Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    After having her date Superman, a character outside her mythos, for so long, I doubt they jump right back into going that route again, male or female.

However, inside her mythos, there's already hints of a sexual element to Diana's relationship with Barbara Ann.
    Lol.

There's not, but I'm sure I'll get some commission requests to write some stories about it anyway

Hey, whatever pays the bills
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

I'm in favor of letting the classics be the classics. And not stooping to using a character's presumed sexuality for shock value or titilation.

Writing for shock and titilation I believe is the hallmark of a bad writer. And I think we have suffered enough of them in the comics we read.

Let's leave the slash fiction in the realm it belongs.

This has nothing to do with homophobia on my part. Far from it. I simply believe in honoring the vision of the character. As depicted by her creator. Instead having a writer disrespect the creation by writing for shock, or to push some personal political agenda.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post

Exactly.

The realm where folks pay me to write for them
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Lol.

There's not, but I'm sure I'll get some commission requests to write some stories about it anyway

Hey, whatever pays the bills
    Different people see different things. I'm sure not the only one seeing it, that's all I know. If others aren't, fair enough.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    Wonder woman is Bisexual but she prefers men. They had no men on Paradise Island so she never had the option before but she has options now and she clearly prefers men to women on her spectrum.

I don't know why people don't under stand that Wondy is a 70%men/30% women Bisexual. She finds women attractive but she is more sexually interested in Men most of them time. Sometimes a women does it for her but she is more interested in men since she has come to the modern world.
    She's as interested in men as the writer decides. The only reason she's mostly dated men is due to writers keeping her being bisexual under wraps anyway.

I'm in favor of letting the classics be the classics. And not stooping to using a character's presumed sexuality for shock value or titilation.

Writing for shock and titilation I believe is the hallmark of a bad writer. And I think we have suffered enough of them in the comics we read.

This has nothing to do with homophobia on my part. Far from it. I simply believe in honoring the vision of the character. As depicted by her creator. Instead having a writer disrespect the creation by writing for shock, or to push some personal political agenda.
    What makes you think Rucka is doing this for shock value or titillation?

And judging by the way her creator wrote her, it's likely he intended her to be bisexual as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What makes you think Rucka is doing this for shock value or titillation?
    I don't. I haven't even read Rucka's Wonder Woman at all after Rebirth. The last time I remember his writing... Well Diana turned Maxwell Lord's head around his neck to an unnatural position.

And judging by the way her creator wrote her, it's likely he intended her to be bisexual as well.
    He left it as ambiguous. Never saying so for certain. And honestly? I like characters having mystery aspects about them. It only adds to the whole of what makes a character compelling in the first place. And removing those mysteries results in a loss of a character's mythical status.

I don't presume to know what Marston's ultimate goals were for the character. And unless he left a journal containing that information, I don't think anyone else could be in any position make an educated guess on the matter.
    Last edited by Darrin Kelley; 10-07-2016 at 11:37 PM.

This is exactly what I feared would happen. You put a label on something and that's all some people see, everything is viewed through that lens. It's not a mysterious aluminum can anymore, add a label that says "Del Monte green beans" and that's what it is. It doesn't matter if the can's contents are really pineapple rings, no one will know until it's opened.

I'm sure Rucka meant the queer label to be inclusive, but it can easily backfire and become a reduction, that reinforces stereotypes. It occurs every time someone says "she's from an island of women what else do you expect".

Forget about female empowerment, sisterhood, stopping wars with love or rehabilitating enemies, that's beside the point now. All some fans are going to want is hot girl on girl superhero action.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Would it sell comics? Maybe it would. But do you think so?
    If we are to judge from the popularity of girl-on-girl "art films" among heterosexual males, maybe it might.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Leave WW alone, you can suggest things as it's been done since the Golden age but lets please leave it at that. There's plenty of Amazons (like Artemis and Grace) that you could do lesbian plots with but please leave Diana be. There's no need to out Diana. Personally I'd rather the Amazons (in general) be asexual because they are above human sexuality and they don't need it, but that's me.
    Wow. "Asexual because they are above human sexuality"? You don't seem to have a very high opinion of sex. It's fun and it can express love and affection and it can bind people together. (Sometimes all three at once, sometimes one at a time.) Who wants to be "above" that?

Very little is as it was in the Golden Age. And, given his personal life (and who he based Wonder Woman on), it's quite possible that Marston would have made her bisexual if he could have gotten away with it at the time. It seems like a very sensible development to me.

But that doesn't mean she has to date a female superhero now, or date a woman at all. The comic is currently focusing on her relationship with Steve Trevor, and that's fine with me. "Bisexual" does not mean the same thing as "non-monogamous."
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I am not the least bit shocked by the idea that Diana is bisexual. Nor am I particularly titillated.

And given Marston's personal life, and the women he based Diana on, I think it is quite possible that he would have made her bisexual if he could have gotten away with it at the time. Unfortunately, there was a very prevalent political agenda at the time (called homophobia, or heterosexism) that restricted him, so we'll never know.
    Doctor Bifrost

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is exactly what I feared would happen. You put a label on something and that's all some people see, everything is viewed through that lens. It's not a mysterious aluminum can anymore, add a label that says "Del Monte green beans" and that's what it is. It doesn't matter if the can's contents are really pineapple rings, no one will know until it's opened.

I'm sure Rucka meant the queer label to be inclusive, but it can easily backfire and become a reduction, that reinforces stereotypes. It occurs every time someone says "she's from an island of women what else do you expect".

Forget about female empowerment, sisterhood, stopping wars with love or rehabilitating enemies, that's beside the point now. All some fans are going to want is hot girl on girl superhero action.
    It's a little early to claim that being bisexual is all people see in Diana.

And honestly? I like characters having mystery aspects about them. It only adds to the whole of what makes a character compelling in the first place. And removing those mysteries results in a loss of a character's mythical status.
    Oh gee whiz! Superman's relationship with Lois Lane, and his apparent heterosexuality, has never been "mysterious." Or Hal Jordan's sexual orientation. Or Barry Allen's. Or Aquaman's. Or Oliver Queen's.

Odd coincidence: they're all (presented as) straight. It's only with gay or bisexual characters that we start hearing "it should be mysterious, it makes them more compelling." Actually what it does is make gays and bisexuals invisible.

It's also only with gay or bisexual characters that we're likely to hear "I don't know why we need sex (or, a political agenda, or political correctness, or quotas) in superhero comics!" Superman and Lois Lane are just an accepted part of the mythos. But introduce a gay character? "Why are you throwing it in our face??!?"
    Doctor Bifrost

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

And that's why all comic book characters should be straight? Because if you make one of them gay or bisexual, it overwhelms the story? A great excuse for keeping gay characters out - thanks, we needed one of those!
    Doctor Bifrost

I am bored to tears with so many superheroes dating other superheroes. They should have more non-supers in their supporting cast.

And there's nothing intrinsically boring about Steve Trevor. He's an integral part of Diana's story. Whether he's boring or not depends only on the writer.

I am very comfortable with Diana being bisexual - it makes perfect sense to me. But right now the story is focusing on her relationship with Steve, and that makes perfect sense to me too. Just because she's bisexual doesn't mean she has to go out and date one (or more) of each.
    Doctor Bifrost