Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Amalgam characters: BRING THEM BACK

I didn't know where to put this thread at(feel free to move)so I put it in Independenents. I recently discovered the Amalgam Universe again & would like to see the titles in some kind of mini series/crossover event of some kind preferably one that involves the DC & or Marvel's multiverses. IMHO,I think many fans have forgotten how entertaining the Amalgam Universe was Dark Claw,Super Soldier and Dr.Strangefate are incredible characters that I wish could of been ongoing titles because the one shots just peeked my curiosity.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I would agree. If I could do it, I would license the characters out to a third party. This way neither Marvel nor DC is "in charge." Let them do 4 titles, 2 solo, one team, and perhaps a two member team book. The price would be a bit higher. But sales would be all right, nothing spectacular. But there would be a lot of buzz and interest.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    I didn't know where to put this thread at(feel free to move)so I put it in Independenents. I recently discovered the Amalgam Universe again & would like to see the titles in some kind of mini series/crossover event of some kind preferably one that involves the DC & or Marvel's multiverses. IMHO,I think many fans have forgotten how entertaining the Amalgam Universe was Dark Claw,Super Soldier and Dr.Strangefate are incredible characters that I wish could of been ongoing titles because the one shots just peeked my curiosity.
    Absolutely correct here with one problem as I see it. The Original Amalgams appeared to be done by newer creative teams who actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing. This as the comment below yours suggests needs to be done outside the House of Marvel and the House of DC. No editorial interference or final approval from either company.

I can only imagine the negotiation headaches in this one. The original came about, largely, due to the friendly relationship between Mark Gruenwald and Mike Carlin. That allowed the DC/Marvel crossovers of the era to be a heck of a lot less political than the previous ones. These days, with both companies part of massive entertainment conglomerates? it would probably make the Paris Peace Accords look like swapping recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Absolutely correct here with one problem as I see it. The Original Amalgams appeared to be done by newer creative teams who actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing. This as the comment below yours suggests needs to be done outside the House of Marvel and the House of DC. No editorial interference or final approval from either company.
    The Amalgam Universe would thrive outside the borders of the DC & Marvel "universes" thus giving fans of both companies a creative & different alternative to those some times confusing continuities. Amalgam was an interesting & creative series of titles that should of had a longer run than a few issues
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 10-13-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Incredible Member

Id like to see 'reprints' of fake back issues, done in a retro style.....

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    The Amalgam Universe would thrive outside the borders of the DC & Marvel "universes" thus giving fans of both companies a creative & different alternative to those some times confusing continuities. Amalgam was an interesting & creative series of titles that should of had a longer run than a few issues
    I had to back track these since I wasn't buying comics at the time these came out. I wonder if Marvel also had Malibu or Clive Barkers Horror verse or whatever it was called. Too many projects at the same time syndrome? Or as codystarbuck seems to suggest the right editors in alignment at the right time?

Look who showed up as cameos in IDW's Infestation crossover a few years back.

I figured I'd share this.

Super Soldier and Amazon? How did they get away with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Super Soldier and Amazon? How did they get away with that?
    And Iron Lantern!

Sure they're only there for one pannel, but it's pretty blatant that it's them.

I think the only real way we’ll get anything like this is through fan content.
    Maybe we’ll get lucky and get some more content in 2087 or something when we’re all close to our deathbeds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I think the only real way we’ll get anything like this is through fan content.
    Maybe we’ll get lucky and get some more content in 2087 or something when we’re all close to our deathbeds.
    I'm hoping for maybe in three years or sooner because I can see the Amalgam universe being the catalyst for the SECRET CRISIS that involves DC & Marvel multiverses (if it happens) somehow

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I had to back track these since I wasn't buying comics at the time these came out. I wonder if Marvel also had Malibu or Clive Barkers Horror verse or whatever it was called. Too many projects at the same time syndrome? Or as codystarbuck seems to suggest the right editors in alignment at the right time?
    Yeah, Marvel bought Malibu basically for it's Ultraverse line so they wouldn't be competition for them like Image, Valiant, Defiant, and others.
    Also Marvel had several imprints including: Marvel UK, Frontier Comics, Epic Comics, Marvel Music, Clive Barker's Razor Line Comics, and Marvel 2099.
    In the 90s Marvel had split their main superhero line into several smaller imprints: Spider-Man, X-Men, Midnight Sons, Marvel Edge, and Marvel Superheroes.
    I think Amalgam worked as a series of one-shots that was fun because it was basically made as a once in a lifetime event and I think the second go around was OK but not as great as the first one. If you brought them back even given to another publisher as an ongoing series they wouldn't be special anymore. With BOTH Marvel and DC wanting certain things would make it a slow moving trainwreck.

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one that liked both Access minis?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Yeah, Marvel bought Malibu basically for it's Ultraverse line so they wouldn't be competition for them like Image, Valiant, Defiant, and others.
    Also Marvel had several imprints including: Marvel UK, Frontier Comics, Epic Comics, Marvel Music, Clive Barker's Razor Line Comics, and Marvel 2099.
    In the 90s Marvel had split their main superhero line into several smaller imprints: Spider-Man, X-Men, Midnight Sons, Marvel Edge, and Marvel Superheroes.
    I think Amalgam worked as a series of one-shots that was fun because it was basically made as a once in a lifetime event and I think the second go around was OK but not as great as the first one. If you brought them back even given to another publisher as an ongoing series they wouldn't be special anymore. With BOTH Marvel and DC wanting certain things would make it a slow moving trainwreck.
    They bought Malibu for two reasons 1. DC was circling and was reportedly preparing an offer to acquire them and 2. Malibu had a state-of-the-art digital colouring process at the time that was better than DC and Marvel.

By buying Malibu, Marvel prevented DC getting them and also gave them access to better digital software to produce comics (which is why DC wanted them too).

Now, because of the royalty deals in place, Marvel can't use the Malibu characters at all despite owning them. Joey Q wanted to use those characters as soon as he assumed the EiC chair at Marvel. But those wretched deals basically mean it isn't profitable to use them.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 06-14-2022 at 11:12 PM.