Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When did you start reading Marvel comics and what was the comic?

Mine was Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and I read it in March 2014, it was not only my first Marvel comic, but the first comic I ever read, and the rest was history. I ended up binge reading all of Bendis's 160+ issues in just a couple of days. So, what was your first Marvel comic and when did you read it?
    Favorite Marvel Superheroes (in no particular order): Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Hawkeye (Clint Barton), Wolverine (Logan), Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Black Bolt, Deadpool, Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), The Thing, Cyclops, Emma Frost.

Favorite DC Superheroes (in no particular order): Batman, Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon), Zatanna, The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Black Canary, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Shazam.

The first Marvel comic book I got as a kid (my Dad let me get a comic book off the shelves when we stopped to buy the Sunday newspapers at the stationary store) was

back when I was six years old and wasn't quite "reading" yet.
    (My interest in getting it was probably the Saturday morning Spider-Man cartoon with the cool theme song!)

It would be about five years later before I regularly started getting Marvel comics off the spinner rack with my own cash and regularly following them. And while I'm not sure which Marvel series would have been the first I regularly bought, I think the first Amazing Spider-Man I started buying regularly then was

I'm not sure if it counts as a comic but 10 years ago I bought a X-men encyclopedia and it got me hooked ever since.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It had to be around late fall of 1975. I was 9 years old.
    I received a Comicpac of 3 Marvel Comics as a gift.
    Marvel Tales Staring Spider-Man #52
    Captain America #176
    Tomb of Dracula #23
    But it was issue #176 of The Fantastic Four that got me collecting Marvel regularly. Summer of '76
    341140._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Radar Sense Bitches !! Matt Murdock's Swagger's Avatar

1975 - as a little kid I remember reading this and was shocked because I thought the real CA was killed !!

My family was into reading comics from around 1967
    I personally started buying comics in 1972 and they where also
    my first Marvel comics (family loved Archie and Harvey and Superman related books)
    I remember getting
    Amazing Spider-Man #115
    Captain America #155
    Incredible Hulk #155
    Invincible Iron Man #53
    Fantastic Four #129

and than soon after
    Mighty Thor #207
    Marvel Team Up #5
    Sub-Mariner #55
    Defenders #5
    Daredevil #98
    Avengers #108

Last year's Free Comic Book Day titles (yeah, Secret Wars, I'm sorry to say). I'd always liked the Marvel cartoons and movies though, and had been playing Avengers Alliance on Facebook (until it closed last week, grr) but until then my comics reading was not superheroes, but instead Beano (a British humour anthology title that's been running for 78 years) and more recently, Titan's Doctor Who and sometimes their Simpsons comics (I'd gone to my LCS for the Doctor Who and Simpsons free comic books, also picked up Sonic/Mega Man and a bundle of 10 that included both of Marvel's and both of DC's titles).

I was 8 years old and it was the fall of '74. These are the two oldest Marvel comics that I can recall reading. Comics have been my "thing" ever since.

Last edited by DevilBat66; 10-07-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Batman - Daredevil

Niffleheim

I was already familiar with Marvel characters' histories from past cartoons but Storm and Thanos were the first time i actually read any Marvel comicbooks and they have remained my favorite characters since then.

When: Blame It On MCU
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.

New Avengers and it was around 2013 or 14.

I mean I read a few Comics back in the day as a child but I never got hooked until after the Avengers Movie which I didn't see straight away because I had not much interest in it.
    After that I went and watched all the other MCU Movies (except Hulk) and then I started reading Comics. I wasn't sure wether to start with Marvel or DC so I went with the one that had Black Widow hahaha.

To this day I haven't really managed to get into DC because I know how much time it took to even attempt understanding whats going on and what already happened in that Universe, attempting it for the other one is probably not easier. Though I of course read some stuff from those guys too and have my favourit Characters and everything. But I still haven't looked into a single Crisis or Flashpoint or whatever event so I lack deeper knowledge of the World/ Universe itself.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 10-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

The first comic I remember buying (well having bought for me) was Amazing Spiderman 97 with the Lizard as the bad guy. I guess that was late '70s.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

My uncles had a stash of comics that I used to sneak into whenever they were away. Two of them went off to war, while the third one left for parts unknown. He'd turn up a year later married to a pretty senorita from Mexico that he'd married. My mother wouldn't let me keep their comics, but while they were gone, I was king of comic heaven. I can't say that I read them, since most of the words were too advanced for me. But I understood most of the images, and the ones that I didn't understand, well, I made up my own dialogue as I went. My love for myths and all things cosmic started here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-07-2016 at 03:45 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I started reading Marvel in the 70s (although I didn't start collecting Marvel until the 80s) and my first book was an Amazing Spiderman one but I'm not sure which issue it was exactly. I do remember it had something to do with Spidey and astronauts and that it had to be an old issue because it once belonged to my uncle.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

Born in 1985, started reading Marvel in fall of 1992 with Uncanny X-men 193, a back issue on the wall of the second comic shop that just opened up in my small home town. The X-men cartoon just started and being 7 years old in second grade, 1992 was an awesome time for me. I still have the issue in poor condition because I must of read it 200 times, literally 200. At nycc 2015 I bought another issue and got Claremont to sign it.

Nova (vol.1) #2. This was 1976 and after seeing Nova fighting against Powerhouse and the Condor on the cover, I was lucky enough to find issue #1 AND #3 on the comic rack at my local drugstore! Loved Richard Rider and his universe ever since!