
    – Wonder Woman (please dear god let this be a hit)
    – Cars 3 (sadly)
    – Transformers: The Last Night (again, sadly)
    – Spider-Man: Homecoming (any MCU movie will do well at this point)
    – Logan
    – Beauty and the Beast

Mediocre Performance
    – Pirates of the Caribbean
    – World War Z 2 (I *hated* the first but I think this will out-perform The Mummy for sure)
    – Kingsman: The Golden Circle
    – Despicable Me 3
    – Kong: Skull Island
    – Power Rangers

Bombs Away
    – The Mummy
    – War for the Planet of the Apes
    – Ghost in the Shell

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Off the list the Mummy and World War Z 2 are the front runners. Especially being sandwiched between Wonder Woman and Cars 3. One them is going to take the hard hit.

I certainly hope Kong performs well, as I'm primarily a giant monster fan before all other fandoms... but as a Chinese co-production (like all of Legendary's kaiju films like upcoming Godzilla and Pacific Rim sequels) I know that the primary audience is a worldwide one, not necessarily an American one. Pacific Rim did totally mediocre in the States, but did well in other countries and we're getting another one because of that.

I'm more excited about films in 2017 than I am concerned with them duking it out: favorite franchises returning (King Kong, Planet of the Apes, Guardians 2, the Godzilla anime) and favorite directors coming out with new films (Guillermo del Toro, Edgar Wright, Bong Joon-ho).

Astonishing Member

There's a good possibility World War Z 2 won't be released on time. Checked IMDB and it seems only Brad is cast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3234552/ and according to Wikipedia they haven't started to film it yet. It's almost the end of November and with all the upheaval Pitt is going thru, the sequel will probably be released in 2018.

I'm most curious with how Logan will perform. An R rating coming after the underwhelming Apocalypse in the dead of March. The previous Wolverine barely scraping 132M domestic. It will probably even make less than that. I don't think the major audience is interested in the Fox franchise.