Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why not have Batman date a male superhero?

Since this question (or its equivalent) has already been posted in both the Wonder Woman forum and in the Superman forum, it seems only fair to include the remaining member of DC's Trinity in on the fun!

I mean, Bruce is the most macho, macho man out there. A man's man. A man's man's man. And he already seems to prefer the company of multiple svelte younger men in form-fitting clothing at his side. And in this ever-changing world of tolerance and acceptance, maybe this move would give him even more relevance?

[/sarcasm]

Bruce dating with Clark Kent:

Seriously, No... Batman has spent many decades with robins.. With this is enough.. Batman with men allies, Bruce Wayne with women....
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-08-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Why not just make every single comic character gay to avoid the possibility of underrepresenting the small percentage of the world that is gay?
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Because Bruce isn't gay? Seems logical to me.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Because Bruce isn't gay? Seems logical to me.
    This, the character has been straight since his inception. Now in an alternate universe I have no problem with it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

I'm all for inclusion and diversity, but it seems unrealistic to expect a character that's been hetero for 75 years to suddenly be turned gay. Like even if they did, it'd be like, well, what about the 75 years he was hetero.

If we were to get a homosexual Batman, the two best approaches would either be that it is not Bruce Wayne (eg. A new homosexual character takes the cowl) or the Batman line is reset in an elseworlds or post crisis deleting of history.

It would be quite cool if in those Earth One volumes, they make Bruce gay, or if say, Midnighter takes over the cowl. But if you just suddenly revealed cannon Batman was gay, it would feel unrealistic.

I think the best way for diversity to work, is to slowly and organically insert more origional charachters that aren't white straight males. Add a new lesbian cop here, a new transexual laywer there, a new chinese superhero here, a new muslim mayor there. Y'know, until the world of DC comics is representitive of real metropolitain society.

Just randomly swapping ethnicity, faith or sexuality of pre-existing things seems a bit cheap. Like, why settle for second best. Why have a half-hearted homosexual Batman that we all know isn't the real Batman becuase of 75 years of being straight, when you could have a built from the ground up new gay character that is unquestionably gay and supposed to be gay and is the definitive version of that characther that nobody can argue with.

The only area a swap works is with disability. Like, what happened to Barbara. But that's only one specific kind of disabilty. Why not have some important character like Montoya adopt a kid, but the kid has Down's Syndrome or something, and its new and organic and a way to make the world more representative and diverse rather than for example just straight up making Nightwing have Down's Syndrome one day.

New things can take off, just look how widespread and popular the court of owls has become, and all the different mediums they've spread to. Why not have Batman get a gay best friend, business assosciate, cop ally, vigilante equal who isn't his Batfamily underling but a true seperate equal, or something else.... and just let that become popular and spread into movies and videogames and stuff until its famous.

Or y'know, Batman reboot, Bruce is gay and always was in this new continuity and its handled correctly and doesn't feel mishandled.

I think Batman would be more likely to date a male Supervillain then a male Superhero given his taste in women .

The only thing Batman will date is Gotham City.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Why not just make every single comic character gay to avoid the possibility of underrepresenting the small percentage of the world that is gay?
    I feel like it won't stop until this is a reality.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post

Now now, no need for exaggeration. Batman & Superman will always be straight in the main DCU, just like Midnighter will always be gay and (insert character here because I can't think of one atm) will always be bi.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Now now, no need for exaggeration. Batman & Superman will always be straight in the main DCU, just like Midnighter will always be gay and (insert character here because I can't think of one atm) will always be bi.
    Constantine

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    What I mean is people won't stop asking for gay characters until every character is gay. Either they get what they want, and the universe becomes just as bland as when everyone was straight or they don't get what they want and just keep asking again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    Yes, that is the plan - to completely take over! But don't worry, we're easily distracted by Runway shows.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    ^ FTW.

The character has never been established to have such predilections .

Now, if he were to go undercover on a date with a dude....THAT could be entertaining and troll both the haters at the same time as the dreamers.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

BANNED

Bruce Wayne is about as asexual as a comics character can get, in all seriousness. He really isn't interested in anything except whupping up on bad guys in Gotham City. No fun hobbies, no extracurricular activities, he even has no interest in his own family. I think it would be reasonable for him to send Dick off to be his proxy in the Justice League so he'd never have to leave Gotham. Being rich and handsome makes it easy for him to get dates, but it's just arm candy and something that's expected of a man in his position. He's a eunuch by choice--there are people who just don't have urges for either sex. Perhaps in Bruce's case, seeing his parents murdered at such a young age has him so buried in PTSD that he subjugated even his hormones in puberty to fighting for Gotham.