Astonishing Member

Default What back issues are you reading this month?

Even more than the new issues, I am always reading back issues of Spidey from different eras. Some issues have aged well, some haven’t. Some are still genuinely good, and some I just read again for nostalgia sake.

This week, I’ve been reading the original Man-Wolf saga from ASM #124-125 by Gerry Conway and Gil Kane. It’s goofy and dumb, but a lot of fun. Some real classic Bronze Age Spidey action and banter. I’m also rereading the Green Ninjas/Electro storyline from the post-clone saga era of Spidey in ASM #421-425 by Tom DeFalco and Steve Skroce. The concept of “green ninjas” has always been ridiculed, but the story actually isn’t that bad (although DeFalco seems to get his Asian cultures mixed up as these ninjas are from Korea). And the confrontation with Electro in ASM#425 is pretty cool. I’ve even softened on Steve Skroce, who I used to hate for replacing Mark Bagley. He’s still not my cup of tea, but his Spidey is very physically dynamic at least.

Speaking of polarizing artists, last week I read ‘Sometimes it Snows in April’, the Zeb Wells/ Chris Bachelo BND story from ASM #555-557. I’ve always had a hard time reading BND stories due to their association with OMD. I didn’t read much of BND when it came out, but have gone back to some of them over the years. This story is all right. I’m a sucker for stories that have Spidey fighting during bad weather like blizzards, and the Mayan death cult premise is original at least. I also think Bachelo is a decent fit for this arc and don’t dislike him like others do. But it’s nothing that great. I am trying to give this era more of a chance though, and it’s been a mixed bag. Really don’t care for Carlie, Lily, the undead and regressed Harry, Jackpot, Dexter Bennett, etc. But it did have ‘Unscheduled Stop’, which is a classic. Maybe I’ll reread that next.

What back issues are you guys reading lately or thinking of going back to soon?

Mighty Member

I've been on an ultimate binge lately, trying to get all 160 issues of the Peter Parker era, currently I have 4, 31, 33-105, 130-131, volume 2# 1 and 160.
    So I've been reading from Ultimate Venom onwards, currently on #44. Just waiting for my Ultimate Six to arrive so I can read them.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I've been reading the "Tombstone" tpb of Spectacular Spider-man issues the last few days. Good stuff.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Been reading some Black Widow lately. I think Spider-Man and her should team up more often, perhaps in their own ongoing series. Then they can get married, and then she can murder him and feast on his bones.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Second Ben Reilly omnibus. Don't ask me why...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Been reading some Black Widow lately. I think Spider-Man and her should team up more often, perhaps in their own ongoing series. Then they can get married, and then she can murder him and feast on his bones.
    I'd read that book.

----------------

I'm reading Spider-man by Todd McFarlane right now - I'd read Torment before, and the X-Force crossover at the end of his run, but none of the stuff in between, apparently.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Amazing Spider-Man #160 and a few issues on either side.
    This is around when I started really getting into comics.
    s-l500.jpg

Astonishing Member

I am currently re-reading early 90s Amazing Spider-Man. Before things got too dumb and grim with the robot parents and clone saga, there were a lot of great David Michelinie/ Mark Bagley stories that I think get forgotten about today, like ‘Invasion of the Spider Slayers’ storyline, the team-up with Nova against the Tri-Sentinel, the first 3-parter introducing Carnage (which is a hundred times better than the Maximum Carnage crossover). When people reflect on this early 90s era, most of the attention goes to the Harry Osborn saga in Spec, or Todd McFarlane’s adjective-less Spider-Man, but there’s a lot of great stuff in ASM around this time too. The MJ smoking subplot is a bit heavy handed though.