Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    DC would need to make both Bruce and Clark gay, at the same time. Otherwise, what's the point?
    Not necessarily. Clark's not even the #1 male contender for Bruce's heart. That is, always has been, and always will be Dick Grayson.

Batman # 13 from 1942

World’s Finest # 59 from 1952

Batman # 84 from 1954

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

No thank you. Bruce doesn't need to date anyone be they man, woman or anything inbetween.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Why not just make every single comic character gay to avoid the possibility of underrepresenting the small percentage of the world that is gay?
    I feel like it won't stop until this is a reality.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post

Now now, no need for exaggeration. Batman & Superman will always be straight in the main DCU, just like Midnighter will always be gay and (insert character here because I can't think of one atm) will always be bi.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Now now, no need for exaggeration. Batman & Superman will always be straight in the main DCU, just like Midnighter will always be gay and (insert character here because I can't think of one atm) will always be bi.
    Constantine

Yes, that is the plan - to completely take over! But don't worry, we're easily distracted by Runway shows.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Batman's dating life never works out.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    What I mean is people won't stop asking for gay characters until every character is gay. Either they get what they want, and the universe becomes just as bland as when everyone was straight or they don't get what they want and just keep asking again and again.

BANNED

I actually have seen people demand that 99% of superheroes be LGBT with complete seriousness. It's an interesting mindset.

Not every main character has to be LGBT. Plus, if someone wants to read about gay Batman, there are millions of hard core smut fanfictions featuring Bruce having sex with every Robin, Clark and all his male rogues gallery, especially the Joker.

What I mean is people won't stop asking for gay characters until every character is gay. Either they get what they want, and the universe becomes just as bland as when everyone was straight or they don't get what they want and just keep asking again and again.
    How about waiting until some small percentage of high-profile characters (say, ones with their own book) are LGBT before accusing the pro-inclusion people of wanting everyone to be gay? Right now we've got Midnighter/Apollo, and I guess Constantine counts. And we're getting Batwoman soon? Rucka said Diana was "queer," but we haven't seen it in her comics yet. We're hardly at the take-over-the-world level yet- maybe you could cut us a little slack?

I spent multiple decades reading superhero stories about characters who were all, each and every one of them, straight. (Except for the ones who had no romantic entanglements whatsoever, gay, straight, or otherwise.) Most characters were introduced along with their opposite-sex Lois Lane equivalent included by default. I managed to survive. So seeing people react to the inclusion of a few gay characters, and some questions or (in this case, explicitly sarcastic) suggestions about certain characters' orientation - at this late date, after all this time of 100% heterosexuality - by saying "those people won't be satisfied until every single character is gay!" is... bemusing. Maybe you can learn to share?
    Doctor Bifrost

Quote Originally Posted by manga raw View Post
    I only like Batman is male superhero
    Nobody is suggesting that he not be male. Only that he date a guy. It's not the same thing.
    Doctor Bifrost

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I actually have seen people demand that 99% of superheroes be LGBT with complete seriousness. It's an interesting mindset.
    And, I suspect, a very, very rare one, even among LGBT pro-inclusion activists. Maybe you could provide a few citations?

I think it might be an interesting - and valuable, and even entertaining if they'd relax - for straight people to read a series in which almost everybody is gay. Or white people (I am one) to read a series in which most characters are people of color. You know, like gay people and people of color and women spent so much time reading comics in which the vast majority of characters were straight white males. It provides an interesting perspective to read things where "people like you" (or "people like me") aren't in the center of things.

I've been watching Atlanta on TV, which takes place almost entirely within a black community; the few white characters come and go in the periphery. It's immersive. I really like it the show, and the experience. Of course, it helps that the writing and acting are extremely well done.
    Doctor Bifrost

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I was talking to a few guys at the Northwest Press booth at the Denver Comiccon a couple of years ago. Northwest is a gay oriented publisher so I thought I would find out who these guys' favorite hero was. They said without hesitation BATMAN. I asked why and they said he was by far the gayest superhero. Here are the reasons I remember: he wears dark leather, hangs out with boys, (which they found troubling,) lives in a clean, immaculately designed and furnished home, dressed well when not in leather, didn't have much interest in a relationship with a female, worked out and was always posing.

It seemed to make sense at the time, and honestly, it still seems to. Maybe Bruce needs to be honest with himself and just come out already. Maybe he doesn't want to bring attention to his young male company.

Maybe he doesn't want to come out until he convinces every single superhero in both universes to go gay. Who knows?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    And, I suspect, a very, very rare one, even among LGBT pro-inclusion activists. Maybe you could provide a few citations?

I think it might be an interesting - and valuable, and even entertaining if they'd relax - for straight people to read a series in which almost everybody is gay. Or white people (I am one) to read a series in which most characters are people of color. You know, like gay people and people of color and women spent so much time reading comics in which the vast majority of characters were straight white males. It provides an interesting perspective to read things where "people like you" (or "people like me") aren't in the center of things.

I've been watching Atlanta on TV, which takes place almost entirely within a black community; the few white characters come and go in the periphery. It's immersive. I really like it the show, and the experience. Of course, it helps that the writing and acting are extremely well done.
    I'm watching Luke Cage, does that count?

And since I'm bi, I actually would really like to read a DC comic where almost everyone is LGBT. Marvel had that one Young Avengers run that was 3/4 LGBT that was even pretty good. Maybe DC should make a team with Midnighter, Apollo, Batwoman, and some original characters. That could work.