Page 163 of 184 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2750

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Ugh. Didn't even remember he was Robbie, what a waste. He appeared in like 1 episode for a minute.

Another great supporting character from the comics, they used him to pretty fulfilling effect in the 90s show especially.
    That whole episode was kind of weird. Liz Allan is Screwball for some reason (and faces no serious consequences for the actual crimes she commits in the episode), Robbie is there and out as soon as he appears, and there's maybe some Peter and Gwen teasing that never went anywhere?

Yeah, I grew up with the 90's show so it always hurts to see Robbie not get his due in media.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Marvel's Spider-Man's Swarm is not a Nazi?

I am aware, dumb question, but by removing Swarm from one of his most distinctive, yet oftentimes overlooked, based on being composed of bees, character traits that gave a man composed of bees character, his voice now sounds just as interchangeable as many other of the villains of the show.

For all I know, Marvel's Spider-Man's Swarm, was an English American.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-13-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I would say the latter.

While Ultimate Spider-Man wasn’t perfect, at least it did more with its verse than this show did.
    There might be a balance of the two things when I think about it.

I like Ultimate for knowing when to let go and when to use supporting cast members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    the MCU kids get on my nerves (sorry everyone) and honestly kind of feel shoehorned in a lot of the time,
    They're ok in Far From Home, can't say I'm willing to compliment them before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly have a hard time understanding why they'd cast Ernie Hudson as Robbie Robertson and then proceed to do nothing with him after giving him only two lines, even when Peter worked for the Bugle.
    I forgot they hired Winston Zedmore for this show.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Marvel's Spider-Man's Swarm is not a Nazi?

I am aware, dumb question, but by removing Swarm from one of his most distinctive, yet oftentimes overlooked, based on being composed of bees, character traits that gave a man composed of bees character, his voice now sounds just as interchangeable as many other of the villains of the show.

For all I know, Marvel's Spider-Man's Swarm, was an English American.
    None of the Spider-Man cartoons Swarm has appeared in has ever portrayed him as a Nazi, so this isn't something the 2017 cartoon has done first.
    Last edited by Pattern_Maker; 08-14-2020 at 02:06 AM.

That whole episode was kind of weird. Liz Allan is Screwball for some reason.
    Because her secret identity hasn't been revealed in the comics, so they had to assign one themselves.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That whole episode was kind of weird. Liz Allan is Screwball for some reason (and faces no serious consequences for the actual crimes she commits in the episode), Robbie is there and out as soon as he appears, and there's maybe some Peter and Gwen teasing that never went anywhere?

Yeah, I grew up with the 90's show so it always hurts to see Robbie not get his due in media.
    After the episode where the Jackal is revealed to be Warren, I can't remember any teasing. It's mostly Peter x Harry and Gwen x Anya with this damn show.
    Also, who thought making the Jackal Gwen's uncle was a good idea? I had a nice laugh. They could've just made him a Horizon professor with a personality disorder who highlights as a villain since they weren't doing that with Norman. Thank God the target audience for this never touch the books.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    None of the Spider-Man cartoons Swarm has appeared in has ever portrayed him as a Nazi, so this isn't something the 2017 cartoon has done first.
    But, however, this is probably the first Spider-Man cartoon in which Swarm appears to be a terrestrial being, of his own terrestrial sentience, a former human being turned into bees super villain, over the alien (Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends) and nano-bots (Ultimate Spider-Man). Not 100% accurate to comics, but closest to traditional Swarm so far yet in media form.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-14-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    After the episode where the Jackal is revealed to be Warren, I can't remember any teasing. It's mostly Peter x Harry and Gwen x Anya with this damn show.
    Also, who thought making the Jackal Gwen's uncle was a good idea? I had a nice laugh. They could've just made him a Horizon professor with a personality disorder who highlights as a villain since they weren't doing that with Norman. Thank God the target audience for this never touch the books.
    It could've been a good idea if they had any sort of interaction with each other after the reveal!

I feel like the problem is that the writers are too wishy-washy and non-committal with their storylines. They aren't sure if they want it to be close to the comic books or not.

Mighty Member

You know, when it comes to the supporting cast if things were set up and expanded on it'd be cool...but it seems some major plot points (like uncle Raymond) seem to just disappear.

Even Spectacular didn't really use the Bugle cast (sans Jonah and Foswell) all that much due to their personal lives not really connecting to Spider-Man or Peter all that much (yet). However we are at least led to believe that they would have been expanded on had the series continued. They had to cut Ned and Betty scenes during the show proper, but with the Hobgoblin showing up I am led to believe that they would have gotten more of a focus (also with Ned asking to do investigations on Spidey and Gobby in season 1, and interviewing about Spidey in season 2, I'm willing to believe when another version of Gobby shows up, he'd have another thing to work on in season 3). As for Robbie, his said that his past with Tombstone would have been brought up with the crime lord knocked from his perch (I'm led to believe that Lonnie's succession was an "Uncle Ben" moment.)

Hmm, maybe if Tombstone gets introduced in this show...HECK the fact that they would be able to tackle both Tombstone AND Janice and their relations with the Robertson family would be something that stands out. Since this show loves teenagers as villains (especially those who have SCIENCE), I'm actually surprised they didn't just skip over the original Beetle and go straight to Janice.

So far the best thing that i had seen out of this show is seeing Robbie Daymond/Goro Akechi/Hubert von Vestra as Superior Spider-Man, his dialogues are actually fun in the clips. Knowing the show thougth, i imagine that the storyarc fell in the same problems than Superior back in 2013-14.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yeah. Growing up on the 90s cartoon, the Tombstone story and helping Peter with the Six Soldiers story were pretty good for Robbie.

Re-reading Frontier's post, I forgot Liz was Screwball. Which means she bullied her best friend's dad for internet clout and then her thirst for clout got her friend and other classmates attacked by a super-villain. Good thing Neil Druckmann wrote that episode so she got off scott-free.

Also they introduced John Jameson as Man-Wolf being black-mailed by Norman Osborn but it gets dropped cuz Norman blew up. gg.
    "Cable was right!"

All this stuff is highlighting how sloppy this show is lol. I admire they tried to be more serialized from the start as opposed to Ultimate's more episodic format for the majority of its run, but man is it ever inelegant.

Kinda wish instead of being the one Spidey show that starts with the origin this show just woulda made Peter older and established, maybe make him a teacher at Horizon. Without changing much of the show's setup I think that would have worked for it infinitely better. It's weird for me reconciling so many plot threads inspired by Slott's run where it was an experienced Spidey at the top of his game taking his crimefighting to the next level as opposed to this where he starts out with all that access and ability.

It's those things that feel incongruous trying to do classic teenage Spider-Man yet also make him friends with soon-to-be-Spider's Miles, Gwen, and Anya- where he's literally just started out and within months Miles also becomes a Spider-Man and looks up to Peter like he's a more experienced role model. Then months after that literally everybody in NY gets spider powers with the Spider-Island story.

They do Doc Ock's fall to villainy and after a battle or two with Spider-Man they're already in Superior setup mode acting like they're bitter sworn enemies when they've only known each other for probably less than a year. The PS4 game had Peter and Otto literally knew each other for years and were close friends so their fallout is more believable and affecting with only one big emotional battle between the two. Otto's physical ailments are a big reason for his motivations in trying to do what he does so it naturally builds that possible Superior story into the DNA right from the get-go.

The whole series has a lot of jumping through hoops and making weird decisions that maybe could have been solved if they didn't go to the defacto "it's gotta be about a teenage Peter Parker early in his Spider-Man career" status quo most of these shows do- when you also have Miles getting his powers like 10 episodes in and he could have served that role much more smoother.

Astonishing Member

I always felt the problem was that too much stuff happened too soon. We basically started with a finished story with little reason to appreciate it.

The problem I have with blaming "teenage Peter" is that Ultimate Spider-Man (comics) and Spectacular Spider-Man were great. Blaming Peter's age feels like scapegoating.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always felt the problem was that too much stuff happened too soon. We basically started with a finished story with little reason to appreciate it.

The problem I have with blaming "teenage Peter" is that Ultimate Spider-Man (comics) and Spectacular Spider-Man were great. Blaming Peter's age feels like scapegoating.
    Nah, the age isn't the problem, even if prefer Peter as an adult, i'm actually fine with a good teenage Peter, Spec is a great example and did the job of Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man (wich in my opinion, is not that great) far better, a true modernization of the characther, even while including things from adult Peter early on (after all i don't think that we have to wait for him to be married in order to have a Venom storyline). I think that is just a preference that some have.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Because her secret identity hasn't been revealed in the comics, so they had to assign one themselves.
    I don't think that matters so much when they haven't really addressed the civilian identities of 90% of the villains on this show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    In the Screwball episode, Gwen helps Peter investigate Hammerhead and there's a scene where he compliments her and they stare at each other for a bit. It felt weird because it was probably the closest to a tease of them in the show but it didn't go anywhere.

The whole "Gwen being The Jackal's niece" thing really kind of fell by the wayside after the pre-Spider-Island episode. Like, you'd think it would impact Gwen as a hero somewhat, but not really. And then they kind of forgot to actually deal with the Jackal after Spider-Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    But, however, this is probably the first Spider-Man cartoon in which Swarm appears to be a terrestrial being, of his own terrestrial sentience, a former human being turned into bees super villain, over the alien (Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends) and nano-bots (Ultimate Spider-Man). Not 100% accurate to comics, but closest to traditional Swarm so far yet in media form.
    Emcee Swarm is kind of weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Even Spectacular didn't really use the Bugle cast (sans Jonah and Foswell) all that much due to their personal lives not really connecting to Spider-Man or Peter all that much (yet). However we are at least led to believe that they would have been expanded on had the series continued. They had to cut Ned and Betty scenes during the show proper, but with the Hobgoblin showing up I am led to believe that they would have gotten more of a focus (also with Ned asking to do investigations on Spidey and Gobby in season 1, and interviewing about Spidey in season 2, I'm willing to believe when another version of Gobby shows up, he'd have another thing to work on in season 3). As for Robbie, his said that his past with Tombstone would have been brought up with the crime lord knocked from his perch (I'm led to believe that Lonnie's succession was an "Uncle Ben" moment.)
    I was expecting they'd finally get to the Tombstone/Robbie relationship in season 3, although for how major Tombstone was on that show I'm kind of surprised it never came up.
    Hmm, maybe if Tombstone gets introduced in this show...HECK the fact that they would be able to tackle both Tombstone AND Janice and their relations with the Robertson family would be something that stands out. Since this show loves teenagers as villains (especially those who have SCIENCE), I'm actually surprised they didn't just skip over the original Beetle and go straight to Janice.
    Considering OG!Beetle barely did much other than be another tech-based villain, they probably weren't planning to do much with the identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    So far the best thing that i had seen out of this show is seeing Robbie Daymond/Goro Akechi/Hubert von Vestra as Superior Spider-Man, his dialogues are actually fun in the clips. Knowing the show thougth, i imagine that the storyarc fell in the same problems than Superior back in 2013-14.
    Robbie did an amazing job as SpOck. Sometimes it really felt like if Akechi were Spider-Man.

I would say the show actually benefited from condensing and scaling back Superior to some extent. I think it still went a little too easy on Doc Ock, but not as egregiously as the comic did.