Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stuff you'd like to see adapted into anime

Manga, novels, games, etc.

Black Clover. I love fantasy with magic, blood and sword-swinging. The classic "young newcomer/outsider that has to work extra hard" story, the level of violence, discrimination. There's an OVA coming out in November but it's not enough!!!
    "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
    Nah, never happen.
    Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Power Rangers. Live action versions are hard to enjoy for anyone over 10 years old. It's just too silly. But anime can do wonders in my opinion. No need to make it too violent or anything, but just seeing proper monster designs, exciting fights and other stuff would be good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    Power Rangers. Live action versions are hard to enjoy for anyone over 10 years old. It's just too silly. But anime can do wonders in my opinion. No need to make it too violent or anything, but just seeing proper monster designs, exciting fights and other stuff would be good.
    If they made a Power Rangers cartoon it would probably be aimed at little kids too.

BANNED

Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series seems very suited for this.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    Yes, because anime is soooo mature. (If you can't tell that's sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    If they made a Power Rangers cartoon it would probably be aimed at little kids too.
    ^ This. Power Rangers and their older Japanese counterpart Super Sentai are aimed at kids, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. The Cheesiness is part of what makes it fun to watch. Also better something be aimed at kids so everyone can watch and enjoy it than horny teenagers or pervy adult males like most anime are. :P
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I'm seriously wondering if the Sentai is going to take any cues on the upcoming Power Rangers movie, if it's successful of course. All accounts point towards it being darker than the TV show but still kid friendly (probably not as whimsical or dark as the Dark Crystal, but more towards that direction rather than maintaining the tone of the original show). Sentai's done dark but kid friendly before (particularly in the 80s), but really toned that down over the past decade or so.

But overall, yeah, I agree, if Power Rangers was adapted to anime, it'd still have the same audience. Maybe a wider audience per se, but the target demographics would be the same.

BANNED

Well, the entire colour-coded sentai squadron genre started in anime in the first place with Gatchaman...

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. The talented newcomer that becomes a martial artist with great potential. Lots of fun violence mixed with comedy and romance. I think it's probably one of the longest-lived manga that hasn't been adapted.
    Nah, never happen.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

BANNED

More american comics adapted into anime.

my pics:

Spawn
    Grendel
    Spiderman
    Transmetropoliton
    Metal Men
    Usagi Yojimbo

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And as I would like to chime in, despite the cheesy-looking costumes, later Power Rangers series have been able to take on more serious storytelling and narrative themes. In Space dealt with villains that weren't completely evil, that had a sense of loyalty and honor in regards to each other and some semblance of restraint in how they dealt with noncombatants, contrasted with one particular villain who was completely evil and not played for laughs (as his actions led to an innocent girl being kidnapped and raised into an evil leader, and then when said girl learned the truth and escaped, to her being forcibly brainwashed back into evil), and pitted against a Red Ranger who had lost his family, home, and best friend to the conquest of the villains and wasn't exactly looking to make more friends that he could then lose. Lost Galaxy dealt with issues of grief, survivor's guilt, the desire for revenge upon those responsible for said grief and how following that desire could twist someone into a worse person than they used to be, actually killed off a Ranger (though she was resurrected in the final minutes of the season/series), and once again gave us a contrast of somewhat honorable and principled villains vs. a completely evil villain that wasn't played for laughs, especially in the outcome of his actions in the season/series finale. Lightspeed Rescue had the distinction of being the first Ranger team recruited and organized by the government, as well as the first evil Ranger to be evil not because of brainwashing but because of being raised to hate humanity out of the belief that his own family had chosen to abandon him in favor of his younger sister and genuinely struggling at first over the question of whether or not he had any good left in him after all those years of being raised on hate.

Time Force dealt with themes of racism, classism, revenge, ambition, and whether or not people were predestined to a certain path in life or could make their own path. Racism came in the form of the mutant criminals that largely served as the monsters of the week and were according to the series' backstory driven to crime and violence by the discrimination they endured in the future for not being genetically perfect. Classism was addressed via the Red Ranger being born to a wealthy father and initially destined to inherit said father's company as compared to his rival and ex-classmate whose capabilities and insights were ignored by his superiors on account of his lack of wealth. Revenge was one of the major themes of the series, being addressed by the main villain being driven to avenge the injustices against him on account of being a genetically flawed mutant, the Pink Ranger who was out to avenge her fiancé, the original Red Ranger who had been seemingly murdered in front of her by the main villain, to the point of nearly crossing the line on one occasion, and even one of the main villain's henchmen who turned out to be someone the main villain had terribly wronged a long time ago, who had rebuilt himself and bided his time for the sole purpose of being in position to avenge himself. Ambition came in the form of the Red Ranger's aforementioned rival and ex-classmate, who stole a device that had been sent back in time by Time Force and used it to become the Quantum Ranger in hopes of finally having his abilities recognized and using his newfound powers to secure a leadership role in the organization he had joined, ultimately driven by the poverty he had experienced for most of his life. The question of predestination vs. free will came in the form of the Pink Ranger's fiancé, who turned out to be not as dead as initially presumed and came back in time to take back the Red Ranger morpher, insisting that events had to unfold as they were historically recorded with no regard for the human toll, vs. the present-day Red Ranger, who insisted in turn that people could choose for themselves what their future paths would be, having given up his father's wealth and company to do what he felt was right by joining the other Rangers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

my pics:

Spawn
    Grendel
    Spiderman
    Transmetropoliton
    Metal Men
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Hmm, Spawn already had a manga called Shadows of Spawn, and that could definitely be a good avenue for an anime adaptation. Given Spider-Man's popularity in Japan, I'm very surprised that aside from his appearances in Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers, there's been no attempt thus far to make an anime series of him or his manga counterparts Yu Komori (from the 1970s) or Sho Amano (from the Spider-Man J series) or even his live-action tokusatsu counterpart Takuya Yamashiro. Transmetropolitan had an in-universe parody anime called "Magical Truthsaying Bastard Spidey," with Spider Jerusalem's "filthy assistants" as schoolgirls in love, but I could definitely see a more straightforward anime adaptation, especially if written or supervised by Warren Ellis like the Marvel Anime series of 2010-11 were. And Metal Men would be perfect as a quasi-Sentai kind of team, with Magnus being portrayed as a male tsundere reluctant to admit that he was attracted to Platinum/Tina or enticed by her flirtations.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Re:Monster. Fantasy with all sorts of different monsters and races. A harem story unlike most harem stories. I also like the "transported/reincarnated from a different dimension" aspect of the main character. I've always enjoyed that kind of thing in a story set in a fantasy world which is one of the reasons I love Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri and Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu.
    Nah, never happen.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

my pics:

Spawn
    Grendel
    Spiderman
    Transmetropoliton
    Metal Men
    Usagi Yojimbo
    I'd love to see that happen.
    Nah, never happen.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Yes, because anime is soooo mature. (If you can't tell that's sarcasm)

^ This. Power Rangers and their older Japanese counterpart Super Sentai are aimed at kids, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. The Cheesiness is part of what makes it fun to watch. Also better something be aimed at kids so everyone can watch and enjoy it than horny teenagers or pervy adult males like most anime are. :P
    I never said animes are mature. What I meant was, Power Rangers is better suited as anime than live action even it is aimed at kids. Like Pokemon is aimed at kids but I still enjoy it.

I wish they could give X-men another try. Some of the best adaptations that I've seen come from people that love the source material and try to stay as faithful as possible. Find the right talent and studio that are willing to put the effort and money into a project and I'm sure something great could be made. Especially if they adapted the classics in a OVA like format.

And if that were to never happen then I would love for Harbinger to get the anime treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolimar View Post
    Re:Monster. Fantasy with all sorts of different monsters and races. A harem story unlike most harem stories. I also like the "transported/reincarnated from a different dimension" aspect of the main character. I've always enjoyed that kind of thing in a story set in a fantasy world which is one of the reasons I love Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri and Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu.
    Heyo, another Re:Zero fan

I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider