Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wally West help please

I'm 44, collected comics in the 80's and just got back within the last few years. Really only addicted again for the last year and a half. So.... I missed Wally West completely. I know the basic history but what is he in now? Titans, or Teen Titans, or both? The Flash(Barry Allen) is one of my favorites, but am fascinated with Wally. Did Johns write Wally as the Flash, or just Rebirth and Barry? Thanks for any info, this forum is a wealth of information for an old guy getting back into it.

BANNED

Wally has been gone from comics for the last 5 years, the entirety of the New 52. He was just brought back last May in DC Universe Rebirth #1 (a must read) and made his next 2 appearances in the Flash Rebirth and Titans Rebirth one-shots. He is currently the lead in the new Titans series written by Dan Abnett, which I think is really good and keeps getting better.

Also, in 2014 they tried replacing the iconic ginger Wally West with a 12 year old black kid who had nothing in common with the old character. This did not go over well, so he was retconned into being the old Wally's cousin with the exact same name and powers. He is the new Kid Flash in Teen Titans while classic Wally is The Flash alongside Barry.

Geoff Johns did a pretty good run with Wally as the Flash before Barry returned. It started out just okay but got better later on. The best Wally West Flash comics were written by Mark Waid in the 90s. Grant Morrison also did good work with the character in the main Flash book as well as his JLA run.

Thanks for the reply. I've read the Rebirth issue, and have the 1st 7 Flash issues of which I'm just starting. I think I'll add Titans to my pull list. Who else is in the Titans?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acnblj View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've read the Rebirth issue, and have the 1st 7 Flash issues of which I'm just starting. I think I'll add Titans to my pull list. Who else is in the Titans?
    Titans has Donna Troy, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson, Garth, and Lilith Clay.

Are you looking into any trades? Waid and Johns have the best runs. Born to Run, The Return of Barry Allen, The Secret of Barry Allen, and Rogue War are the best Flash comics ever written IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Titans has Donna Troy, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson, Garth, and Lilith Clay.

Are you looking into any trades? Waid and Johns have the best runs. Born to Run, The Return of Barry Allen, The Secret of Barry Allen, and Rogue War are the best Flash comics ever written IMO.
    I second that.

I think the current Titans series is the next best thing to a New Teen Titans reunion. Raven and Beast Boy are too young to be Titans in current continuity, so going for a Silver Age inspired team in place of the Marv Wolfman era team was a smart move.

Who is Garth, and Lilith Grey? As to trades, yes. I have the Johns rebirth, and see that the Johns run has been reissued. I'll be getting the ones you suggested for sure at some point. Thank you!!!

Who is Garth, and Lilith Grey? As to trades, yes. I have the Johns rebirth, and see that the Johns run has been reissued. I'll be getting the ones you suggested for sure at some point. Thank you!!!
    Garth is the original Aqualad, and Lilith is a character that dates back to the Teen Titans' late 60s/early 70s days.

Ok, great! I've also started Aqauman for the first time ever. So, is Garth Arthur's son?

BANNED

Ok, great! I've also started Aqauman for the first time ever. So, is Garth Arthur's son?
    In the old days, he was sorta his adoptive son/ward, like Robin is to Batman. As they are slowly reintroducing Garth into the new version of things, we've seen him helping out Aquaman (alongside many others) as a member of his court or army but we don't yet know the story of Garth becoming "Aqualad". But they are no relation.

The Johns run has been reprinted. I ordered the first 3 volumes from Amazon. Can't wait to read them.

The Johns run has been reprinted. I ordered the first 3 volumes from Amazon. Can't wait to read them.
    Great. Waid's one gives you a better establishment of the character but Johns's arcs include some of the better stories IMO.

This is more the era that Titans is working off of:

Great. Waid's one gives you a better establishment of the character but Johns's arcs include some of the better stories IMO.
    The Waid ones are being reprinted as well, but aren't available til Dec, or Jan. I'm assuming the Waid ones were written first, correct?

The Waid ones are being reprinted as well, but aren't available til Dec, or Jan. I'm assuming the Waid ones were written first, correct?
    Yep, they are first. I suppose waiting for the reprints isn't bad but I don't know what the difference is.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Born-Ru.../dp/1563895048

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Return-.../dp/1563892685

BANNED

Yep, they are first. I suppose waiting for the reprints isn't bad but I don't know what the difference is.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Born-Ru.../dp/1563895048

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Return-.../dp/1563892685
    Price. Cheapest new copy of Return of Barry Allen is 50 bucks. I personally distrust used copies, you don't know where they've been.